post-vipergrip.jpg

Will says: “I thought this sounded too good to be true when my brother told me about it, but once I used it I quickly found it to be the real deal.  It takes a bit of getting used to — you have to grab it towards the front — but the way it performs makes it a small hurdle.  This thing has teeth that are fierce so it doesn’t slip, and its jaws self-size with no dialing.”

We used something similar (from Husky) to remove a sheared bolt a while back, but the mechanism in these looks pretty interesting.

The ViperGrip [IDL Tools]

11 Responses to Reader Find: IDL Tools’ ViperGrip

1. bodiby says:

Is this like a pair of super vice-grips?

2. Frank Hicinbothem says:

And here I thought the Bionic Wrench was the ugliest tool I was going to see his week! Someone went out of their way to make this thing look weird.

3. Will says:

Frank — it might not be the prettiest thing you’ve seen but it really does perform beautifully.

As I said in my post, I was skeptical about it too. It does take a small amount of getting used to (grab it upfront) but I was really impressed once I put it to the test. I got over its looks pretty quickly. Hey whatever works best, I’ll use it — ugly or not!

In a sense it is like a ViceGrip + more because it’s jaws self size the material and don’t need to be dialed open or closed. It also has a switch on it so it can be locking or non-locking.

Ugly or not — I liked it and think others will too.

4. Steve Quigley says:

Got one last year – best pliers I ever used. I use it for something almost every day. Some guys I work with tried to get one but it is tough to find because it is not in a lot of stores.

5. Ken says:

Why all the excitement. Sears had these a long time ago.

6. Frank Hicinbothem says:

I don’t doubt the utility of the thing, but the aesthetics of a tool are nearly as important to me as the performance. The way a tool looks, how it feels in my hand, and the materials it’s made from *do* make a difference. When I make something, I take the time to design it so it’s pleasing to the eye as well as functional. It annoys me when tool designers don’t bother, or think they need to make the thing look weird just to be “edgy.”

I’m not being some kind of Luddite here; there are a lot of tools that have newer designs that I embrace wholeheartedly. The Sear Dead-On framing hammer is a good example. It’s not a normal-looking framing hammer, but it has nice lines and it just feels natural in my hand. On the other hand, I much prefer my old Milwaukee Sawz-All to several others I’ve used, because they went to the trouble of making the barrel and grip rough enough that it doesn’t slip but smooth enough that it feels comfortable int he hand. These are small things, but they matter to me.

7. Frank Hicinbothem says:

ps. Just to be contrary, I’ve never liked the design of the “real” Vise-Grips either. The handles are too smooth and it’s too easy to pinch yourself when operating them one-handed.

8. Stuart says:

Canadian Tire (In Canada duh) has these on sale this week.

9. John says:

Frank’s right feel is important. Especially if you are using them a lot. But Frank — I have used these both as the SeberGrip and now as the ViperGrip and while they may look odd they actually feel great in your hand and the “small things” were actually covered by these guys. For example- there is not wide draw required to open the jawsas there is with standard pliers and they do have some cushion (not much but some) on the handles — it also helps with not slipping.

Still they could look better — but I wouldn’t trade mine for anything. They are worth a shot.

Incidentally — you can also get them at http://www.buyvipergrip.com too.