When I was a kid, my father put together a great metal toolbox for me, complete with what I now realize was a mix of mechanic’s and household tools — perfect for, say, working on my bike or building small projects. I don’t have a picture of it, but I remember that it was a mid-sized metal box similar to the one pictured above. As an adult, though, I find myself increasingly assembling tool kits on the fly for household or mobile projects, and recently I’ve favored tool bags for that application. That got me to thinking: What do you use to carry your tools, and more importantly, why?

It seems to me that like with any tool, the proper storage tool is the one that most perfectly matches the application. For example, my kiddie tool box served mostly as a tool chest, holding my tools much the way roll-aways do now. I rarely carried the box itself around, instead keeping it in the spot Dad cleared off for it and putting my tools back in it when I was done. For my mobile jobs now, I’m pretty much exclusively carrying the bag around. I load it up with whatever it is I need, do the job, then return the tools to their permanent storage locations.

But I’ve noticed that over the last few months some tools tend to stay in the bag(s) more than they do in the cabinets. I’m talking about tools like a couple of basic standard and Phillips screwdrivers, a small tack hammer, a measuring tape, a mid-sized and large adjustable wrench, some wire clippers, and so on — all the stuff I need to hang pictures, plan projects, fix the toilet, and so on. So I’m tempted to load up some of my spares into a full-time kit for just that purpose.

I’m interested in use cases far outside of my own, though. For example, what about guys who carry a fixed kit every day? My HVAC guy comes to mind. I saw him lugging a mid-sized box with a small variety of tools perfect for A/C work. I can’t help but think that maybe he’d be better served by a bag as he could just toss the tools in when he’s done (which he tried to do with the box over and over). Also, the bag is a lot easier to carry. Then again, he may have thought of this and rejected it for reasons I don’t understand.

What do you think?

60 Responses to Box vs. Bag: How Do You Carry Your Tools?

1. Regis says:

When I was working as an electrician, I spent most of my time using 3 or 4 tools (lineman’s pliers, screwdriver, razor knife, and a drywall saw). I’d keep the rest of my tools in a leather-bottomed canvas bag that I could haul into the jobsite if needed. I think of the metal toolboxes as more of a stationary thing that one would keep in a shop or in the truck, since they’re extra heavy. If you’re carrying a bunch of delicate tools and measuring gear, though, I can see the point of the metal box since it’s that much more protective.

2. john b says:

I use different tool boxes for different applications. I do a lot of electronics work with a bunch of small tools that I want to keep together. I keep these in a small 4 drawer tool box. i also keep a solder station and a panavise in a small suitcase to go along with this.

When I need to take a bunch of tools and transport them in the back of a pickup, I keep them in a 5 gallon bucket (with the original top). This creates a water tight tool box so I don’t have to worry about them getting wet.

I use rubber maid containers for my painting a drywall tools.

I even use a old wide mouth doctors bag for a tool box around the house.

As you said “the proper storage tool is the one that most perfectly matches the application”

3. Tom says:

I tend to go bags for mobile. I have a few sizes and depending on the job pack what I think I might need.

I also have a bucket(w/organizer) that I keep in the basement for projects around the house with a set of basic tools that covers most tasks.

4. browndog77 says:

When I was installing appliances almost exclusively, I got into the habit of using a bag, at first because it was less likely to mar a kitchen floor, but I liked the flexibility of having both hand & power tools in the same package along with the essential wrenches and cutters and whatever that I knew would probably come into play before I finished the job. Now that I am back to renovation work, I use a large box for the majority of my everyday tools, but I still have special bags for soldering; electrical; tile etc. tools that contain the items I know I would need for those projects. I also carry a couple of canvas rolls for hand tools and divided boxes for smaller items. Bags have a tendency to gather stuff on the jobsite, and get heavier every day!

5. woodrow5000 says:

I tend to keep a “go bag” with very basic items, as well. It’s a nylon bag that I think is purposed for a drill or something or the like. It serves me well and has the building blocks for most jobs that I can add to if necessary. It’s generally not my best gear, as that has it’s place in my work shop, but it’s suitable for running to my brother in law’s house to help him out, etc.

