When this video starts off, you think, “Wow, look at all those great tools.” By the time it’s done, everyone I’ve shown it to is quietly thinking about the importance of this one idea and this way of thinking about the tools and who uses them. And it begins to dawn on you that Skip here is a genius and a treasure.

It’s amazing to me that places like Liberty Tool exist at all. It would be easy to be cynical and say he’s just selling tools, but I don’t believe that’s all he’s doing. Whether they mean to or not, Liberty Tool is preserving a history, promoting a level craftsmanship, and giving artists and workers a focal point to leverage their skill upon — both now and in the future. It’s a simple but powerful concept we don’t see much of today, and for that our hat is off to you, sir.

There’s No Place Like Here: Liberty Tool [Vimeo]

7 Responses to Video Friday: Recycling Tools

1. Shalin says:

Wow…
    This seems like a compliment to “ReStore” where used hardware (doors, windows, etc.) are sold by Habitat for Humanity. And it reminds me of some of the communities like artist co-ops and hackerspaces…

A genius and a treasure indeed.

2. Noah says:

Road trip!

3. gary z says:

There is a message here too that the tools they are selling are generally better than what you can buy new today. Working at a tool store there are times I encourage my customers to look at Craigslist or e-bay for hand tools. The old Stanley , Millers Falls, and Bailey planes are far superior to what is being sold today and many times at a much lower cost.

4. Eric R says:

I’m glad I don’t live next door to that place.
    I’d be over there every day !
    (cool video pick Sean.)

5. PeteWW says:

I could do without all that blather about “sustainable economy.”

6. Toolfreak says:

Probably the future of the tool biz if US manufacturing doesn’t come back.

All the new stuff will be made in China for the clueless masses, and the people who want the original high-quality tools will go to places like this.