isocket.jpg

Kick-butt dust collection system: $750.  Wiring: $150.  Plumbing: $100.  Remembering to turn it on: Priceless.

You could always leave the vacuum running continually, which is highly annoying and would shorten the life of the vacuum motor.  Or, you could just give up and clean up manually.  Both options suck.  Literally.  The iSocket connects between your wall socket and power tool.  When it senses current flow to the tool outlet, it switches on the second outlet to automatically kick on your dust collection system.

After you power down the tool it keeps the system running for an additional 7–seconds to clean out the dust collector’s inlet pipe.

It works with any standard 15/20 Amp, 125 Volt outlet and can be used with any 125 Volt power tool, miter saw, sander, table saw, router — any tool that has a dust collection port.

Street Pricing starts at $29.99 on the DGC site.

i-Socket 110m [DGC Products]

8 Responses to Finds: i-Socket Vacuum Automator

1. joe brown says:

I don’t get what this thing does. Where does it attach, and what do you do with it?

2. Chuck Cage says:

Sorry ’bout that. Better?

3. modernman says:

Seems like you could use this for a lot of unintended uses. I’m not sure what yet .

4. Jim Steele says:

Does anyone make one of these you could put in the shop circuit box, so that several tools could trigger the vacuum system?

5. Roger Bulkley says:

You can easily power the dust collector using one box hooked up to several different tools by using a power strip. I have done this with a similar unit for over seven years and it works fine. Problem I have is figuring out how to fire up a 110V dust collector when I turn on my 220V saws. I could rewire my collector for 220V, but don’t know if there is a “smart box” available for 220V. ‘Sides, it the 220V collector couldn’t be fired if I used one of my 110V sanders, so I guess it still boils down to manual operation.

6. Jeremy says:

This item is mainly for in the workshop.
    you plug it in the standard wall outlet-plug your power tool in the top outlet of the I-Socket-plug the shop-vac in the bottom outlet of the I-Socket. Now, when you use your power tool, the shop-vac automatically turns on and vacuums the dust away. it also turns its self off when u turn the power tool off.

Very neat, very clever, and very useful for in the workshop.

7. Chris Steiner says:

Retired electrician
    I will install outlets across one wall fed from the unit for planer,Jointer,router table and all else I plan to use my big dust colector on. The Automator will control a motor contactor which feeds dust colector on different circuit.
    It will allow for switching any size, any voltage dust colector with very minimal load on vac outlet.