doorbuzzer.jpg

Laugh if you want to, but the constant noise of door buzzers on vehicles in service can make make the shop and everyone in it a little punchy after a while.  We were already conditioned by having spent a good bit of time in the shop listening to our Project Garage Yukon buzzing at us, so when we came across the Door Buzzer Sanity Tool, we thought its name made perfect sense

Vehicles with the driver’s – and sometimes passenger’s – door open will bing, buzz and generally make your ears hurt with a constant drone of tone generated madness.  The sanity tool — which is simply a loop spring with two arms attached — is designed to be jammed in the door frame and suction cupped to the door to push the indicator stud, thus stopping the buzzing.  This makes for a quieter workplace and happier DIYs.

The Sanity Tool will fit in most door jambs, and we feel $12 isn’t a high price to pay for the sound of silence.

Door Buzzer Sanity Tool [Thexton]
Street Pricing [Froogle]

7 Responses to Finds: Door Buzzer Sanity Tool

1. DeadlyDad says:

I’m a DIY kind of guy, so I think that I’ll just /make/ something like that to save my sanity (and hearing) while I clean out my truck, etc. I /would/ have bought one, but I’m mad at them for making me smack my head because I should have thought of it /years/ ago.

2. Harry Zier says:

They actually make a multi piece set for the different styles door jamb switches. For those times when you’re working on the interior and the key has to be on and the door open, they’re priceless.

3. toolaremia says:

This won’t work on newer vehicles. My 2002 Dodge truck has no plunger. The switch appears to be integrated into the latch mechanism. Seems to be that way on a couple other newer cars I looked at.

That actually makes sense, since the latch can fail to latch with the door “closed”. With the switch in the latch, the door won’t indicate “closed” unless it is closed and latched.

4. Rob says:

So couldn’t you just tape down the offending plunger (if there is one)?

5. Myself says:

Rob, have you found tape that works in this application? The mechanical advantage favors the plunger, it has a fairly strong spring and it only has to exert a little force against the tape to put tremendous pull on the adhesive. It’s like why a clothesline gets harder to pull the closer it gets to horizontal.

6. Dan says:

OH WOW.. Would have loved one of these when working on the car stereo.

7. shawn says:

On my car I always just unplugged the wire going to the plunger. Usually there is a screw under the rubber bit holding the plunger to the door jam. This worked for me when I was trying to make all the electronics working after I swapped engines. Working under the dash trying to follow a certain wire is torture if you have to listen to the door open chime. The only problem with unplugging the wire is it can fall down in the door jam. I think I’ll pass on this $20 to $30 tool especially when I can silence that buzzer with a screwdriver that I already own.