post-dremelezlock.jpg

We’re huge Dremel fans here at Toolmonger, and we’ve used their tools and accessories for all sorts of projects over the years — some we imagine Dremel intended, and some they’d probably never considered.  In the last few years, though, Dremel’s really stepped up the innovation.  Their latest: The EZ-Lock.

Remember what a pain it is (was) to install cut-off wheels and the like?  It just got a lot easier.  With the new EZ-Lock system you simply push and twist to install the wheel.

The system consists of a new mandrel with a specially-shaped tip.  This new tip accepts the EZ-Lock accessories, which currently are mostly cutting and polishing tools.  Heck, it’s pretty easy to understand from the picture alone.

Dremel sells a “starter kit” that includes a mandrel and five cutting wheels, and you can expand from there with all sorts of accessories — just like always with Dremel.

Street pricing for the kit starts around $12, and you can find them just about anywhere tools are sold.

EZ-Lock Starter Kit [Dremel]
Street Pricing [Froogle]

10 Responses to Finds: Dremel’s EZ-Lock

1. Fletcher says:

It’s about time. On some projects, I can watch that little cannister of cut-off wheels disappear faster than Pringles.

2. PeterP says:

*sigh*

Another pilgrimage to Home Depot is in order. That looks really slick!

3. Chuck Cage says:

Fletcher:

You should see the 4-1/2″-ers go when you’re cutting expanded metal with your angle grinder…

4. Rob says:

That looks pretty neat. Too bad you can’t use them with the regular wheels.

5. Sean O'Hara says:

I’ll say this… anything is better than the old system of getting those wheels on. This looks like it might hold something and be easy to work with.

6. Myself says:

The old system wouldn’t be so bad if the screwdriver were philips, torx, or anything other than straightblade. But watching it slip out of the slot and crash through the middle of a disc was just infuriating. I ended up gently smashing my mandrel screw in a vise to create some tiny ridges at the end that reduced the tendency for slip-out, but it still happens more than I’d like.

7. Fletcher says:

Chuck,
    I’ve been fortunate so far not to have an angle grinder wheel blow on me yet. I’m sure my time’s coming, so I make a conscious effort to stay on the guard side 😉

8. Ivan says:

That’s all good and well but now I first have to pitch my existing ones. Maybe I just need to find a bigger project to get them all done.
    On the other hand hopeful they take this direction for some of the other bits too.

9. CyberKender says:

Damn! I can tell this place is evil already. I just discover ToolMonger, and the very first thing is this sweet little improvement for my Dremel. At least I I’m a bit low on cut-off wheels, so I won’t feel like wasting too many.
    There goes any extra cash I had.

10. Hank says:

Check out jewelry-making/rock & gem working shops/catalogs.
    There is a snap-on/off type of mandrel for SANDING discs available that has saved me much frustration. I was given my first ones by a dental casting tech I knew. She thought they might help me-was she ever right! There are also a variety of impregnated rubber cutting/polishing wheels to be found in the same place.