logo-best-comments.jpgOur coverage of Weller’s new ColdHeat soldering iron drew the ire of more than one reader.  The consensus: ColdHeat irons are unreliable, can kill sensitive circuitry, make poor solder joints, and break easily.  What to do?

Reader Eli says, “…If portable heat is what you want, the Shack has a butane one that works pretty good.  The one I got looks like a big fat red pencil.  Works forever, refills easy.”

A couple of readers also pointed out that they see no need for fancy couture safety glasses in the shop — the standard big ones are fine.  (Follow the link to read the actual comments.  They make a good point!)

Numerous readers expressed their opinions about  Black & Decker’s AutoWrench — and our testing of it.  Opinion seemed split over whether it’s a time-saver or battery-waster.  Check it out.

We also got our first piece of chastisement, which made us proud:

Reader Rob said (regarding our AutoWrench test), “I really don’t understand why this post is longer than 5 paragraphs.  Did it work?  That’s all I want to know.  I don’t care what color shirt you wore that day.”

Yep.  We’ve arrived.

7 Responses to The Week’s Best Comments: ColdHeat Sux, Mr. Wizard’s Safety Glasses Rock

1. Jason says:

Regarding the shirt comment: somebody else made that comment. I merely quoted them and pointed out that some readers may, in fact, be interested to know what color shirts you were wearing.

2. Jason says:

Oh. Now I see that the comment has been attributed to the correct reader, which makes my comment about my comment not worthy of comment.

3. Chuck Cage says:

Yeah, you just *barely* beat me to it. My bad. Sorry ’bout that Jason!

And for the record, I was wearing a black shirt that day. I got it for free about 5 years ago when a band I played in opened for Seth James, who A) was a pretty ok guy, B) can play the guitar backwards and behind his head pretty well (even after six or eight drinks), and C) gave me a free T-shirt. Of those, I remember C the most.

Chuck

4. Sean O'Hara says:

Personally, I was sporting a blue T-shirt and jeans number from the “found it on top of the clean pile” collection. I hear blue is the hot color this year when breaking a wrench.

~ Sean

5. Chuck Cage says:

Blue’s the new black.

6. JP says:

Hell, who cares what you guys were wearing, I want to know what Britany was wearing when you guys did the test!