Back in March, Ken over at Hi-Fructose wrote about Scott Hove and his unique creations. At first it’s a little difficult to understand what these pieces are made from. Once you do, the struggle is to understand why anyone would do this. About midway through looking at the steps involved it dawned on me that even though the final product is foam, wood, and plastic with colored sugar loaded on top of it the process really isn’t that different from normal sculpting or carving.

Scott uses a wood rasp to shave the foam and a Japanese wood carving knife to make the design in it. The whole piece is mounted on a board and then the less hardy materials start to come into play. He loads it up with all manner of the standard foo-foo stuff like chocolate paint, frosting, cherries and coyote teeth.

It’s really amazing how one little set of acrylic coyote teeth makes what would be a rather frilly sculpture a lot more interesting.

Many of the tools and even the process are largely the same as a guy carving a duck decoy in the shop. There’s shaping, shaving, and design in both, and from our standpoint, Scott’s work is just a different type of finish — with a giant Barbie head underneath. Nothing odd about that really.

Behind the Scenes with Scott Hove [Via Hi-Fructose]

6 Responses to Tools Are Universal

1. Gary Z says:

Wow! There is amazing talent using these tools. Goes to show there are still those who master hand tooling.

2. Blair says:

Lol, Sean, exactly what are your browsing habits?, wait….never mind. But I agree, a work of art, just not for my wall.

3. Punchful says:

Come on now! High Fructose is great – and usually better than Juxtapoz (worth checking out, though). These low-brow modern surreal sculpture types generally blow me away.

4. aj says:

wow! if i owned a bar i definitely would have to talk to this guy.

5. SuperJdynamite says:

“Many of the tools and even the process are largely the same as a guy carving a duck decoy in the shop.”

It dawned on me the other day that sticking to a single construction material is actually kind of odd. For example, why do woodworkers typically use nothing but wood for furniture construction? Why aren’t there more woodworkers who also incorporate metalwork into their pieces?

• BigEdJr says:

Good question. For me it comes down to money. I have invested so much money in woodworking tools that it has become difficult to justify metal working tools.

I would love to own a mill or metal working lathe, but I just cannot afford it and it would take a long time to become proficient.

I would love to leanr how to weld too, but that is another expense and learning curve.

Because this is just a hobby for me I have had to make decision to focus on woodworking stuff, even though I would love to learn metal working, blacksmithing, painting and a whole bunch of other talents and skills. But I gotta’ spend most of my time earning money as a computer guy instead of playing in the shop.