We receive at least 20 emails a week from folks asking us where they can find replacement parts for a tool. So we thought it might be worth a post to explain how we go about finding this information for our own personal needs. This might seem a bit simple to some of you, but the volume of mail we receive indicates that it’s a topic we should address. If you’re already very comfortable finding this information yourself, we’d love it if you’d add your own recommendations in comments for future readers who find the post and can benefit from your experience.

Generally we’ll start with a Google search, something along the lines of ‘[insert manufacturer here] parts and service.” This usually at least gets us in the door in terms of finding where to look next. For example, Googling “DeWalt parts and service” returns the following:

First, it’s important to note that Google will always return advertisements (i.e. links someone paid them to return) at the top of your search results. These are identified as “Ads related to [insert your search terms here],” and are enclosed in a slightly yellowish box, which I’ve labeled #1 above. Despite popular opinion, ads aren’t always necessarily bad, nor are the links you’ll find in Google’s yellow ad box necessarily dangerous to click on. Sometimes (gasp!) companies who spend money on advertising can actually help you. Still, it’s important to factor the reason Google returned the link into your decision-making process.

In this case, Google has returned a top (paid) link to eReplacementParts.com, which does in fact sell DeWalt replacement parts. Though we’ve never used them personally, they look like they might be able to help you if you’re out of warranty and need to buy parts from a third party.

Second, you’ll always find more ads down the right side of your search results. I’ve labeled them #2. These “side” ads are less expensive to buy, so you’ll often find some shady stuff over there. They’re not necessarily shady, but I’d be significantly less likely to head to one of them than I would one of the top ads or (more importantly) the actual search results.

Starting below the yellow box ads, you’ll find Google’s actual search results for the terms you provided. I’ve labeled the start of actual search results #3. If you want to start by talking to (or at least researching) the manufacturer itself, you’ll want to look in these search results for links on the manufacturer’s site, which you can identify by the URL. Just under the #3 arrow, you’ll see that the first link is from the “dewalt.com” domain, which is, in fact, DeWalt’s corporate website. This looks like a great place to start. Clicking this link takes us here:

While the specific sites for each manufacturer will vary, you can see that DeWalt in particular makes finding this information relatively easy. The red arrow I added points to a FAQ including how to find repair centers and other common questions. I won’t walk you through each additional step as they’ll be a little different for each search, but you should be able to take the ball and run with it from here.

About Warranty Information

The subject of warranties is way too large for this post, but a couple of quick thoughts: warranties vary significantly across the industry in terms of what is covered under the warranty, how long the warranty lasts, and especially how you go about obtaining warranty service. You can often find this information on the corporate website as well, but you may have to dig a bit, and you may also have to call the manufacturer’s toll-free number to ask for some help. If you purchased your tool very recently (as in less than a month ago), it might be worth a trip to the store where you bought it, as in almost all cases stores will help you with “defective” products. However, if the tool is more than a month or so old — or obviously heavily used and/or abused — you’ll want to do some research before trucking it back to the store. In general, you may be asked to return the item to the store, return or mail it to an authorized service center, or return/mail it directly to the manufacturer. The manufacturer may or may not cross-ship a replacement or replacement parts. Your mileage will definitely vary.

We hope this helps. Just remember most of all that doing a little research before you start contacting anyone and everyone related with tools will save you a lot of wasted time and effort in the process of getting your damaged/worn tools up and running again — which means less time dicking around with repair and more time in the shop doing something awesome.

15 Responses to How to Find Tool Replacement Parts and Service

1. mike says:

I find ebay to be a good source of replacement parts.

2. fred says:

I’ve used both ereplacementparts.com and ToolPartsDirect (associated with Tool Barn) for some oddball tool parts – but generally we buy most of our tools from an industrial dirtibutor in NJ who sells at a fair price and services what they sell.

3. noah says:

i’ve used ereplacementparts.com to replace parts on makita tools in the past. shipping usually exceeds the cost of the part, but it’s still cheaper than a new tool.

4. Chris says:

Thanks for reminding me that I needed to block those ads from Google search results. :)

cl

5. craig says:

if you have commercial/contractor distributors near you it is almost always worth the fuel to drive to their door. these operations often have stuff on their shelves that never will make a web appearance.

a little humility on your part and you may well be surprised at the results.

regarding warranties…a face-to-face gets a much more flexible response for a lot of issues.

6. DoItRite says:

Every now and then I run across a tool that I need at Costco. Maybe not the exact brand or model I was looking for, but the price is almost always so much lower that I can’t refuse.
    Costco’s return-to-the-store policy is so good that it is often reason enough to purchase from them. No receipts needed (they have that info on file), and no questions asked.
    I once had a recall on a tool and received a letter from Costco informing me. Nice, since I rarely register the warranty. (Just why do they need all of that information anyway?)

7. Chris says:

Best way I’ve found is to locate an exploded diagram with part numbers, most often on the manufacturers website. Then, google the part number required to find the best deal. Usually, eBay or Amazon is a good source.

8. gary z says:

We get a lot of calls each week asking about toll repair. The first place to start is the owners manual. Figure out what part number you need, and call the service line that is listed for your area. If that is not possible call the retailer where you bought it and ask if they know where to get parts locally. I always suggest these first as having a local source will usually help avoid further downtime, buying parts you may not need, and give you shortcuts making the repair.

9. Chuck Cage says:

Everyone: Thanks as always for the contributions to the general knowledge fund. FWIW, I gave eReplacementParts.com a shot today as I needed some small parts for an espresso machine. The manufacturer offered them, but to get them I’d have to slog through a 1-800 number and then wait for slow shipping. I tried the online aftermarket service instead because they would ship quickly. (Hey, coffee makes TM go.) I’ll let you know how it goes.

10. El Jefe says:

Sip on one of those cups of coffee while you give eBay a whirl. Sometimes the search is a bit more difficult but I’ve found that many of the sellers are quite knowledgeable on their specific tool parts and often beat the big bin tool chop shops by quite a bit.

11. browndog77 says:

This website http://www.managemylife.com/ is pretty helpful if you have the item but no manual. You can find manuals for almost any tool or piece of power equipment with the model#. The site is admin by Sears, so there are a lot of Kmore & Cman references, but it is easy to use and has links to lots of help forums. One of the VERY few things Sears does for free these days!

12. brew says:

typically my process is,

1. type (for example) “Dewalt DW744 parts” in to Google
    2. go through a couple of the results and find a descent schematic.
    3. Find the part I need on the schematic and find the part number
    4. do another Google search for “dewalt 123xyz”
    5. go through some of the results for best prices and cheapest shipping.

Usually ebay comes up in the first few results, but if not i will type the part number in to ebay to see what they have. Same with amazon.

13. Steve says:

I’ve had luck with buying a bare tool and using used parts. I bought a nice used dewalt cordless drill set that was pretty much new (DC983). However, the trigger on the drill was defective. The trigger on ereplacementparts was prohibitively expensive (Switch, V.S.R. Part Number: 152274-19SV $63 + shipping), but the same trigger was in a very cheap, lower voltage drill (DW952). Since the Battery Pack is the usual point of failure, people sell the tool for under the value of the parts. Bought one for 20 including shipping and fixed my trigger. Total investment was around $40 and I have a 14.4v DC983 with two battery packs, charger, and case. And husk of a 9.6v drill with various spare parts in it. If you need a part, be sure to notice the comparability. If the problem is not the battery, chances are you can fix it cheaply.

14. Ki says:

I’ve used one or two online parts distrubutors, but i really like toolsandmachinery.com. They have diagrams there and they offer first-class shipping so you don’t get dinged so heavily on freight.