For the past few years, Milwaukee has maintained extreme focus on tradesman-type applications. The end result for the consumer tends to some pretty wicked task-specific products that everyone can use, but might not have the need for. The ductwork and drywall Sawzall blades follow suit with this trend.

The ductwork Sawzall blade features a “pierce point tip” designed to plunge into sheet metal with a tapered shape, allowing the blade to make both radius and square cuts for any kind of pro- or homeowner installation. Tiny teeth are designed to cut clean without hanging on duct material or bending the metal, which also makes for a less accurate fit.

The drywall blade is the one that caught our attention. Milwaukee’s Dan Wolfgram explains why this blade looks the way it does and why it’s short:

“When plumbers try to access a leak or Electricians are looking for a faulty wire, there is a substantial possibility that they will puncture an existing pipe or wire when using the standard blade lengths available today…” “The new Drywall Access blade is only 2-1/2” long, optimized to cleanly cut through up to 5/8” drywall but avoid this type of damage.”

So the drywall blade can run up, down, or across, and still move at full speed without worrying about electrical, pipes, or ducts behind the wall.

Both blades look great for the professional who needs this type of specialty function on a daily basis. And while I might not have a giant need for either, they look like they’d do a fine job of not mangling materials or severing your electrical.

Ductwork and Drywall Blade Press Release [Milwaukee]

11 Responses to Preview: Milwaukee Blades Target Frustration

1. gary z says:

Since most emergencies happen when the tool and lumber stores are closed, keeping a couple of these blades in the tool box could be a big help.

2. TominDC says:

This new drywall blade is definitely cool. However, Milwaukee invented it 25+ years too late. Since the mid 1980′s the Fien Multimaster has enabled plunge cutting drywall with great precision and zero chance of damaging stuff inside the wall. The past several years has seen an explosion of cheaper imitations (like Milwaukee’s M12?). There are still lots of uses for recip saws, but drywall surgery ain’t one of ‘em.

• Blair says:

For larger areas,(think window cutouts, etc.), the reciprocating saw is a superior tool, much quicker.

• gary z says:

I keep lusting after the Fein, but at 3 or 4 hundred bucks it’s hard to justify. I’ve used the one at the store a couple of times, and you are right, the Fein would be a better choice on drywall.

3. Eric R says:

A couple of those blades in the saw case are handy as a “just in case” for the home repairman.
    I don’t use my recip saw that much, but when you need it, nothing else will do the job as effectively.
    Thanks Sean.

4. Fong says:

Interesting. Is using a recip saw common for plumbers and electricians? The only ones I’ve ever seen do work for me has used hand saws. Granted, they were small jobs but as many have mentioned:

1. I’d think a large recip saw would only be useful for large jobs that don’t require as much precision (like a window cutout) in which case you’re not worried about plumbing or wires.
    2. The blade still looks long enough to cut through part of the framing and I’d hate to think plumbers and electricians are just slicing through framing looking for a fault of leak.
    3. With smaller, lighter, more precise tools on the market like the Fein, why would a plumber or electrican carry around a big recip saw? I’m sincerely asking.

I’ve only used a recip saw for demolition and rough cutting.

F-

5. davesander says:

I like the drywall blade, but I just make my own by cutting and filing bent recip blades to the right length so I only cut the drywall and no further.
    Dave

6. gary z says:

Merry Christmas Toolmongers! May your holiday be filled with hope, happiness, and tools that dreams are made of.

7. fred says:

BTW part numbers are:

MILWAUKEE 48-00-1630
    and
    MILWAUKEE 48-00-1640

Neither seem to be available yet

8. Jose says:

Nothing beats the drywall/plaster blade by Saf-T-Kut…Minimal Dust and NO WORRY. Milwaukees blade still goes through the other side, an FEIN…tooo much dust!…
    but not the Saf-T-Kut blade…HANDS DOWN!!!!…All my friends in different trades use the Saf-T-Kut blade.

Check them out…www.saf-t-kut.com