6. Clark Kent, Esq. says:

Lately i have been keeping all my tools in the garage in the box and on the pegboard and then carrying them in a 5 gallon bucket. I had a tool bag, (the husky kind that are like a cross between the bad and the toolbox) but it got unruly and way to heavy.

7. Joeuser says:

Veto Pro pac… the only way to carry the tools that help you earn a living

• Wayne R. says:

I agree. Bags are my preference for carrying (not so hostile to knees & vehicles), but the open pit style always has the tool I need under all the others. The Veto Pro keeps things standing up, organized, easy to find and – a real key when you move around a lot – easy to make sure everything’s back where it should be.

Though I wish mine had a large cavity too for power tools, parts, etc.

8. MikeT says:

Woodworking tools stay in the workshop, where they’re needed. I have two cat litter buckets with tool organizers on them where I keep my electrical and plumbing tools, so I can take them to whatever part of the house they’re needed in without having to assemble an ad hoc kit.

9. Blind says:

I have a metal drawer box in my garage with the bulk of my tools, but I keep a plastic tool box for when i need to pack some up to travel. I also have a Husky mechanic set that i keep in the plastic case for ease of transport.

10. Paul says:

When I was doing HVAC work I used a tool pouch for most of my work with a tool box and shelves in my service van, or later a tool bed on a one ton pickup. Good times. Now everything from electrical to automotive is in toolboxes and I just carry it in what ever is handy if I need to take it somewhere.

11. fred says:

We use custom fitted Knaack boxes for the larger tools on bigger – longer term job sites – have some vans outfitted for tool and parts storage often just using plastic pails (with or without external pockets or internal dividers) to carry what we need from the vans. We have some power tools and pneumatics still stored in their factory cases and then a mix of other things.
    For individual workers – I can see the appeal of cloth tool bags, hard-sided toolboxes with wheels and all sorts of other solutions that fit a worker’s style and typical tasks – but when crews are often reconstituted and van assignments rotated, more consistency and geater tool protection (than afforded by cloth bags) might make more sense.

12. ddt says:

home depot bucket, and a bucket organizer. The cheapest solution with the most storage options.

• Ian says:

No kidding. I got mine as a gift. Wasn’t sure i wanted it and now it’s central. It stays loaded with a ton of drivers, knives, punches, bits, hammer, torpedo level, pliers, small pry bars, tape, zip ties, etc. Then the job specific extras load in the bucket. I’ve thought about changing for something more refined but it works too well.

13. Brad Justinen says:

Tool Boxes and 5 Gallon Buckets with holes drilled in the bottom. In Seattle, tool bags get wet and stay wet.

14. Sawdust Everywhere says:

Since I don’t go from job to job very often, nearly everything of mine resides in metal tool chests, on peg boards, track wall, or shelves. I have my painting supplies (I’ve been renovating my house this past 6 months) in an empty 5gal Kilz bucket with a bucket organizer to get all my brushes and stuff from room to room.

When I need to move about, I prefer soft sided tool bags. More availability to fit oddly shaped things in or to overfill it some. When a plastic or metal tool box is full, it’s full. No amount of coercion is going to make it fit more. A bag can be stuffed.

I have this bag here and highly recommend it: http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00948347000P?prdNo=1

• Jeff says:

Those are a nice bit of kit you’ve built. The drill caddy reminds me of a box my Grandfather had. His was a hair taller with small drawers on the bottom for organizing bits and drivers.

15. Dave says:

As an electrician– 22″ Kennedy Cantilever tool box for side jobs and the same in 18″ for my reg job.

16. Jeff says:

A thought on using boxes: At work, the aircraft mechs use boxes with foam cutouts for every tool in the box and a specialized box dedicated to different jobs. This way they can quickly and accurately inventory their tools so as not to lose one or leave it behind.

My personal stuff is all in roll aways and much like others, I load up a bag for jobs outside the shop. Lately I have been building up specialized bags of tools for use when off-roading in order to shed weight and so I don’t forget something important when I raid the roll away before a trip.

17. Eric R says:

I have an old school open top, long, oak plumber’s tote, with a long hardwood dowel handle.
    A friend made it for me a long, long time ago, and I believe it would follow me home by itself if it had to.
    I wouldn’t trade that thing for any other box, period.
    Good topic Chuck.

