The Delta Cyclone 50-905 dust collector looks a little like a giant garbage disposal. Then again, its job is largely the same — it takes bits of crap you don’t want lying about and gets them out of sight so you can go on with your day. The difference is the cyclone is a 32-gallon monster with a 1-1/2 HP motor behind it that packs 10 inches of static pressure.

Upon learning that, our first thought was “Wow, that sounds sweet…and we have no idea what that means to us in the shop.” What it means is this machine is a 240v cyclone-powered beast that separates chips into a bucket and shunts particles (AKA dust) into the waiting bag (at right in the above picture). The hand crank on top of the unit spins to even out particles in the filter and drop them into the bag for better flow with no buildup. The system can be used with two 4″ dust ports or on 6″ port.

Of course this unit will run you around $1,300 retail, so unless you either really care about particle matter floating about your shop or are running that kind of volume through on a regular basis, this won’t be on the “to-do” list quite yet. Still looks cool, though.

Cyclone 50-905 [Delta]

11 Responses to Delta Cyclone Dust Collection

1. What are some smaller-scale, more reasonably-priced dust collection alternatives? Waiting for a warmish, dry day so I can do some cutting outside and spare my garage contents from the dust gets frustrating sometimes.

• Taylor says:

I think the Dust Deputy (http://www.oneida-air.com/homepage.asp?) is pretty good. Though I actually have it set up as a first stage on a shop vac that ends up pulling the final air through a few inches of water (a homemade version of the sand & kleen system – http://tinyurl.com/sndkleen). The system isn’t super easy to carry around, but does about as well as I think you could ask from a 120v setup.

• Ray says:

I use my shopvac connected to one of these on a 5 gal. bucket:

The bottom of my table saw is enclosed (an easy modification), and I made an outlet to connect a hose. This catches a significant amount of sawdust, and is well worth the money in my opinion.

I also have a variety of hoses and adapters (you can buy shopvac hose by the foot, and fittings) to go with my router and mitre saw.

Not 100% perfect, but what is? Given the affordability and compactness of my setup, I’m quite satisfied. Very easy to put away and store when not in use. For my metal chop saw, I still go outside, though. I don’t want that nasty grit in my shopvac.

There are also far less expensive dedicated dust collection machines available. There’s a decent looking one for about $175, if you’ve got the space.

Lots of possibilities, in fact.

• joe says:

Smaller-scale and cheap…
      a furnace/ac filter on each side of a box fan works better than you think it would, especially in a small space like a basement or garage where there’s not much, if any, air flow.

2. Joeuser says:

Do some research.. the small particles, >5 microns can kill you.. a furnace filter will not filter them out..

3. Gary P. says:

A while back I looked into dust collection and found Bill Pentz’s site. He’s got a lot of information available (learning some of it cost him half of his lung function) and you can learn a lot that will probably save you some money.

Many of the commercial units take care of the chips and sawdust but don’t do anything about the fine dust in the air. Some units even make it worse. Bill’s design does a great job, or so he says. I haven’t built or bought any dust collection unit, but I keep his link in my Favorites for when it’s the right time to proceed.

4. ShopMonger says:

You can get sucked into the DC nightmare so easy. And although Bill Penz does have some good information, please don’t get stuck into the hype that is sometimes caused by the people who panic over particulate in the air…That being said a box fan with a fine micron filter on it if good for the air filter, but it is also a good idea to have removal right at the source, so a good solid shop vacuum, with maybe a cyclone filter attachment like some from Onida, and others that fit on a trash can, which allows you to handle more material for a longer period, by filtering out the saw dust from the nasty particles. I also recommend vacuum, bags, to help your shop vac last longer. A lot of this i Learned from Marc Spagnuolo “The Wood Whisperer”. also simple things like circulating air and even just opening a window can really help.

ShopMonger

• browndog77 says:

It is amazing how much difference putting a bag in makes in the function of a shop vac. Dust is reduced dramatically, and there is little or no loss in suction right up to the full point. I have used mine to clean chimneys and all the mess goes out w. the bag. I first made the change in the middle of a drywall cleanup and was really surprised!

5. cory says:

You guys should check out this link to a dust collector I made using a Harbor Freight model. Total cost: about $250.

It filters down to less than 1 micron, runs on 110v, and can be easily purchased/made. The separator is a Thien version.

6. Gary says:

“Of course this unit will run you around $1,300 retail, so unless you either really care about particle matter floating about your shop or are running that kind of volume through on a regular basis, this won’t be on the “to-do” list quite yet. Still looks cool, though.”

If you make fine furniture, you care. If you do your finish work in the same space as your machines, you care.

If your woodshop is in the basement of your house, you care.

If you care about your lungs and sinus cavity over the long hall, and you cut, joint, plane and sand hardwoods, you care.

I’m saving for the Oneida version.

If you make shelves out of 2by material once per year, you probably don’t care.

7. Josh says:

This looks to be the same as the Grizzly http://www.grizzly.com/products/1-1-2-HP-Cyclone-Dust-Collector-Polar-Bear-Series-/G0703P
    It just has a nicer base and a y connection for the port.

I think I could do without those things in exchange for saving 500 bucks.