post-hitachiset.jpgWith more and more cool 1/4″ hex-drive (“quick change”) tools on the market, we’re finally starting to see some killer bit sets hitting shelves as well.  Pretty soon you’re gonna have to break down and pick one up.

Hitachi’s 40-piece set caught our eye on a recent trip to the local big-box for some project materials.  For $20 (or so), it’s a pretty thorough set.

Besides its quick-change magnetic bit holder — which lets you magnetize your current non-magnetic quick-change chuck or (bettery yet) use the remainder of the set in your standard-chuck big drill — it also includes:

• A compact screw guide
  • 18 assorted 1″ insert bits
  • 14 assorted 2″ power bits
  • 4 assorted 4-1/2″ power bits
  • and 3 magnetic nut setters.

These bits include slotted, Phillips, star, and square types as well as a couple of common socket sizes.

All in all, it’s a great way to fully realize the power of your 1/4″ quick change driver.

7 Responses to Finds: Hitachi’s 40-Piece 1/4″ Hex-Drive Bit Set

1. Jason says:

Overstock.com sometimes has a larger Grip brand set for sale for $20. It even includes security bits. The down side is that the case is terrible. It doesn’t sound like a big deal, but it’s really annoying to have all the bits fly around inside the case whenever it gets tossed around.

2. PeterP says:

I have the same problem with my Craftsman socket set. I don’t want to give up a drawer in the tool chest for one of their (stupidly expensive) plastic inserts, but its looking like the only way to keep them organized.

3. Steve says:

I have a Craftsman set that looks exactly like this one – only with red bit-holders. Problem is, whatever glue they use to stick the colored parts to the black case sucks and not only do the bits fly around – but the actual holders – part of the case – do too! Too bad, too, because I like to carry the case to the job site. Plus, whenever I close it up I have to do a tricky circus act to keep all the bits on their respective half of the case. Sort of a juggling act snapping the clamshell shut.

Oh, and those magnetic nut setters? Sorta makes me cringe – sounds like it might hurt.

4. Chuck Cage says:

Steve: Man, I have the same set — with the same problem. I got it for Christmas last year, and two of the bit holders have already popped out. The Craftsman includes drill bits and even wood bits, which is kinda nice, but in the end it’d be nice to have more pure driver bits if you just picked up, say, a PS20 or something.

When I figure out what glue works best on the Craftsman set, I’ll post it.

5. Jason says:

I ended up getting a storage case like this from the local Home Despot:

I have them all organized by phillips, flat, torx, freak bits, etc.

6. Jamey says:

I have the Hitachi QuickChage countersink kit that is packaged very similar to this one. It has a counter sink bit on one side that you can flip over to have a driver bit. Very quick and easy.

7. Myself says:

Get yourself a sheet of stiff flexible foam, half an inch thick or so. A set of leather punches will do the best job of making clear holes in the material, and you’ll want to experiment a bit to find the size that works best in your foam.

If you’re sneaky, you’ll chuck the punch into a drill press first, and slide the foam along a fence to make nice straight rows of holes. The press need not be turned on, it’s just for alignment. When you’re done, use spray-on adhesive to stick the punched foam onto a stiff backing, or directly into your toolbox.