It’s probably because of our recent short leave of absence, but we haven’t seen as many new posts to the Toolmonger Flickr pool lately, and it’s getting me and Sean down. We’re inspired by your projects, and we also like to feature them here from time to time. If you get a chance, we’d love to hear about what you’re currently working on, whether it’s building something new and awesome or just fixing some crap around the house. Plus, you never know what great tips you might get from other Toolmongers. I speak from experience when I say that Toolmongers know more about project work than anyone in the world.

24 Responses to What Are You Working On Today?

1. FredB says:

I’ll be making tomato baskets today. I have a roll of rabbit fencing that I will cut and form into cylinders. I have a bunch already but, I got a little ambitious with my planting this year and I could use a few more.

I am making these slightly larger diameter than the eleven I have so they will fit over them and reduce storage requirements after the growing season. After all these years, still thinking like an engineer.

2. Jason Peacock says:

I’m assembling my kitchen, but usually only upload pics at the end of the project. I guess I can do a half-way progress upload :)

3. Brian says:

I’m making laminar water jets for a fish pond. Pretty slick.

What have you guys been up to? There was a bit of a gap where I wasn’t sure if you’d be back….. I kept checking the site, but there’s no forum or anything to ask.

4. TMIB_SEATTLE says:

Been getting the new smithy setup for scout camp for the summer. Expect lots of pics of the new blacksmithing setup in a few weeks. :)

5. PutnamEco says:

Work has been real slow, I have been gearing up for one of the yearly volunteer projects I take on, a craft project for a summer day camp at a local state park. This year we’ll be building bird feeders, building 35 kits this year.

6. Flabby Boohoo says:

Hey, I put a bunch there just yesterday!

7. Flabby Boohoo says:

One more thing… the flickr pool is inundated with pictures of planes, by the dozens. There are just not a lot of pics of things being done. Now, I realize that the size is toolmonger, but that’s essentially spam.

Personally, I’ve put up a lot pics of projects as well as some tool shots. Which is the way it used to be.

• Chuck Cage says:

FB: I checked into this, as I definitely would want to rid the group of any spam. But I’m not so sure this is spam. It looks to me as though Snapshot (an actual person, it seems) is actively collecting and curating pictures of tools — most specifically planes. While I’m probably less interested in this than he (or she) is, I don’t really mind it.

Hell, I think it’s kinda cool that someone would be so into planes that they’d seek out pictures of ‘em and create their own montages. :)

• PutnamEco says:

I enjoy the planes as well, especially the interesting comments about the manufacturers or the tools history. I never new about the orange frogs. Info like that could make my day at the right flea market or garage sale.

• Flabby Boohoo says:

Hi Chuck,

I didn’t mean to imply that it was *actual* spam, just that there is so many pics it pushed out the other images.

Just an observation.

• Chuck Cage says:

No problem — didn’t take it as ugly or anything. In fact, I had to think about it a bit to decide where I stood. Have a good weekend, and I’m definitely gonna pull one of your project photos for next week’s articles.

8. Dave D says:

I’m almost midway through a kitchen renovation. Activities for this week are drywall, hardwood floor installation, and a primer coat of paint on the ceiling and walls.

I’m glad to see new posts appearing here. Thanks for all the hard work, guys.

• Chuck Cage says:

Thanks for the kind words, Dave. We get a lot of pretty ugly mail here, so it’s nice to hear something positive from time to time. Hope that floor installation goes well, and I don’t evny the drywall cleanup. :)

9. DrunkenMessiah says:

I’ve been helping my little sister build a slick new Hi-Fi system. Her boyfriend has turned her into quite the audiophile and she wanted a sweet bookshelf stereo for her high-school graduation present that she could take to college with her. Being me, I couldn’t just let her get some off-the-shelf rubbish. Oh no. Nothing but the finest custom-fabricated gear for my little sis.

