A year and a half ago, I returned to college to finish my bachelor’s degree (inspired largely by the reader response to this site, by the way, and a desire to better understand how to do what I do here), so as much as I wish that I could spend the majority of my time in the shop, I spend more time these days in front of a computer than in front of the workbench. Sean gets more shop time than I do these days, but as a (relatively) new dad and creative worker even he puts in more than a fair share of time in the desk prison. Maybe that’s why this stupid flash drive ended up on both our WANT lists.

Seriously, it’s a flash drive. In a Victorinox (read: “Swiss Army” to everyone but trademark lawyers) knife case. That’s all. Yet it’s indescribably cool. It feels Toolmongerish, and it’s not junk in terms of tech either. Hell, it meets all our non-tool gift criteria: it’s well-made, it’s functional, it’s useful, and it’s fun. Also, it’s not stupidly priced, either, running from around $15 (4G) to around $105 (64G), with most reasonably-common models (8-16G) falling in the $20-$35 range. So essentially you’re paying about $5-10 surplus over your standard butt-ugly USB drive to have it encased in a Swiss Army knife casing.

Worth it.

Specs: it’s 2-1/4 inches long by 5/8 inches wide by 1/4 inches high and is available in 4, 8, 16, 32, and 64 Gb capacities. Also, unlike your real Swiss Army knife, you can carry it through the airport.

Slim 2.0 Flash [Victorinox]
Street Pricing [Google Shopping]
Via Amazon [What’s This?]

8 Responses to Giftmonger: The Victorinox Slim 2.0 Flash Drive

1. aaron says:

this IS cool. it would be cooler if it instead was a case to hold a micro-SD card, which would allow it to go obsolete at a slower rate.

• Chris says:

Somehow I suspect the USB port will be with us much longer than the microSD card. C.f. every other solid-state removable storage standard ever. Have any of them lasted more than five or six years? USB’s already almost 15.

cl

• John says:

I think he was referring to the amount of storage space. A few gigs today will be considered tiny in several years. A microsd slot would allow you to expand the storage,

2. Will says:

I don’t know how non-butt ugly it is… The Kingston DataTraveler SE9 is 1/3 the cost, no moving parts to break and takes up much less space on a key chain.

3. Dave A. says:

I’m a huge Victorinox/ Swiss army fan….
    BUT,the drive to get is this little guy.
    As small as you can get for a keychain, rugged, and cheap.

4. flowerofhighrank says:

Having lost two folding drives, I went with a drive shaped like a key (LaCie? I think) and it’s holding up pretty well.

5. Chad says:

these are awesome — i have had one now for a few months — no issues i have the orange one in 16 gig and always have it filled with files from work photos a few movies and audio — i have one of the older knife with thumb drive from sak and its cool too but thicker i think it is a 4 gig will have it in my bag within arms reach — lacie imakey and itsakey are great also pretty rugged until you kid trys to use it as a screwdriver or prybar !!