post-fuegoheader.jpg

It was a tough choice as you threw some awesome projects our way, but we’ve selected the winner for Day 1: Jorge Barrios.

Jorge’s project: “I just finished my first-ever project, a workbench to go in my first-ever garage in the first-ever house we bought. The pros on tv make it look so easy, cut here, measure like so, nail it up, sand and voila, a spanking new dresser or entertainment center. It’s not that easy, I didn’t finish my workbench in 30 minutes, not including time for commercials. It took me a little over a month of casual work inbetween other more pressing demands on my time. I didn’t own any tools until very recently. I had a hammer, a couple of screwdrivers and some bungee cords when we bought the house. I skulk around Craigslist all day long looking for tools, that’s how I scored a table saw (it was free!), an old router ($20), 10 clamps of varying sizes (only $23!!!), miscellaneous router bits, nail punches, doohickeys, doodahs, geegaws, and whatchamacallits. I am preparing for christmas by leaving various tool catalogues floating around the house where my wife can’t fail to notice the tools I need (want) circled in red crayon and stained with drool.

“In any case, I am the proud owner of a new house that needs alot of TLC, and I decided I needed a workbench to work on, not only for house projects, but also to learn the art of fine woodworking and furniture making, something I’ve wanted to do for many a year. I loaned books from the library and read up on how to build a sturdy workbench, eventually deciding to spend my lunch money on a good top made from red oak 1×3s and go cheap on the legs using construction-grade lumber. The top is a laminate held together with glue and biscuits. It took a long time to assemble and it nearly killed my knees, as I was working on the floor. I planed it by hand and sanded it with a random orbital sander, assembled the legs and added a woodworking vice. It came out quite nicely, if I say so myself, for my first project. In fact, two of my buddies like it so much that they’ve asked me to build’em one each, which I am more than happy to do (at cost) now that I know how to get it done. My wife has requested a few trellises, a garden bench, new raised flowerbeds, a composting bin, a shed for the trashcans, a potting table and a few cutting boards. She now thinks I am handy around the house and humors my mess in the garage. A circular saw is on Santa’s list, I have been good. A circular saw would make me make my wife happy, and what could be better than that?

“It’d make me happy as well.”

Jorge’s workbench:

post-jwb.jpg

If you didn’t win — don’t despair; you’ve got 24 more days to win!  Just post your winter project (that’d make use of the Fuego) as a comment on this post for another chance to win.

Contest Details [Toolmonger/RIDGID]

10 Responses to 25 Days of Fuego: Day 1 Winner, Another Chance to Win

1. Jorge Barrios says:

Thank you very much! It was a very pleasant surprise reading the email this morning. I have taken ‘circular saw’ off my Santa list and moved ‘drill press’ to the top 🙂 Can’t wait to try out. Thanks again. I’ll be posting some pics when it arrives and when I start using it, to prove I still have all 10 fingers.

Jorge

2. Frank Hicinbothem says:

Whoops, I snuck my project in on the wrong day. Let’s try that again.

I’ve got a pile of leftover mahogany from another boating project. I want to build a folding kayak stand for my backyard, similar to this one but made from mahogany instead of nasty plastic.

3. Michael says:

While I have plenty of winter projects, most of them are suitable for shopwork with my tablesaw. As a furniture maker I have a small, but decent shop ( you can see a recent example of my work at http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d50/BobbyMikeNY/MVC-058S.jpg ), but I don’t need a circular saw for my work so I’ve never felt good about buying one.

The are several notable exceptions are restoring the early 1800’s post and beam barn behind my shop, a greenhouse for cold weather greens for my patient wife, and adding to the ever expanding treehouse I’m building with my boys. All three of these projects could benefit from the flexibilty of a circular saw. For two of these projects I’ll be on a ladder, or in a tree, which makes it difficult to use a miter saw, or a tablesaw.

It may seem strange to plan on doing outdoor projects in the winter (in Upstate NY), but that’s when my scedule lightens up and I can get to my own projects.

4. pat couzens says:

There are two in my near future, my 11 year old son has promised to forgo a new playstation if I would build him a loft bed, with an access hatch on the bottom, so that is a go.

The second is to try to build some of these tetris inspired bookcases.
    Sorry, i don’t know how to make it a link. These are very cool, at least to me but $120 plus shipping for a 4 cubic foot box should come with a guy to assemble a install it.

I recently found out why my $19 circ saw was $19, when i dropped it and the base plate sheared off. It sure would be nice not to have to borrow dad’s anymore.

5. Marko says:

Here’s a simple project that could be done with the Fuego: Cub Scout Bird House (http://gotmarko.com/article/111/cub-scout-bird-house).

I recently made four kits for the boys in my son’s Cub Scout den and they turned out great. With the exception of the entrance hole, the entire project could be cut with just the Fuego.

6. Brett says:

Congratulations Jorge.
    24 more chances for the rest of us. I just checked Santa’s list and my name was on it. Fingers are crossed that I’ll have a new circ saw to use when making my new benches this winter.

7. Cyberkender says:

Congrats, Jorge! Nice bench, too. That’s almost exactly like the one that is on my Winter To-Do list. :>

8. Patrick says:

I have a few projects to finish. First I’m building my first workbench out of 2×4’s and 2×8’s. Then I need to build of shelves to store everything that is being displaced my my work bench. But the one I’m most proud about is building a step stool for my toddler so he can reach the sink in his bathroom. Having a good circular saw would help out greatly. Now I know you can’t say no to this face. http://www.flickr.com/photos/36364214@N00/312443830/in/photostream/

9. Daniel says:

I have a very small shop, so i am planning to build a covered area extending from the entrance so I can work on projects that require ventilation (painting, parts cleaning), and dirty jobs (sanding, grinding) outside without getting wet (I live near Seattle). I have a really old circular saw that has been handed down a couple generations, it makes an awful noise when you turn it on, so I am not sure it would last through this project. I have been looking at what to purchase? I already have the 4×4’s I need, so its just the 2×4’s and bracing that still need to be cut to fit.
    (not sure if I post this here or under the next post for the contest)