18. A Bucket w/organizer and what i would call an open top rigid tool Bag. I’ve found with canvas and softsided bags that the tool you need always sinks to the bottom of the bag! Veto pro pac would be ideal in a perfect world but they’re too expensive

19. jose says:

CLC 1509 Tool Pouch. I have owned every bag like veto and home depot stuff. They always end up being to big and heavy. I like my back and my body which makes this bag perfect. Big plus it zips up so all of your tools don’t fall out and lose them. However I found the veto bag strap to be the perfect accessory for this bag

20. Cameron Watt says:

For overhead door service work my lesser used tools go in a 3 drawer metal box to be taken out as needed and the tools that are used for most calls go in a bag that always gets taken in with me. All the driver and drill bits go in a cookie tin in the bag and it gets dumped on the floor wherever I work.

When I was doing fabrication work and had helpers using my tools I used a box with French fitted drawers to help keep track of everything; that scheme is done and now the drawers all have cutlery-style dividers made from 1/4 plywood.

21. macdo says:

I have a couple of ex-army canvas shoulder bags that I use all the time – gas mask size. One is known to the family as “Dad’s bag of spanners”, as in “go and get Dad’s bag of spanners”. My Dad used to work for the UK GPO and had some lovely leather tool wallets he was issued with.

22. Ross says:

All of the above. As a carpenter that winds up branching out into handyman work in a variety of trades organization is most important. I have a truck canopy with tool storage on both sides. My every day tool load lives in the side compartments leaving the main truck bed free for specialty tools and materials. I have infrequently used tools that I need available every day in a three drawer tool box that lives in the truck. My every day tools live in a Veto Pro Pack. The rest of my tools are in bags, stackable Rubbermaid tubs, and occasionally their original cases if there is room for an appropriate assortment of bits/blades/accessories.

23. Dave D says:

I use a 5 gallon bucket with a Bucket Boss organizer. Most of the tradesmen on my jobs use a bucket organizer or soft bag. When I started in residential construction many years ago, homemade boxes like Eric R’s or heavy metal boxes were the norm, but that,like so many other things, has completely changed.

24. Mike Lee says:

I have approximately 30 boxes and 10 bags. What I notice with the bags, tools were harder to find. Boxes you can separate into two sections which makes it easier to locate the tools. At the moment, I have been storing my battery operating tools into the bags. As per previous writers, boxes give your tools better protection.

25. Jerry says:

Good topic! Lots of responders. Personally, being an “old geezer”, I have tried any number of tool toting methods. Several years back I switched to a nice, soft leather bag. Pockets inside, pockets outside and heavy duty leather. This is, of course, for portable use, not around the shop. I have stocked the bag with an assortment of tools (and small parts) and just leave those tools in the bag, always ready to go. Someone mentioned rain. In Oregon, we sure have our fair share of that stuff. I use a “raincoat” on the bag when needed. It was designed for the bag and compresses enough to take up very little space in the bag when not needed. As my jobs become more “shop jobs” and less on the road, I use the bag less and less but keep it cleaned and stocked for those trips out and about.

26. Daren says:

I’m a big fan of a custom built boxes with a spot for everything. First, you know where everything is. Second, you can do a spot check and make sure everything is there before leaving home or before leaving a job site. Since these photos I’ve modified the box to hold a 10.8v Makita Drill/Impact driver set for light duty power work. http://www.flickr.com/photos/usefulguy/sets/72157594253729627/with/226362636/

• Jeff says:

27. Michael W says:

I carry my furniture/cabinetry related tools in bags. I customize the contents depending what I’m doing at the clients house (I tend to make the bulk of my designs at my shop prior to installation).

If I’m doing any kind of plumbing (I also do Solar hot water installs), then I grab my plumbing tool box which has all the tools I need already in it.

28. Colby says:

I use a Husky bag that my dad got me for Christmas a couple years back. I love it. Much better than the cheap, plastic toolbox I’d been using since my early teen years.

My only complaint is that I often need my ratchet set and there’s no easy way to carry both (ratchets and tool bag) in one hand. And I’m not about to take my ratchets out of the box for storage. That’s just a rookie mistake.

