Despite the Tim Allen-grunt-inspired popularity of chainsaws, we’ve recommended safety saws for most homeowners. They’re not as versatile as full-on chainsaws, but they trade a little bit of utility for a ton and a half of safety, which can make all the difference for someone who probably picks up a saw only once or twice a year. We’ve heard plenty of good things about Black & Decker’s Alligator Lopper, and Worx offers something sort of similar — but even simpler in operational terms. They call it the JawSaw, and it’s a little cheaper now than when it was first introduced.

Like the Alligator Lopper, the JawSaw shields the blade and restricts cutting motion to prevent accidents, but the JawSaw takes this a step further, burying the blade entirely in the “jaw” of the tool, exposing it only when cutting. To cut, you place the branch in the jaw then push forward on the JawSaw’s sliding handle, activating the blades and moving them into position to cut the gripped branch.

The whole system looks surprisingly slick, especially when you consider that an available extension lets you reach up to 12 feet to cut high branches. It’s electric, but not cordless, and relies on a 5A motor to support its 4″ cutting capacity. It also includes auto-tension and auto-oil features, so it’s about as idiot-proof as something with moving chain blades can be.

Street pricing starts around $110, with a 12′ extension pole checking in at around $35 more. Hell, this might make a decent gift for someone you know who trims their own trees, and it’s far less likely to cut off their (instead of the tree’s) limbs than a chainsaw. Of course, keep the Alligator Lopper in mind as well. It’s a little cheaper at $90. Our key message here: if you (or more importantly the person for whom you’re buying this saw) doesn’t have experience with full chainsaws — or just wants to accomplish basic lawn and garden cutting tasks — these safety models make a lot of sense.

The JawSaw [Worx]
Street Pricing
[Google]
Via Amazon¬† [What’s This?]

9 Responses to Another Safe Way to Trim Branches

1. Gary Z says:

Sweet!

2. Yadda says:

I own the B&D Lopper. Great tool for limbs. It is convenient and makes short work of lopping off limbs and turning them into firewood and small brush.

3. SteveH says:

Welcome back Chuck….
    Many of us readers were getting a bit nervous/concerned.

4. craig says:

the neighbor uses this one and loves it. i’ve tried to talk my wife into it for her forays into the thicket we call a yard. she just grunts and pulls on the stihl’s cord.

5. Jerry says:

Borrowed one of these from a friend who said he used it once and tossed it into his “Why did I buy this” pile. I thought it was pretty decent but I was really mostly unimpressed. On the other hand,I have been using chain saws since I was about 14 or 15 so this did seem a bit abnormal in my hands. Seemed to cut quite nicely. However, for an occasional branch here and there, a simple little bow saw for about ten bucks would so as well and how often will you trim off a branch or two?

6. paul says:

I own the black and decker pole saw. That thing is works wonders. I almost never get the gas saw out anymore. I use the pole saw to cut stuff overhead, cut bushes down that would be a pain to reach into… It is very nice to be standing on the ground when cutting limbs from a tree, I always got that uneasy feeling standing on a ladder while removing a 20ft long branch. If I’m standing on the ground I can at leave move out of the way if things go wrong. While probably not recommended i;ve used ti while on my roof, and Ive used it to get extra reach while on a ladder; just a great tool.

This tool looks useless though, it doesnt have a 20ft reach, and it doesnt do more than a handheld saw.

7. Kurt says:

Pruning blade in a sawzall does the job and the tool is useful the other 360 days of the year. If I had a lot of property and needed to do serious cutting I’d use a gas chain saw, but the sawzall requires much less maintenance, is safer and will cut through anything I run across. Just cut down a small tree in the back yard; the ability to cut the stump flush with the ground would make it worthwhile even without the other advantages.

8. Jim says:

Looks like a solution in search of a problem. I second the bow saw and recip saw (with an Ugly blade) suggestions, far cheaper and much more versatile.

9. Toolfreak says:

I thought we had all laughed at this in a previous posting. I believe the general concensus was this tool was perfect for accidentally chopping off your foot, or the extension cord on the ground.