I love my son. Why he chose the single most expensive position in sports on the planet to specialize in, I will never know. If you asked him why he chose to be a hockey goalie he’d probably spout some drivel about the adrenaline rush he gets when facing a hard rubber puck coming at him at 120 mph. Personally I think anyone who wants to play hockey goalie is nuts.

In case you’ve never felt a hockey puck before, it’s not a sponge — 120-mph moving puck can do real damage if it hits you. That’s why having good functional equipment is paramount. Playing hockey in its own right is an expensive sport, but playing hockey goalie can bankrupt you if you let it. So when my son’s leg pad recently needed a repair I decided rather than dropping $1200 for new pads, I’d suck it up and do some sewing.

Of course I’m not referring to everyday sewing. I’m referring to industrial strength, leather-style sewing. I’m not an adept leatherworker, nor do I do this sort of thing frequently. So I manned up and after a trip to the nearest Jo-Ann’s and a quick pass through their furniture repair aisle, I emerged with a set of needles and a 24-yard bag of 1/16-inch polyester string.

Using the non-damaged leg pad as a template, I completed the repair within an hour. Only $10 later and some of my time saved $1200. Plus, my son is now adequately protected. Those are two trades worth making.

15 Responses to Basic Sports Equipment Repair

1. Angelbane says:

goalies leg pads are 1200 dollars a set? Holy total ripoff batman.

2. Mike47 says:

$50 for the pads, $1150 for the product liability insurance premiums.

3. Slow Joe Crow says:

I thought bicycle racing was spendy, but my kid’s new cyclocross bike, two new tires and most of his race entries would still leave some change out $1200. OTOH at higher levels of bike racing, one Zipp 404 carbon fiber wheel does run about $1200 so YMMV.

4. Mark says:

Nice job. My son outgrew his Velocity pads this year. Great gear. Around us (New Hampshire), there are a handful of old French cobblers who can fix and/or modify anything hockey related. My next hockey-related project will be some type of drying box – either a wooden cabinet or a huge plastic bin where we dump everything in and move air through holes with a fan. Between his goalie stuff, his ref stuff, and my coaching stuff, we have a huge pile on the floor of the garage right now.

5. Brau says:

No other sport comes close to hockey for expense, except maybe horse racing and Polo. It not just the cost of hockey equipment. It’s league fees, ice rink rentals for practice and games, travel expenses to play in other rinks in other cities, staying overnight if need be (billeting helps, but not always), buying warm lunches/drinks, etc.

As for sewing upholstery, I have used this tool many times to repair leather and vinyl stitching (Harbour Freight):

Much easier than using a needle & pliers.

• Scott Rupert says:

Thanks for the link! I’m sure I’ll figure out how to use it but it looks a little complicated to me rather than the simple needle.

• Shawn Alfaro says:

this hand stitcher is completely easy to use and will save your hands damage when handstitching leather and the like. I learned how to use one when i was in my twenties and i always have a few in my box for those pesky repairs. you can find downloadable instructions for it, now go forth and get one! you won’t regret it.

6. Mark Mel says:

Try ski racing for a spendy sport. ;)

7. Will Lawson says:

I have always bought last years model in order to save cost. As my son was a golie as well it was the only way to find gear. I found $1200 leg pads for $500 because the model was 2 years old. But I have always repaired the gear as neccesary to keep it going.

8. jeff_williams says:

What exactly was torn on the pads? Been a hockey guy my whole life. Can’t get enough. There’s nothing else like the feeling of skating.

• Scott Rupert says:

One of the inside knee pads tore away from the top of the pad. I had to re-sew it back on but needed to go through the pad in order to do it. Really a simple repair but needed cord and stronger/longer needles to pull it off.

9. Matt says:

Love the Velocity Pads, My Brother was a goalie in a pond hockey league in Evergreen, CO. But I’m former Navy diver, and recreational SCUBA, when you love it, can force a second loan on on your home. Good Luck to your “budding” Patrick Roy:)

• Scott Rupert says:

This is his third set of Vaughn pads. He’s also had an O’Brian set and a I-Tech set. He’s eying some RBK 7K stuff now I think when he gets his next referee check. Thanks for the luck! He’ll need it this year. He’ll be the starting High School goalie as a Freshman.

10. ryan says:

when my [ads broke my dad just brought them to a luggage repair shop. fixed then for like $15.