We’re building the boxes from 100% hardwood Ash that we milled from a log ourselves with an Alaskan-style, chainsaw-based portable saw-mill. It is stunningly gorgeous wood, the tree took up impurities as it grew and the lightly-colored ash is shot through with amazing purple streaks. We’ve planed the planks down to 3/4″, run them through the jointer, ripped them to width, sectioned them to their final lengths and then put nice datos on them so they fit together beautifully. Soon we will cut holes, glue the pieces into boxes and install the fancy-pants speakers and electronics. We’ve been documenting the process with lots of photos and I’ll be sure to get some of the good ones up on the Flikr pool!

Speaking of which, you guys should maybe do some spring cleaning of the Flikr pool. There seems to be quite a bit of spam with recent offenses coming from users “FEEL TOOL GOOD” and “-Snapshot-”. Their pics are of tools, sure, but they are obviously not THEIR tools. They are just grabbing random pics of tools off the ‘net and re-posting them into the pool. It is really cluttering up the place and adding a ton of un-needed filler between the much-more-awesome user-owned tools and projects. I think you could use stricter stipulations on what can be posted, with more emphasis on USER-OWNED tools, projects, jobs and the like.

10. Bill Freeman says:

Flickr pool??? First that I have heard of that site. You might want to add it to your “About” link. It’s good to take a vacation but the way you did it was the pits. It ain’t no fun checking back every day to see if you’re still alive and wondering if this is now a dead abandoned site. Next time, please put a blurb/schedule so your readers don’t waste their time going back repeatedly to the last article.

• Chuck Cage says:

Bill: Glad you enjoy the site. Back when we started Toolmonger, we made a couple of promises to ourselves. First, we’d never blog about not blogging. (I hate that; it’s a personal pet peeve.) And I’d totally post if we knew we were taking a scheduled break, but in this case we simply didn’t. We’ve suffered through life issues for years now, but this time a bunch hit at once and we had to step aside for a short time.

FWIW, we *would* post if we were shutting the site down for good. We’re no Newsweek, but we are enough of a business entity that we can’t (and wouldn’t anyway) just abandon the site. :)

11. browndog77 says:

I had a lot of fun yesterday, creating a small built-in bookshelf for my grandkid’s bathroom. I started with a couple of rough poplar boards from trees I had removed and sawn on-site by a local guy w/ a portable mill. After resawing/planing/jointing the pieces and routing & dadoing the sides, I assembled everything and added some nicely shaped molding (via an ogee bit) and this morning I will paint the box & shelves and add the hardware (adjustable shelf track, hidden in the dados). I rarely get a chance to use so much of my equipment in one day, and it was nice enough to do most everything outside. A good day , indeed!

12. I spent most of yesterday helping a group of 10-12 year olds with a welding project. They are building rafts to float down a stream, but needed a way to transport their rafts to the water. So I helped them cut up some old bicycles and make a trailer that they can drag behind a bike.

Today, I’m working on more salvaged trumpet iPhone docks.

13. b. foo says:

Packing things up to move out of the occupied territory of Kalifornia and move to the free state of Texas.

• Chuck Cage says:

Welcome. There are plusses and minuses. The people here are indeed pretty friendly, assuming you think the way they do in most senses or at least don’t talk about it at all. Things can get a bit over-the-top religious here, too. We have very nice springs and falls, though each lasts pretty much two weeks. And there’s little risk of earthquake damage, assuming a tornado doesn’t get you. :)

14. Jim Crowell says:

Working on a cedar pergola. Then comes framing/installing windows in the shed, cleaning out the shed and making a work area. Moving all tools except for one household kit out to the shed.

15. Dr Bob says:

Cleaning up debris and downed trees after a small tornado hit our farm place. House, garage, granary and machine shed are damaged but repairable. Two garden sheds were flattened.

The big mess is the 30 trees that are sheared off or damaged so badly they’ll have to be removed. Some are over 80 years old.

Need a chain saw sharpener badly. Any recommendations?

Bob