Flooring nailers are pretty much like other nailers/staplers, except that they add a funky head that helps you position nails quickly and easily. Of course, that means that the head has to be the right size for whatever flooring you’re going to install, or at least it has to be adjustable. That’s the Duo-Fast gun’s claim to fame: a foot that you can adjust — without tools — to accomodate any size flooring between 1/4″ and 5/8″.

Besides that, it’s also pretty light, weighing in at just over 4-1/2 pounds. It features a double-length magazine which holds up to 180 staples, too, as well as a reload indicator to let you know when it’s empty. As you can see in the picture (and Toolmongers will love, it seems) it ships in a blow-molded plastic case.

I’ve never actually installed wood flooring, but I hear that engineered wood is totally the way to go. Besides proving a lot more affordable and offering a much wider range of wood and finish options, you can also install it a whole bunch of different ways, from free-floating to nailed/stapled/glued. But having watched a friend install some similar flooring a few years ago, I can still attest that having the right tools for the job will speed it up significantly — as will a little research and experience.

How many of you have done flooring work? I’d love to know whether this gun really offers a significant advantage over others — or even over using a standard brad nailer. It sounds to me like it would, but what do you think? Is it worth $300?

SureShot 1848F [Duo-Fast]
Street Pricing [Google]

6 Responses to Duo-Fast’s Infinitely Adjustable Flooring Nailer

1. Bob A. says:

That sounds like a nice gun – I have a concrete nailer from DuoFast and it is quite solid. I have never put in flooring either but I surely will in the future. However I might go with real wood after reading a post from your compatriot in the blogging world:

2. Kris says:

Be nice to be able to rent this puppy when needed…..

3. Fong says:

I’ve put in about 3000 sq ft of flooring that includes click laminate and tongue and groove bamboo. All of it has either been floating or glue down. I’ve never nailed. This includes stairs, upper level OSB subfloor, lower level ply subfloor and concrete.

The only time I’ve ever nailed was bamboo on the ceilng It was very difficult to put the nailer head at the right angle so something like this is definitely a must for nailing in floor. Not only does it put the head at the right angle every time but also eliminates the back strain of using a standard nailer.

From my experience, if I ever do nail in a floor, it’s totally worth a $300 tool.

Nailing over gluing allows newbies to work at their own pace without worrying about glue drying out. You also avoid the mess of glue.

Nailing over floating avoids the annoying click lock systems that aren’t always easy and hammering sometimes chips the edges (even with a block).

4. Shopmonger says:

This gun looks surprisingly similar to the Campbell Hausfeld nailer……

ShopMonger……

5. fred says:

I bought my first flooring nailer in the mid 1970’s – It was a PortaNailer – from Rockwell Porter-Cable. It was the go-to tool at the time – and we still have a few of them sitting in their big steel cases. Rather than being pneumatic – the barbed nail was driven by a spring mechanism that was cocked and fired by a hammer blow. The company was spun off and is now part of Q.E.P. We still use a newer model the 410 that is adjustable to handle everything from about 3/8 inch to 1 inch thick flooring – doing angled and face nailing with the right shoe attached. This is the tool we pick for stair jobs for landings and the like – where a compressor and hose would be in the way and the added productivity of a pneumatic is not essential. We also use Porta pneumatics –including a T-Nailer for nailing wood to concrete. With some materials – these tools can split the flooring – so you need to move to either an 18ga nailer (we use a Porta 418). I also know that one of our tools take both T and L nails – but I’d have to ask one of my installers when he chooses which.
    Over the years we also bought Bostitch flooring nailers and staplers to handle laminated and engineered products – and if buying today might have chosen one of the adjustable shoe varieties like the Porta 461A. Of course one advantage of Bostitch – is that they seem to be available in the big box stores. Our most recent acquisition is a Crain 558 – a hammer-driven stapler that gets you close in to walls. – BTW – both Porta and Crain make “nail sets” to help drive proud staples or cleats. Staples are also the preferred option by some flooring manufacturers – but I myself am an old fogey who likes real and thick hardwood flooring that can be sanded and refinished and will last more than 1 lifetime
    None of this is to say anything bad about DuoFast (or their ITW sister brand Paslode). We have quite a number of tools from both – so I can say that this stapler is likely to be a very capable tool. BTW – Senco is another potential tool to look at – and their flooring nailer speeds things up by having something akin to bump-firing – with a work-contact trigger. I haven’t tried this but use a Senco SC1 tool and Senclamps which are handy in stair fabrication.

6. Tom Ware says:

This nailer does not solve the issue of nailing the last 3 -4 rows. If anything the plate added to the bottom of the nailer becomes one more obstacle to deal with.