post-newskil.jpgLast week we wrote about our high expectations regarding Skil’s upcoming 10.8V line — and how we suspect that a Bosch PS20-class tool with some cost-cutting changes to bring it to the masses would be an superb idea.  Well, we received the press release today with a bit more information.

Of course, the big question is, “How much torque will it make?”  And sadly, that question remains unanswered.   Skil says test tools are still a couple weeks away, but look below the jump for some pics and specs.

Here’s what we know so far:

• It’ll definitely have a built-in battery to reduce cost.
  • That cost’ll be $80 (MSRP).
  • It’s going to feature a 1/4″ quick-change chuck.
  • It’ll come with a charging cradle with built-in holders for the bit set that comes with it.
  • It’s going to have an electronic clutch with 10 settings — much like the one on the Bosch I-Driver, we suspect, though with a different user interface.
  • It’s going to have a three-level charge indicator light.
  • It’ll have forward and reverse indicator lights (like the iXO).

Pics, as promised:

post-ns2.jpg  post-ns3.jpg

post-ns4.jpg

As you can imagine, we can’t wait to see the real deal.  We’ll let you know when we know more.

6 Responses to Preview: Skil’s 10.8V Li-Ion Drill

1. Jason says:

Looks good, except for the chuck. 1/4″, huh? And will you be able to use it with non-hex bits?

2. Chuck Cage says:

Jason: I had the same thought when I first saw Bosch’s PS20, but I have to admit that I haven’t really missed the full chuck on it. Then again, I have a drill with a full chuck in the drawer next to it, so maybe that’s why.

I also have a pretty slick kit from Craftsman — I got it for Christmas last year — that has a ton of 1/4″ quick-change bits of all kinds, including most common household drill bits, drivers, etc. It’s seen more use since I picked up a PS20.

3. Jason says:

I think I’d still prefer a jacobs chuck, since all my existing bits are “slow change”.

Also, I would appreciate the ability to jam a 3/8″ bit in there. I know I probably couldn’t use it on wood, but it would come in handy to drill holes for toggle bolts in drywall.

4. Danny says:

Just picked this one up. The specs are very similar to Bosch. 1 lb, 13 oz. 0-400 rpm. 90 in lb torque. 1.1 AmpHr battery. 10 stage electronic clutch.

Tried it tonight to remove and install door hinges. Plenty of torque…but the electronic clutch doesn’t work well. At anything but the lightest setting it would overtorque. Even the lightest setting wasn’t incredibly reliable. The light is nice but isn’t aimed exactly right…but close enough to throw a little illumination.

5. Jim R says:

Just bought Skil 10.8. Suspected it was the Bosch PS20 with I-driver’s Electronic chuck and bilt-in battery. I havn’t used it too much yet, but I really like the direction, fuel level, and work lights. Nice. I comes in a canvas case similar to the PS20.

I bought it on sale at Home Depot for 39.95. For the price I got it as a light weight small job substitute for my heavy 18V. Looking forward to see how much power it’s got, how useful the electronic clutch is, and how long the battery lasts. I the mean time, I am assuming it will rival the reviews on the PS20 and PS10.

6. Kim G says:

Bought @ Costco to replace a Twist drill that is a throw away after 1 year. Tested it at a deck building party. It kept up with the Makita & DeWalt 18v for power & life but too small to add man force for serious driving. Tested again at a fence party and everyone wanted it over the larger/heavier 18v drivers. Works much better than I expected. The chuck is smaller and gets into the corners better than the big boys. Cost less than one of the 18v batterys I just bought for my Makita. Won’t replace the larger driver but a great addition for a reasonable price.