German tool company Fein offers this unusual tool which they claim can cut, grind, raso, sand, plunge, and scrape.
Our first thought was that this looks very much like any other detail sander notwithstanding the addition of some pretty creative attachments. Indeed, in the Fein website’s FAQ they admit that the MultiMaster evolved from their detail sander and that the new attachments will retrofit to the older sander.
As skeptical as we are, we were surprised to find a number of positive reviews PDFed up for download at the Fein site. A number of reputable publications have found applications for the tool, and spoke well of it.
The MultiMaster comes in five variations:
- the MultiMaster XL — the largest kit with “most popular accessories,” including a carbide rasp, polishing pad, profile sanding kit, grout blade, segment saw blade, universal E-cut blade, scraper blade, hook & loop sanding pad, metal carrying case, and screw set, which lists for $436
- the MultiMaster RS — a smaller set which deletes the polishing pad and profile sanding kit and lists for $326
- the MultiMaster Start – a smaller set yet which further deletes the carbide rasp, grout blade, and segment saw, listing for $227
- the Cordless MultiMaster — a cordless version of the “Start” kit powered by a 9.6v NiCd battery and listing for $499
- and the Pneumatic MultiMaster — an air-powered version including the hook & loop sanding pad, segment saw blade, and scraper blade, listing for $291
(A detailed product comparison is available here.)
A quick jaunt over to Froogle showed that street pricing for the MultiMaster is a bit lower than list with the Start kit leading off around $165, yet this still seems awfully expensive for what it is.
The MultiMaster [Fein]