post-ryobiradio.jpg

You’ve got to give Ryobi some credit for extending their One+ line well beyond the standard drill, recip, circ, and flashlight.  We’ve already written about their fan — a great idea — and now they’ve released a radio, too — both powered by the standard 18V Ryobi One+ batteries.

It’s a mono FM radio — why bother with stereo on a jobsite, anyway — that Ryobi claims’ll run a full eight hours on a single One+ battery charge.  It’s also got a 1/8″/3.5mm input jack on the side which allows you to jack in your iPod or other MP3 player to bring your own music.

It’ll be available for “under $25” at Home Depot, Ryobi says, and it features their standard 2-year warranty and 30-day no-risk satisfaction guarantee.

The Ryobi site’s been a little wonky today.  If the link below doesn’t work, try going to http://www.oneplustools.com/, clicking on “specialty” in the header menu, and selecting the radio.  Or, just look for it soon at Home Depot.

P740 One+ Radio [Ryobi]

19 Responses to Finds: Ryobi One+ Radio

1. PeterP says:

Interesting idea. Dewalt makes a battery charger/radio/cd player that i really like, and avoids taking up an extra outlet while charging batteries…

2. Bob says:

The radio looks nifty. I wonder how many watts it puts out, how loud it is.

Stereo would have been better, but for less than $25 I guess you can’t complain.

Are people still liking the One+ tools? It’s time for me to buy, and their price is certainly right.

3. Myself says:

This is new since my last visit to the OnePlus site, a week or so ago! Ryobi’s really impressing me with this line; I’m seriously leaning in that direction for my next tool investment. I can’t say the silver-painted plastic will still look snazzy after a few months, but the vulnerable bits are well recessed and I’d assume the sound quality is decent. I wonder if that dinky antenna will pull in my favorite college station…

A lot of these “tools” strike me as being really useful in off-grid situations, like camping or emergency operations. Take the OnePlus fan, for example. I’m not a ham radio operator, but I know several, and I dropped in on the local club’s “field day” exercises a few years ago. Ever since then, I’ve cast a slightly different eye towards certain types of gear. Picture the aftermath of a disaster, or any other emergency situation where you’ve got to get basic services up and running given no infrastructure. You might be sharing a tent with piles of hot-running radio equipment and computers, and short on generator power. Times like that, a battery-powered fan (with more power and runtime than the drugstore cheapies) would seriously come in handy. That dual-mode compressor/inflator is also new, and would look good next to my air matress for similar sorts of “live and work among the ruins” situations.

At this point, the only thing really disappointing about the OnePlus lineup is the vacuum cleaner. I’ve cursed the designers of every Dustbuster-alike I’ve ever used: The suction is anemic, the dust cups are puny and clog easily, and the nozzles are a worst-of-both-worlds compromise. DeWalt’s DC500 and DC515 look like they’d suck the doors off Ryobi’s offering. C’mon, guys! Make my decision easy!

4. Frank Hicinbothem says:

Has anyone actually seen one of these for sale yet? I’m still waiting for my local HD to get the fan that was mentioned on here a month or so ago.

5. Eli says:

Had a contractor use the Dewalt 515 in my bathroom. His work was slow and terrible, and I let him go. But he did let me try the vacuum, and I almost bought one, but went for a midsize Ridged corded instead. The 515 had good suction, just had to be emptied often for larger cleanups.

6. Rick says:

Ugh.. so hard to find good help these days.

I want to know where all the guys that write and are featured in magazines like This Old House and Fine Homebuilding are. Seems like none of them are around me.

7. MikeC says:

Is it just me or is Ryobi taking this whole one+ line a bit too far? First off, if you are using this at a job, that means you have a battery in this and at least one other in whatever tool you are using, probably a spare around also. How necissary is a cordless radio? If you are at a jobsite that doesn’t have electricity I would put good money that there is a generator, and if there isnt I’m sure you don’t want to waste power that you could need to run tools on a radio. Some of these accessores just seem like ways to sell more batteries, honestly.

8. Myself says:

MikeC, when Toolmonger covered the OnePlus fan, Frank Hicinbothem noted: “This sounds like a *great* use for those old half-dead One+ batteries I’m always complaining about!”

He’s definitely got a point there. You’ll always have a battery or two with a good bit of useful capacity, that just lack the new-battery “grunt” you’d want for your main tools. Peukert’s theorem says you’ll get plenty of useful power out of such an old battery, if you use it in a low-drain device. (Since the Peukert coefficient climbs with age.)

There’s one more good reason to have a jobsite radio, and I forgot to mention this earlier: It absolutely perplexes me why all these radios don’t include weater-band functionality! The music station might mumble about the weather once or twice an hour between songs, but only weatheradio provides a machine-recognizable tone in the event of severe weather, such that your receiver could enable itself, or “steal” the speaker away from the music, and alert you when storms are inbound. If you’ve got roofers, aka lightning rods, running around up top, a weatheradio (or a StrikeAlert) could be the most important tool on the jobsite.

I’m disappointed that nobody’s included weatheradio functionality in their jobsite radios. It’d really be a way to differentiate their product in the market!

9. Steve Thompson says:

I’m with MikeC. Looks like a ploy to sell more batteries.

10. Ivan says:

Too bad for the mono… otherwise I have been looking for this!
    I already own several Ryobii corded as well as ToolOne components, namely drill – hammer drill – circular saw – flash light – hammer drill – angled drill – reciprocating saw – orbital jigsaw and are pretty happy with them. Though I have to concur with a comment above about the vacuum, it sucks… well it really doesn’t and that’s the problem.
    I do have to admit that the tools are not the most powerfull, the price sure beats everything. So far I have been using them several times a week for more advanced projects around the house.
    In the two years I have not replaced any of my batteries. However, one of them I laid in the freezer for 24 hours prior charging to undo the battery memory. Works fine!
    I’ll be watching this one at my local HD!

11. Ruben says:

Radio sounds like a great gadget to have, especially with the input jack for mp3 players. I’ve had my 5-piece combo kit for just over 2 years and one of the batteries does not charge up any more. But compared to other manufacturers, the batteries for these tool are really inexpensive. I just wish they came out with inexpensive NiMh ones now that this technology has come of age. Or, LiIon would be excellent like their Ridgid line. Maybe Ryobi will have LiIon batteries soon, just like when they put out the laser guides on their Ridgid line of tools then the lower end Ryobi ones came out quickly after.

Power for portable tools has always been an issue with me. Because they use limited NiCad technology I was always hesitant to buy portable tools. I didn’t want to create more environmental hazzards by throwing away used NiCads, but had to buy them because I needed something portable to work with. LiIon technology is mature and they literally last a lifetime. Well worth the extra bucks, and they’re environmentally friendly (as well as being llighter and more powerful than the others). Right now, though, I have limited cash flow so I cannot affor Ridgid’s 24V LiIon tools. But if Ryobi came out with a low cost 18V NiMh battery set for their One Plus line I would definitely buy it.

The other thing I would love to see is a reconditioning battery charger for the One Plus line. I recently bought an intelligent charger for AA/AAA/C/D/9v batteries and was able to restore my 12 year-old NiCads to good condition. I’ve since changed all the batteries in my house to rechargeable NiMh ones with no-memory. I’m set for the next 10 years or so. If I could do the same for my power tools I would be an extremely happy and satisfied person! Simple things make me happy huh . . .

Sorry for the long post.

12. Wild Bill says:

Got the radio with a combo set at Christmas. Works well even in our rural area, 40 miles from “the big city” where my favorite stations are located. Have yet to try the wife’s MP3 player but no reason to think it won’t work just fine too.

13. o1d_dude says:

This is actually a pretty good radio for the money and convenience.

It comes with a media player jack AND extension cord so you can plug in your iPod, mp3 player, CD player, etc. Volume is acceptable, reception is as well. Fidelity? C’mon I’m operating power tools while this puppy is playing.

I also have the Milwaukee job site radio and still find myself throwing this little bugger into my tool bag more often than not. If it breaks or some low life steals it, I’ll buy another one.

14. Sherwood Botsford says:

Alas, it’s only FM. In Edmonton, Alberta the AM band is talk radio and country western, the FM is all the music. I prefer the talk radio when I’m working.

The specs also don’t say if it’s weatherproof. I do a lot of planting work when it’s either raining or thinkihg about it, and tend to leave my radio at the pot yard when I come in for coffee. It WILL get rained on.

15. Jg says:

I have used this radio EVERY work day for the last several years. The one battery I have just now started slowing down. I have never been careful with this radio either. It has dropped way to many times to count. I am pretty sure that it is bulletproof. I also own the Bosch cube radio and it is a POS. The Ryobi is simple, tough, and well made. If the cost of this radio was the same as the Dewalt, Bosch, etc.., I would still hands down buy the Ryobi.

16. fjf says:

I’m having a problem with the radio and am looking for other parties’ experiences. No AM is irksome, as like the fellow above, I prefer talk when I am working. I am on fog shrouded Vancouver Island and the radio does like this. When indoors it works OK but when exposed to humidity it does not receive upon being turned on. Switch it on and it just hisses static for 5 to 24 minutes and then the radio starts playing the stations. Anyone else have climate related difficulties?

17. fjf says:

Same story continued. The delay became longer and longer and then it just poured out warbling static. I took it back and they gave me a new one. It seems to work just fine.

18. Bruce says:

Just looking for reviews on ‘new’ Ryobi radios. Came across this one. It is old anyway for what is worth, this is the model I am looking to replace. It has given nearly ten years of great service but has finally succumbed to old age.

The R18R-0 looks a good replacement. I am in Australia where on AM we have 9 kHz separation not 10khz as in US. This is taken care of OK but disappointed it only goes 1620khz. There are many station in Au up to 1710khz

19. Mike Kerr says:

HAVE HAD OUR RYOBI FOR A WHILE NOW…THIS MORNING HOWEVER THE RADIO PART JUST DIED…IT CHARGING BUT RADIO WILL NOT WORK…ANY ONE ELSE HAVE THIS HAPPEN JUST WONDERING IF THERES A QUICK FIX