post-welleriron.jpg

The ColdHeat concept is great: it heats up and cools down instantly so a) you don’t burn yourself or the things around you, and b) it can run on batteries for quite a while.  We have one, but we’ve always been a little bit wary of the tool’s quality as the only place you could find them was at Harbor Freight and on late-night infomercials.

Now it appears that Weller’s decided to take the technology pro.

Weller’s certainly a respected name in soldering irons, so we’re pretty happy to see them embrace the ColdHeat concept.  Their version features a polycarbonate body with tip cover, a high/low/off power switch, a white LED “work light,” a red “in use” indicator, and an included storage case.

The standard kit (cat. # CHT100) streets for around $45 and includes the chisel tip, but conical and bevel tips are also available for about $9 each.

Weller’s ColdHeat Pro Cordless Soldering Irons [Weller/PDF]
Street Pricing [Froogle]

8 Responses to Finds: A Pro-Quality ColdHeat Soldering Tool

1. Rick says:

It looks like the only difference is construction materials maybe, and the multi-power switch. I don’t know if that’s worth the premium to get the Weller name on the side. I’ve got the original that I paid $17 + tax on at Walgreens.. If it included different $9 points I could see maybe justitfying the price.. but if you still have to pay $9 a pop for those..
    well.. meh..

2. Rick says:

ok.. I hadn’t realized that ColdHeat themselves made a “Pro” model with the higher power settings, etc. It looks identical to this Weller model.. and that retails for $30.. so again I ask.. what are you paying $15 extra for?

3. Andy says:

I do *alot* of soldering, from surface mount on 10+ layer boards to security contacts in homes, and the very principle the cold heat system works on gives me the shivers. It _shorts_ the solder between two electrodes. Almost a definate killer of sensitive circuitry. And, to add insult to injury, it doesn’t work very well.

For portable use, stick to weller’s butane line, and for benchtop work get a WTPCT (through hole) and get a hot air system, a toster oven or an electric griddle for surface mount parts….

4. Derek Hunt says:

If the technology was even remotely reliable, and didn’t require praying with ever solder job, I would pay the extra 15 bucks no problem.

My cold heat works like crap, and the tips end up becoming brittle and falling apart while working with any moderate sized joint. I always fall back to my old school weller (12+ years old and still going strong).

5. Rob says:

I bought a Cold Heat soldering iron based on some positive reviews I had read and all I can say is, “what were they thinking?” I might just not have the hang of it but I can’t get a decent solder joint out of the thing. Until I break down and get a decent soldering station, I’m just going to stick with my Weller pencil iron.

6. TL says:

I was rather unimpressed with my Cold Heat iron. From the easily chipped tip to the very picky hand positioning required to get it to work, I was disappointed from day one. On day two I was back to using my $12 plug in the wall model from Radio Shack.

7. Eli says:

Yeah, I agree. Don’t like the technology. Maybe it’s okay for putting speaker wires together or something. If portable is what you want, the Shack has a butane one that works pretty good. The one I got looks like a big fat red pencil. Works forever, refills easy. When I smoked it was great because you could light a cigarette off it when you couldn’t find a lighter. My other is the aforementioned cheapo plug in model.

8. Bill says:

I got one of the cold heat soldering irons from a big box store. I was lucky enough to be able to use a gift card but I believe that was even a waist of time and money. I don’t do much soldering so I thought that this would be a good thing to have in order to meet my needs. I had a few projects lining up that required the use of a soldering tool. I decided to read the instructions, which is not something that I typically do but this was new technology (at least to me) so I figured that I needed to find out what I need to do. I was extremely disappointed in the performance of how it worked and out of the 8 times that I tried to use the iron I was only able to tin two pieces of wire and not all of it just about ¼ “ of the wire and a 1/4 “ from the end where I needed it. The other six attempts I was not able to even do that. I also tried to solder the two wires together that I was able to tin. I was unsexes full with even doing that. The last attempt that I had with using the iron the tip broke into tinny pieces and I was unable to replace the tip that I could see and try. Overall I am very unhappy with this cold heat iron. I still do believe that it is a good idea that it probably has a good place to be used but even if they improved it I would be very hesitant to get the newer version.