We came across this interesting project posted over on Instructables by user Vitizop. It’s a cool idea: take a key that you need to carry anyway, and shape it a bit to make it more useful — in this case, a lot more useful. As you can see above, this key can do quite a bit, even if you discount a few of the more far-fetched applications, like #7. Hell, #3 alone would be worth taking your housekey into the shop.

If you follow through some of the additional frames, Vitizop continued the creative streak past 10 uses, adding in a 2.5 cm ruler and even a freakin’ light from a Lego toy.

One concern, though: This is posted on Instructables, which is a site all about sharing how-tos, not product ideas, and I can’t really find any actual how-to in the post. All the pictures are of the tool actually in use.

Still, I love the idea, and I can pretty much figure out how to execute it on my own. The bottle opener and can opener — the most fun of the uses, I think, as well as a variety of screwdrivers should be easy to shape with a drill and file and a little time. Filing project of this type feel kinda like whittling to me — a fun thing to do when you’re sitting around watching TV or shooting the crap in the shop.

What do you think? Any better ideas for key mods? Ideas on how to accomplish these easily?

Multi-Key Utility-Key 10-in-1 Tool [Instructables]

6 Responses to Project: Housekey Becomes Churchkey

1. Mark says:

What Can Opener?

2. G says:

Hmm, FWIW, there’s three kinds of instructables: 1) the step-by-step howto, 2) the “detailed pictures and/or diagrams of this nifty thingee I made but forgot to document the making of, and 3) video tutorials. So it looks like this one’s a 2, then.

Clever idea. I might try some of this with one of my spare housekeys and see if I can reduce the number of jangly things I’m carrying around on my keychain.

3. Brian says:

The only problem with this is the brass is too soft. I have been incorporating the same useful little tools into a chunk of old sawzall blades for awhile and the resulting tool is very durable. The nail file / saw in already built in. The hole for the key ring is already cut too. It is much thinner too. I started working on this when I bought a gerber shard and it was useless.

4. rg says:

Given that keys are generally made from brass — how well do you think this will perform any of its alleged functions?

5. matt says:

Cool Idea, and I give the guy credit for giving it a go.
    If you went whole hog and machined this out of knife grade stainless steel, keeping the key’s usability as a key and adding extra features, then that would be a real bonus. That knife sharpener isn’t going to sharpen anything, except maybe cheese. There is a reason that style of “sharpener” is usually made of tungsten carbide.

Swiss+tech utilikey is a pretty good commercial version of this style tool. it looks like a key, but doesn’t work as a key obviously.

6. dave says:

I like seeing examples of ingenuity but this is going to be so piss-poor at any of the things it does, even the first time before it gets dull or bends apart, that you have to carry along the other tool(s) anyway, making it a waste of time.

Still the idea has merit, perhaps if it were precision laser cut into knife grade steel instead, THEN hand sharpened.