post-drpowerwagon.jpg

Think of it as lawnmower meets little red wagon.  Or maybe it’s just easier to think of it as the ultimate lazy-man’s wheelbarrow.  Either way, this is a pretty cool piece of gardening gear from DR.

The model in the picture above is powered by a 5.5 HP Briggs Quantum engine, and (according to DR) can move loads up to 500 lbs.  The black bin dumps forward to facilitate unloading, and it’s electric start.  Let the Powerwagon races begin.

Pricing starts around $1,500, so it’s not really the poor-man’s wheelbarrow.  DR is running a sale right now, and this model is marked down to $1,271.20.  (Don’t forget that $0.20.)  If you need more hauling capactiy, there are two larger models: the 6-3/4 HP Pro Powerwagon, and even the 6-3/4 HP Pro Pack Powerwagon that features a powered lift bed.  (The top-o-the-line model is only $700 + change more than the base model.)

The Powerwagon [DR]

8 Responses to Finds: The DR Powerwagon

1. Rob says:

That’s pretty neat but for the same money I could have a riding mower / lawn tractor and pull a small lawn cart around. maybe not as nice but a bit more useful unless you just need a motorized cart.

2. PaulS. says:

I looked at the DRpower.com site. Their brush mower is interesting because it can accept several attachments, such as a snow blower and a 6000 watt generator, but not all at the same time 🙂 There might be some cost benefit to this in the fact that you’re maintaining just one engine, while the cost of the attachments is not too out of line with stand-alone power equipment . IMO, these just don’t appear to be aimed toward the typical suburban resident/homeowner, but more toward rural landowners and commercial grounds maintenance operations.

PaulS.

3. john dennis says:

We own a DR brush cutter that can opt as a mower just by changing blades, we are now considering a DR power wagon, we are both retired and I am disabled with hands, back, diabetes, and heart condition, we have ten acres with a lot of brush cleanup to do and we garden and we will be setting up a greenhouse this spring, although we do hire someone in to do the big heavy jobs when we can our brush cutter is a life saver in more ways then one, we are looking forward to purchasing the DR wagon and the absolute pleasure of using another piece of DR equipment, just thought you might like to know how we feel about DR.

John & Paulette

4. lou says:

Last yr I carried blocked wood as far as 40 yards through the woods to pickup, many weighted 50 + lbs. Do this until you have 2 + cords of wood and see how your back & legs feel. At 70 yrs old this dr powerwagon look REAL interesting. I just have to find room to store it.

5. John says:

I’ve had a DR Powerwagon for about 14 years. It is the most versatile piece of equipment I’ve ever owned, and I’m an outdoor power equipment freak. I have both the wood and the plastic dump bodies, but have never had the plastic one on the machine. Recommend that unless you plan to carry squishy stuff or cement in the thing, get the wood and pass on the plastic.

I use the machine for hauling firewood out of the woods and around the place. (6 years ago bought a CUT with loader, and it has replaced this machine for some stuff, but will never get into the woods for firewood without clearing and leveling a path as I go.) I use it to stand on when trimming shrubs. I use it for a sawhorse for cutting lumber, for moving power equipment around, etc. One thing you should take note of is that although it claims to be “all terrain,” there is such a thing as too much “all.” I once took it down into a bit of a ravine here to cut a windfall tree into firewood, and couldn’t get the wood back up the hill. Had a difficult time getting the DR wagon up the hill, too, and rolled it once. The transmission doesn’t have much ground clearance, so you have to take that into consideration with the “all terrain” claim. If you want tire chains, buy theirs because the clearances are tight and regular chains of the right size don’t fit. Also, even with chains, the low tranny means you are limited to shallow snow and mud.

Even with those limitations considered, I consider this machine well worth buying. They no longer make a sulky for it, which is too bad, because on relatively level ground it’s a handy attachment. I’ve been meaning for years to do some customization, adding removable side stakes for light material like brush, etc. and possibly hanging chain saws, trimmers, or whatever tools I’m bringing with me.

We have a classic old Wheelhorse garden tractor and a 4×4 CUT here, but this machine goes places where those could never, and it does it easily.

6. John says:

Should have mentioned that my woods here is about 80% hemlock and the ground is mostly hemlock needles and branches that have fallen, so the traction coming up that hill is about as bad as it gets. If it were normal ground and fairly smooth, it would probably have handled it easily.

Been meaning to take the plastic body and bolt a couple runners to the bottom, probably 2×4’s or something and use it for a utility sled.

7. Ned says:

I have a DR field and brush mower. Does anybody have a plan to build a power wagon type box that I can attach to the engine and drive wheels of the mower?

8. Brian Fisher says: