post-guttertongs.jpg

Here you go: a pair of bent-over salad tongs with very long handles which you can (supposedly) use to remove leaf debris from your gutter.

I’d love to tell you that they work/don’t work but I can’t because I live in Texas and you’ve gotta be a millionaire to live in a relatively-new house with a tree near it large enough to deposit a leaf in the gutter.  I’m just a blogger, so no trees for me.  We do have tornadoes that help us regularly clean our gutters, though.

The photos on the site also show them using the tongs to hold a garden hose which they then use to spray out the gutter.  Truthfully, it looks like it might work.

The order form shows that these come from up in Washington state — home to many trees and probably a lot of people pissed about having to clean their gutters a lot.  Could any readers from the tree-laden North — or maybe Alabama or Mississippi — let us know what you think about these?

They cost $19.95 (plus $9 shipping), and replacement heads are available for $7.50 (plus $7.50 shipping).  The availability of replacement heads makes us wonder about their longevity.  They appear to be plastic.

The Complete Rain Gutter Maintenance Tool [Gutter Tongs]

8 Responses to Finds: Gutter Tongs

1. Steve Thompson says:

Looks too cheap to be good.

2. Steve Thompson says:

Oops, hit submit too fast…

Looks too cheap to be good, but for a guy like me – in a wheelchair – anything that extends my reach may have some value. If they really work it could save me some money hiring someone to do it for me.

3. Rick says:

Heeeyy… are you Steve Thompson from Autoweek?
    i.e. THE Steve Thompson?

In any csae, welcome if you are. Nice to see this blog getting seen out there.

4. Rick says:

Oh yeah, and relevant to the blog post.. I would think that being plastic, and more than likely stored in the garage, or in an outside toolshed or some such location could result in the plastic getting brittle and breaking after a few seasons. Hence the need for replacements. If they build too much flexibility into it, they may not be strong enough to pick up the stuff you want to pick out of the gutter..

Just a thought to play devil’s advocate.

5. jeff says:

It seems that the only way to tell if the gutters are clean is to get up near the room and peer into them or stick your hand up there and feel for yourself. The handles are probably too long on these things to get any good quality touch feedback returned about the cleanliness of the gutters.

6. TL says:

Where these would be really useful is when you notice those couple of weeds peeking their green leaves over the edge of the gutter. With no time to work up the courage for a real cleaning, something like this could keep the neighborhood association off your back until the next quarterly gutter cleaning.

I live in a 30 year old neighborhood in Western Washington. Any tree here under 30′ tall is considered small, so the gutters are never completely clean for more than a couple of days.

7. cheryl hurst says:

I am definitely interested in $a 19.95 gutter leaf removal for my gutters!
    I am sick of getting up on a ladder to do this every other day in the fall!
    (my kids are worried about that too).
    I saw just one other site so far that provides a product like this, and it was $50, but looked perhaps sturdier. hey, I think I will try the $19.95 one first. as I have been looking for something to do on the ground as I have a one story.
    ch

8. Jack says:

I purchased a pair of guttertongs and they work great! Wouldn’t recommend it for second story, but then the manufactures don’t either. It is quite strong (nylon and fiberglass). They might look fragile, but they will even rip out branches and frozen debris!