29. PutnamEco says:

Both, I have a Veto Pro Pac XL that has my commonly used tools, backed up by a couple of Fat Max waterproof tool boxes for less commonly needed tools. One toolbox for assembly projects and one set up for finishing projects. I also use gang boxes for transportation and storage of tools on larger projects. One usually lives on the back of my truck.
    I make use of plastic totes as well, most of my painting gear is in them as well as my extension cords. I’ll also use milk crate like totes for hauling supplies. I also like to store my nails/fasteners in ammo cans in an attempt to keep the rust at bay.
    I also keep a smaller portable tool chest (2 Drawer) for my mechanic type tools, like ratchet sets, combo wrenches etc.

30. Ben Granucci says:

At work, I keep everything in my tool chest, sorted in its proper drawers depending on what it is. For work around the shop, I have a couple of plastic “tote trays” that the tools I need for a particular job can be kept in. I keep 2 so that if I get pulled off 1 project to do a second, I can just grab the second tote and leave whatever I don’t need with the first project until I return. The totes I use have a small drawer on the bottom that can hold some of my more frequently needed hardware bits, zip ties, pens/markers/toe tags, to minimize trips back to the workshop. I also have a plastic rolling cart that I can take with me for extra workspace and tool storage. For offsite work, I have a couple of tool bags that I use, a midsize and a large that rolls. I tend to prefer the larger one given its multitude of interior pockets. I also have a field service kit that is an old “universal” drill case with a divided compartment area on top that is stocked with a wide assortment of hardware etc, and an interior compartment that can hold parts from stock if I am going into the field for work.

31. Frank says:

I mainly keep everything in my tool chest. I used to use a bag but i found that to be kind of limiting. Now a days i use my carwash bucket to carry arond my tools. However i keep a small to box in my trunk that has “Zerust” impregnated in to the plastic. It keeps the hand tools I’ve had in there for the last 8 years from rusting.

32. Mike47 says:

I tend to use tool totes like this a lot: http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/storage/bins-totes-containers/baskets/plastic-tool-caddy-1?utm_source=google_pr;utm_medium=cpc;utm_campaign=Baskets-Caddy-google_pr;infoParam.campaignId=T9F

Most of my tools stay in my garage-shop, but ever since I was burgled (twice), I tend to de-centralize tool storage with some in my shop, some in my basement, and a few in my truck. When I have a house repair project, I grab what I need and pile them in 1 or 2 tool totes and go. I also keep all my electrical hand tools in 2 tool totes that are easy to grab and go with.

33. Niels Hubbell says:

Since I no longer need to carry tools for a crew on a daily basis I have abandoned the tool box in back of truck. For quick help the lids jobs or working on a charity project I keep several 5 gallon drywall buckets in my shop. I can fill them up with tools, screws, drill index, batteries etc and be gone in 5 minutes. when I get back everything goes back where it belongs..No need for fancy bags or totes of which I have several.

34. Dreamcatcher says:

Oh Toolmonger, you have just hit upon my single greatest tool related peeve…Boxes vs Bags vs Buckets!

While boxes can possibly provide a great means of tool organization, bags will always only be pseudo-organization. I suppose that is good step for those who where previously totally unorganized but for anyone who actually likes to know where everything is then a bag is certainly not the answer (especially Veto bags).

I purchase or build custom boxes for groupings of commonly associated tools; electrical, plumbing, mechanical, metal fab, trim carpentry, automotive, etc. This does mean I have more than just one screwdriver (more than a set for that matter) but what guy doesn’t anymore? Instead of throwing EVERYTHING into that monstrous 26 drawer roll around that everyone [except me] has in their garage try stacking multiple manageably sized toolboxes on a simple roll around shelf. Then there is no need to pick and choose individual tools for a task but rather just grab a pre-assembled kit of tools and go.

I reserve a special gripe for bucket tool “organizers”. Whoever thought that hanging 100 tool handles on the outside of a bucket never traveled with their tools. The tools always get hung up on something and fall out, the pockets fill with dust and hold moisture, the bucket becomes top heavy and tips over at every other stop light. In the end all the tools just end up in the bottom of the bucket beneath a layer of woodchips, sawdust, and spare plumbing parts. No thanks.

Just because you can fit everything you own in one bucket, box, or bag doesn’t make you organized.

dc

• PutnamEco says:

Re:Dreamcatchersays:

I don’t understand your dislike of the Veto, they are the only bags that I have found with any semblance of an adequate, rational, organizational layout (well, besides Occidentals offering) and it has worked well for me, to the point that I can reach in blind and grab the tool I need. Then again, I don’t have mine overloaded, Using it often, when a tool belt would not be appropriate . I also subscribe to the multiple, job specific, tool carrying option. My Veto Pro Pac is what I use for my “first strike” option, with just a basic set of hand tools and a few measuring, marking and lay out tools.
      Care to elaborate on your dislike of the Veto Bags?

• Dreamcatcher says:

Veto sells on the premise that you can load it up with an unbelievable number of hand tools. Every one that I have seen on job sites would probably be described as “overloaded”. Then again for what they charge, I suppose you need to overload it to get your monies worth. I once moved a coworker’s Veto LT and I swear it weighed almost 80 pounds… and that’s the smaller version.

But, what is the point of taking every tool you own with you to every job? If you only need a handful of tools then why not just take a handful of well chosen tools?

On top of that is keeping track of your tools. Using the system I use, I never lose tools. Every tool has a specific spot in it’s case and I put them back every night. In a bag system, I don’t feel that is as easily achieved. The more pockets and the more tool holding capacity offered only confounds the issue further.

If you want to see some REAL tool box organization, then look up some examples of “French Fitting” or “F.O.D. toolboxes”…. you won’t find either of those techniques in bags nor buckets.

• fled says:

I know old article but I find the Veto bags to be heavier than sin unloaded. A bag that heavy without a single toolnin it has no place on my work truck where we may be walking 100yds uphill to reach a closed site. Electricians totes are my choice. Small enough to avoid overloading and low enough center of balance to keep from tipping over. Not so deep as a bag or bucket that you lose tools sinking to the bottom. My last one was $6 at the local thrift store unused.

35. Michael W says:

What I love best about these kinds of questions is the responses of people who know “The Only Correct Answer” and are adamant about it, usually inadvertently, or purposely, insulting anyone who would dare disagree with them.

To make it clear, there is no “Right” answer to this question, only what works best for you.

36. tgood says:

For my service job I carry a tool bag with lots of pockets. Every tool has a pocket, no more than two tools per pocket. I take a visual inventory whenever I leave a job and can tell at a glance what I’m trying to leave behind.

37. Kurt says:

Since I do a lot of handyman work, I use a modular system of two buckets, a wide mouth bag, and a tote. One bucket holds power tools, with their accessories in the organizer on the outside. The other holds a 100′ extension cord, with the plug end extending through a hole drilled near the bottom a few feet, and the rest coiled to be brought out as needed. The wide mouth holds my most common hand tools, and the tote is for supplies. I use a number of the small fishing tackle boxes to store screws, dowels to fix stripped holes, general electrical, CCTV connectors; whatever I need for discreet tasks, and throw the relevant one(s) into the tote along with anything else I need, such as hinges. Two trips to the truck gets all I need for most jobs, or sometimes just one if it does not require the long extension cord or a lot of power tools. Works for me!

38. Jack says:

Great post. I have a Dewalt heavy duty bag (18″ x 12″ I think). It has a nice shoulder strap. While it is relatively heavy, I can transport all the tools I need easily. When I am working in basement doing woodworking stuff, I keep it on a rolling cart. My tool are right where I need them and the zipper keeps the dust out. I like the leather craft pouch mentioned above. I’d like to get that as well and keep that in the big Dewalt bag.

This system has worked well for me.

39. Ron says:

Stumbled across a quick and dirty method for French fitting. Use washer stacks to make finger cut-outs:

40. tsander says:

Actually, I use different tool storage systems for different types of tools.

I have a toolbox for storing “every day” tools like a 16 oz claw hammer, screwdrivers, pliers, adjustable wrenches, level, etc. so they are ready to grab and go.

I use a tool belt for frequently used items like a utility knife, nail set, pencil, multitip screwdriver, etc. I add pouches for storing nails or screws.

I use a couple of tool bags for storing different categories of power tools. One is my “drilling” bag and holds an 18V drill, impact driver, batteries, charger, bits, etc. The other is my “cutting” bag and holds a recip saw, jigsaw, a circ saw, and all the blades.

