Where blades like Case are often more stylish and fancy of handle, Buck tends to take the shortest distance between two points as far as luxury and looks — their philosophy tends to lean toward function over form. We’ve always liked that. In fact, for roughly two decades, my favorite “carry knife” was a Buck grey mini. The Lux Pro is a few steps up from the mini but serves about the same purpose — a lightweight, lockback blade that doesn’t scream “problem child” if it comes out of your pocket in polite company.

The 3 3/4″ frame (closed) is constructed of steel wrapped in titanium with a carbon fiber inset to form the handle. The opening stud on the 2 1/2″ drop point blade is small but functional, and presents a very thin and elegant appearance. The two screws at the back secure a belt clip. Its appearance rides the line between the “tactical” look and a boardroom head turner, but manages to come out just a shade on the business side.

Buck’s website suggests this is a $130 blade; however, most sites seem to offer this up at around $70-$80 without much of an issue.

Lux Pro [Buck]
Street Pricing [Google Shopping]

15 Responses to Buck Lux Pro

1. uqbar says:

Titanium and (non-functional) carbon fiber does not sound like form over function to me. Also, I would worry about losing a $130 (or $70) pocket knife, or having the TSA jerks confiscate it because I forgot we’re supposed to live in fear.

I’ve got a cheap 3 blade pocket knife in my pocket right now – it’s so old that the cheap plastic “bone” covers have worn off. It cuts string and other stuff, works as an occasional screw driver and pry bar, and I won’t worry if I lose it, break a blade, or whatever. You call *that* a pocket knife? My knife is a pocket knife!

2. Fong says:

I like it. It’s a clean use of carbon fiber without making it look tacky. I do think think it odd that carbon fiber and titanium would make you seem less of a problem child than steel blade wrapped in wood. Normally, I associate high end pocket cutlery with people who’ve only used it to open packages and letters.

With how many cutting tools within arms reach, I don’t have much of a need for a dedicated blade anymore. I had a Spyderco for nearly 10 years before losing it on a camping trip. Now, I just putz around with my Skeletool carbon…that I occasionally use to open boxes and mail. =P

3. GadgetLovingGeezer says:

I am left handed. This Buck knife is designed for right handed people so I probably would not purchase it.

• Kieran says:

It has thumb studs on both sides as well as a flipper and it’s not hard to operate a frame or liner lock with the “wrong” hand, you either push it the opposite way with your thumb or use one of your fingers.

• Rafaela | Oberschenkel abnehmen says:

I am left handed too and your right but… it´s still hard for us in the right handed world :´( :)

4. Tetsubo says:

I have come to dislike thumb-studs. I prefer either a flipper or a thumb-hole. I think they deploy more smoothly out of the pocket.

5. Joe says:

I bought this knife for $80 and am really happy with it. It does work for both left and right handed people; as I am left handed. Anyway, definitely worth the money at the $80 price.

6. David says:

I could see myself wanting one of these if I were hiking or camping a lot and didn’t have much fear of losing the knife or it getting stolen, and the light weight would make it much less of a hassle. But around the house and around town I carry a small SOG folder. The assisted open is convenient (and fun) every time I need to use the thing, and it’s just a flat titanium frame so it doesn’t snag anything in my pocket. Still paid what I consider a lot for it ($35) for a small pocket knife, but even then that’s half the price of this Buck knife.

7. Jeff says:

I’m sort of a knife snob. I’ll balk at a $3 coffee but not think twice about carrying a $200-$400 knife.

One thing that gets me on this is the steel isn’t listed. Usually if it’s top notch stuff the company wants to make sure you know what you are paying for. No mention at all makes me wonder.

For a little more, you can build your own Benchmade Griptilian or Mini Griptilian. You pick the handle color, clip type, blade style, material and shape. http://www.benchmade.com/customize/default.aspx

Plus their lifetime guarantee is no joke. In my military duties I have straight up ABUSED a Benchmade AFO. You know; hammering, chiseling, prybar-ing and all the other stuff you shouldn’t do with a pocket knife! They sent it back razor sharp and tuned up with new parts for free everytime. I can’t ask for much more!

• PutnamEco says:

Re:Jeffsays:
      “Plus their lifetime guarantee is no joke”

Buck knives stand behind their lifetime guarantee as well. They have a LONG history of doing so.

• Kewee says:

You must have missed something because it’s clearly stated on Buck’s website that the blade is s30v.

According to me, given the price and the specs, this it’s a pretty good deal.

Personnally, I wouldn’t buy it because of the “goofy” blade shape, but this is more a matter of taste than anything else.

8. craig says:

buck has been caught in this ergonomic design loop for quite awhile now. sad to say as goofy as their blades look they are wonderful in use.

i keep picking them up on clearance racks because they truly are goofy-looking and they keep cycling out of the retail loop as they aren’t purchased in adequate numbers.

in the last five or six years i’ve bought $500-600 dollars worth of knives for about $150. i’m happy with that.

$80 isn’t much for a keeper, my last case was almost twice that. too offset that i bought a $4 stockman at walmart the other day. see perfect economic and functional balance.

jonesing for knives is an dirty little hobby. however everybody has a vice and they are all expensive.

9. browndog77 says:

I have a Kershaw that is similar in size, and I really wish the manufacturers would rethink the “make the handle only long enough to house the blade” mindset. The shape and width if this blade makes it ideal for doing things that the handle is too short to do safely! I have fairly large hands, and this is an awkward design, IMHO!

10. Steve says:

Anyone want to take a ride over to tool monger HQ and make sure Chuck and sean are still alive?