quicktwist.jpg

If Paul Bunyan had a bread twisty tie, this would be it.  KwikTwist is an industrial size twist tie able to hold (so they claim) up to 100 lbs.  That’s not too bad for something that looks like a big bendy straw.

The interior components consist of a heavy gauge steel alloy wire covered with two millimeters of plastic shielding. The exterior foam is soft and easy for the user to wrap or tie around things.  The KwikTwist will also float in water, making it a pretty good match for boating and watercraft applications.

Use is pretty straight forward: Wrap it around any object, make 3 tight twists, and your object is held securely in place.  KwikTwist also has male and female connecting brass ends that allow for daisy chains.  To connect the 2 pieces you simply remove the end caps and screw them together to create the length desired.

Street Pricing starts at $6.

KwikTwist [KwikTwist]
Street Pricing [Froogle]

7 Responses to Finds: KwikTwist

1. Kai says:

Looks good, although I’m left wondering about the durability of them – would the internal wire be prone to cracking or breaking after repeated twisting and untwisting?

2. Myself says:

Carabiners and the Cable Cuff finally have some competition, it appears! I too suspect that they might degrade after some service, but I think if you’re using them that much, occasional replacement shouldn’t be a big deal.

The foam probably helps suppress rattles in a lot of applications, too. Big plus.

3. Eli says:

Armature wire covered with foam. You’d probably be able to make ten or twenty of your own for the same price. (minus the foam of course, unless you wanted to get really fancy and cover the wire with heatshrink tube)

4. bob says:

These things are great. I’ve not broken one yet. For my most brutal test, I’ve used them to hang boat fenders overboard at my slip. After 2 seasons in the weather 24-7, they have not degraded or broken at all, and the fact that they can be threaded together comes in handy for long runs (where there is no rail or cleat to tie on to. One run I did was from the windshield support, over the glass/frame, and down the side for a temporary side docking at a restaurant. Took 2 pieces threaded together). The foam has remained soft and fully intact, and it doesn ‘t scuff up the boat’s gel coat from a season-long rubbing like rope does. Where I dock the water is pretty rough, and the fenders are regularly being pinched between the boat and dock. When the fender is pinched as the boat is rising up, this creates a pretty strong tug on the tie. The ties have stood up nicely to this for 2 seasons without coming apart or losing me a fender (about 5 months per season, late April through September).

I’ve also used ’em to tie up tools, to tie items to the roof rack of my SUV, and to secure items in the bed of my pickup. After repeated bending they haven’t yet shown signs of weakening … I don’t think the core wire is monofilament … although I have not cut the core wire’s plastic coating open to look within, pulling back the foam and looking at the plastic shielding over the core wire looks as if the wire is some type of malleable braided cable.

5. James b (tool skeptic) says:

Hey, this gives me an idea for what I can do wtih that bendable blue curve transfer device that always has just enough spring-back to never really transfer a curve. I’ll use it to keep the rear seatbelt strap from flapping when the top is off the Jeep, or maybe to keep that air compressor hose coiled nicely.

6. Ivan says:

Finally a way to hang my kids on the wall without leaving marks, ha-ha.
    Anyway, seems definitely worth a shot for many things as I’m totally afraid of those bungee cords. I can only imagine when they fly off.

7. Scott says:

BS. The pair I bought at Lowes broke after the fifth application. I was using them to keep the front tire of my bike steady when it was mounted on the bike rack of my truck. Now their web site is down….I gues they didn’t last as a corporation either.