I also have an electrician’s pouch which I use for storing insulated screw drivers, electrical testers, etc.

Finally, I use one 5 gal bucket for painting supplies and another for plumbing supplies.

41. PutnamEco says:

One of the reasons I prefer tool storage that can be closed is all the sawdust, swarf, and other jobsite debris that end up in any open containers, especially with all the basketball stars who think any bucket is fair game for their trash basket shooting skills. Nothing like putting a bucket of screws down and coming back to find it full of half a days off cuts.

42. rob says:

I also put my vote in for a veto pro pack my back is awsome for my hand tools and bits etc etc

but for power tools I have I big stanley rolling box think it is the biggest plastic one they make

43. Matthew says:

At work I use a big ol’ toolbag, but keep my tools sorted into individual bank bags – screwdrivers in one, pliers and wrenches in another, and so on. It’s worked out well for me, and keeps the leads for my DMM from getting all torn up.

44. Driver says:

I have a bag that has the basics in it at all times – hammer, screwdrivers, tape, util knife, glues, a handful of various fasteners and and nails.

And most importantly – a pencil!

Every time I would do a small job around the house, I’d end up making 20 trips back to the shop to get something I’d forgotten or didn’t have enough hands to carry.

Now I have the bag that’s got 75% of what I need, and I pack in the other 25% that I can think of before I do anything.

45. Dave says:

I confess, I gave up and ordered one of these:

Reason being, my wife didn’t like me “raiding” her personal toolbox (which she’s proud of),and I got sick and tired of always having to shuffle tools back and forth between the house and the garage (where I have a large rolling cabinet, plus 8-10 nice drawer-style boxes for specialty stuff, and many, many plastic bins for painting prep, plumbing & electrical bits, etc.)

Having used it for the past few days, it’s nice to have a set of driver bits, a hammer, and other “common” stuff in an easy to port bag around the house, while still leaving the main tools in their place and ready to go in the garage and workshop.

Plus, for these kind of tools, organization is less critical, since there are just fewer things to dig through before you find what you’re looking for.

46. I use the Festool Sortainers with wheels to go from client to client
    in our cabinet Hinge repair business.

I use a 4 drawer Sortainer on bottom for the tools and a screw
    organizer Systainer on top, the idea is that I need to have all the
    parts with me as I go from cabinet to cabinet and found it to be a
    pain to have to put everything back into the bag and then fish it out,
    by using a wheeled box I can pile things on top and move quickly and when I’m done everything has a designated place.

There’s nothing like walking into a clients house with this serious looking box!

47. Richard says:

A few years ago, I bought several Bucket Boss 1 gallon tool organizers with plastic buckets as gifts. I think they were meant as “toys” for kids. I only paid $8 or so. I kept 4 for myself. These are perfect for organizing hand tools by specific job type. I have one for electrical, one for plumbing, one for painting/drywall and the last as general carpentry.

I wish I could find them again, but have never seen them since.

48. Warren A Steele says:

I KEEP my tools in a hard plastic or metal toolbox, but I’ve learned to load up and TAKE a soft BAG with all the tools I need, even if it’s out to the car, or the back bedroom. The metal toolboxes I have ended up getting too heavy. Then I got a tool chest, so….

49. scott wilson says:

I have used a lot of bags and tool boxes. I am a Designer and IT professional. Nothing compares to these bags, and cases.
    AWESOME QUALITY!!!! NOTHING CAN COMPARE TO THEM PERIOD.

50. mark says:

Ive tried every possible way to transport my tools from job to job and keep them organized and ive learned one thing bags boxes and buckets all suck ive bought the most expensive and used the totally free and still come out frustrated and disappointed I’m a home improvement contractor and go from job to job sometimes several jobs a day and at this point in my life after some 20yrs in the field I use an army of every possible container available.

• fled says:

Amen dude, there are drawbacks to every storage method. Me and my fellow service tech use three drywall buckets now and an electricians tote. One bucket for simple adjustment tools, one for hardware, one for trash and a tote to feed out of. Buckets can be used as step stools and stools in a pinch and theyre free out of construction dumpsters. Power tools stay in their cases to avoid damage.