You’ll want to start by removing and discarding all the junk parts of the chair. Ours came off pretty easily with just four bolts. Next, we measured and cut our two pieces of 1″ square tube.
Specifically, we cut them to 11″ so we could close up the ends using the tabbing technique we described in “tricks of the trade” on page 2 of the game chair post.
Once we had the ends closed up, we laid them on the chair mount and measured the cross distance, which came out to exactly 7-1/2″. We then measured and cut the bar stock to make the crossmember on which the seat would mount.
We laid the crossmember on top of the 1″ tubes on the seat and tacked it into place, assuring that there would be room to drill a hole for the seat mount bolt in a place where the bolt wouldn’t contact the button/lever assembly.
We then measured and marked the spot where we wanted the seat bolt to mount, center punched the spot to make sure the drill didn’t wander, and drilled the 1/2″ hole.
After a quick test fit of everything, we finish-welded the outside and inside of the plate/tubing seam. Then we turned the whole assembly upside down on the bench and plug-welded our mount to the chair.
Since some of the mount would be visible after the seat was mounted, we took a few minutes to mask off the chair with some newspaper, and we primed and painted the mount assembly black to match the seat we found.
All that’s left is to let it dry and bolt the seat on. Read on to page 3 to see our finished chair.