question-tm.jpgWhat’s the first tool you grab when you’re heading out the door?¬† Did you pick up something special at the flea market this¬†last weekend?

If you’ve got a spare moment, drop us a line via our Submit a Tool form and tell us about your favorite tool — other Toolmongers want to know!

8 Responses to What’s your favorite tool?

1. Myself says:

You’ve already covered it, the SwissTech MicroPlus is my ever-present companion and the only tool I need a lot of the time. There’s also a Photon MicroLight on the keychain, and when that won’t do, I carry a Mini-Mag with the Nite-Ize LED drop-in conversion. Though if I had to buy again, I think I’d go for a native MagLED or a Fenix L1T.

2. Aaron says:

Leatherman Wave, by far the best grab and go tool I have ever had.

3. steve says:

An $8 Black and Decker corded drill. I bought it at a black & decker outlet store. THe thing will not die, I have drilled through concrete, steel, rebar you name it. I’m convinced it will be around forever

4. Jon says:

I second Aaron. My Leatherman Wave rarely leaves my side (except when I board an aluminum tube that’s heading for 30,000 feet.) I miss the days you could carry one there…

5. James B says:

I luv my pritchel. That is the chisel blacksmiths use to clear the holes in horseshoes. Not being a blacksmith, or even that fond of horses, I have other uses for it.

I put a lift on my Jeep last week, and here are the things I used it for:
    – breaking the aluminum seal on automotive liquids
    – sticking through a bracket, into a bushing to align the holes
    – sticking under a bolt head, that was stuck in a bushing, to use as a drift
    – using the shaft to tap bolts into a bushing
    – prybar to lift my brake calipers
    – turning the drum brake adjuster
    – hammering between the steering knuckle and bearing retainer to loosen
    – hamering into the loop of a cotter pin to get it out far enough for vice-grips
    – sticking in a u-joint to hold it while I removed the clips

y’all get the idea? This is hands down my favorite tool.

6. Andy says:

4″ and 5 & 1/2″ standard jaw Vise Grips. Extremely durable, extremely versatile. If you tighten them past locking width for your object, they function just like regular pliers. And once one dislodges the closing mechanism, the inner jaw rests at a 90 degree angle to the outer one and it’s a whole new tool. I’ve set the outer jaw tip against things and used it as a drift, for example, tapping on the adjustment knob with the hammer. One or both of these tools live in my tool belt almost all of the time, no matter what I’m doing. I’m not a fan of the needlenose models because of the noticeable jaw flexion when gripping at the jaw tips.

7. ambush27 says: