post-adjcrow.jpg

Believe us when we tell you that when you need a crowsfoot, you need a crowsfoot.  You’ve found yourself in some kind of nasty situation where you can’t reach the bolt no matter what.  In those kind of cases, tools like this — that seem boring and unnecessary when you’re sitting around in your easy chair looking at the catalog — all of a sudden become really interesting.

We’ve seen — and used — crowfoot wrenches before, but this is the first adjustable crowfoot we’ve come across.  Sounds like a great idea to us.

They feature metric and fractional scales — one on each side — and are designed for use with 3/8″ drive ratchets and extansions.  They also adjust via a knurled nut on the side rather than via a center scroll like most adjustable wrenches, which helps to keep them thinner and therefore easier to get into tight spaces.

Interestingly, Snap-on recommends a maximum torque of 2,849 in-lbs, which translates to about 237 ft-lbs — about the rating of the Black & Decker Autowrench.  We’d say the same concepts apply: You’re going to have a hard time putting even that much on them in the situations in whihc you’re likely to use them.

We’re not sure how much they’ll cost, but either you’re a pro (and you don’t need to ask), or these are going to be out of your range.

14 Responses to Finds: Snap-on’s Adjustable Crowfoot Wrench

1. Nick Carter says:

That is one sexy tool. I want one, even though I have no use for it.

2. Steve says:

I love it, but the question is: is it more expensive than a full set of crowfoot wrenches? You can get a set of standard (http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?cat=Hand+Tools%2C+General+Purpose&pid=00904362000&vertical=TOOL&subcat=Wrenches&BV_UseBVCookie=Yes) and metric (http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?cat=Hand+Tools%2C+General+Purpose&pid=00904363000&vertical=TOOL&subcat=Wrenches&BV_UseBVCookie=Yes) wrenches for under 80 bucks. Any idea how Snap-On will price this?

3. Rick says:

Likewise here..
    Although I guess if you can’t justify buying a full crowfoot set, considering how often you would use it, maybe having one of these on hand to satisfy the rare occasion you need one might be just the ticket.

That said, I could probably pick up a cheap Harbor Freight crowfoot Metric set and a SAE set for $18 – most definitely less than the cost of this Snap-on adjustable.

• Jerry says:

The largest crowfoot wrench in the Harbor Freight is 3/4 inch. Metric crowfoot set doesn’t have large enough wrench either.

4. Rick says:

Hah.. great minds think alike.. I guess any comments with links in them have to be moderated.. so I never saw Steve’s comments.

5. Travis says:

You have to admit, there’s something to be said about having a compact set of tools for the toolbox. I don’t know about you, but my toolbox tends to be a bit overflowing so having a “one-size fits most” tool is kind of appealing.

6. mstudley says:

The price from Snap-On is $40.25. Seems fair to me given the prices of fixed sets.

7. Dave says:

Although I’m only an amateur mechanic these days, I started buying Snap-On tools again after doing some work on the boat (where it’s a pain to go back and get tools you haven’t carried with you) and I broke/rounded the tips off two or three other brand screwdrivers in a minute (on the same fastener). That was a Sunday and on Monday I got on Snap-on’s web site and am completely happy with tool performance.

8. David Rubin says:

Snap On part number is ADCF8 at $45.95 each. I believe this is of limited utility as the 6 point crowsfoot wrenches may be less likely to damage the fitting on a brake line, etc. However, this thing costs a lot less than a set of Snap On wrenches, but more than a set from Harbor Freight!

9. Kenny says:

I need one of these because oh different sizes in hydraulic fitting some are standard some are metric and some are British. My problem is I can not find a part number for it from snap on

10. do these come in a bigger size for larger hydraulic fittings ??