post-panasonicmetalsaw.jpg

Continuing today’s cordless metalworking theme, here’s a cordless 6-1/2″ metal circ saw from Panasonic.  It runs at 2,900 RPM and draws power from an 18V 3.5 Ah battery.  It also features a wrap-around blade guard with a transparent window at the front so you can see what you’re cutting.

It looks like this is really designed to cut metal studs or conduit on construction sites — a job which it looks like it could handle.  It’s Ni-MH powered — Panasonic sells a lot of tools overseas, too — and includes a 65-minute charger.  That might be a bit long for some workers’ tastes.

If any of you have experience with one of these — or one like it — please share.

MSRP is an optimistic $439, but street pricing really starts around $360.

18V Cordless Metal Saw Kit [Panasonic]
Street Pricing [Froogle]

7 Responses to Finds: Panasonic’s Cordless Metal Saw

1. Myself says:

Let me know when the cordless welders are out…

2. Jason says:

What’s the blade look like on it?

3. Scott says:

I’ve used the little brother to this tool, which uses 15.6V batteries. If this one is anything like Panasonics smaller one, I’m sure that it kicks some major butt. I’ve used the smaller one from cutting sheet metal to rigid conduit pipe.

4. Rob says:

Chuck, that Ready Welder is pretty cool. I saw quite a few off-road rigs in Moab that used alternators but they were all stick (not that there’s anything wrong with that).

Myself, there are lots of cordless welders out there, most of them gas powered 😉

5. Myself says:

Man, I love this site. 🙂 That is all.

6. ambush says:

65 minutes may not be as fast as some people would like but its about as fast as you can charge without the battery melting or at least becoming very hot.