What middle-aged guy or gal hasn’t peered in the Restoration Hardware window at the mall and not found a couple of cool-looking pieces of furniture that’d look great at home? But damn, those folks are proud of what they sell. Take, for example, this “furniture factory cart” described as “an early 1900s industrial original once used to transport furniture, fabric and supplies across the factory floor. Yeah, it’s pseudovintage cool. But $1095? Be serious.

Oh wait. You’ll need to click the link in the paragraph above to see the wallet-raping Restoration Hardware version. The one you see pictured above is the version TM reader StevenWP built at home for $80. Read on to find out how.

To build his own vintage-cool warehouse cart coffee table, Stephen built a wooden cart out of 1×6 pine boards, joining everything with pocket holes, staining it to his (and his wife’s) taste. He cut the wheel centeres from 3/16″ plate with his plasma cutter, then build his own end wheels out of some cannibalized casters and scrap steel. Then he blasted the parts, cleaned ‘em up, and installed.

Check out his blog post for details, lots more photos, and most of all, for a reminder as to why shops like Restoration Hardware should serve as inspiration for your own creations — not a place to empty your wallet.

Reproduction Antique Warehouse Cart [ShopNGarage]

12 Responses to Restoration Hardware at Walmart Prices

1. Steve says:

I wanted to take a minute and thank you for featuring my project on Toolmonger.

Thanks.

2. Mike47 says:

Steve: Yours looks much nicer than the big-bucks RH version. +1 to you sir.

3. Sparticus says:

@ Steve Well done.

4. tsander says:

Steve,
    I checked the blog entry.
    I’m just a guy who does little projects like bookshelves, mailboxes, birdhouses. Your reproduction cart is just awesome. I could probably tackle the woodworking part, but the metal work is simply beautiful. How much did the project end up costing. (I imagine a lot less than $1100 US.)
    Sander

5. cheerIO says:

@ Steve

Wicked Awesome!!!

What is the technique of attaching the bands to the outside of the discs for the main wheels?

6. Steve says:

Thank you for the compliments. I spent about $80 for the project. To make the side wheels, I spot welded one end of 1 1/4″ x 1/8″ steel to the edge of the center disc. Then I bent it around by hand, spot welding as I went. After banding the full circumference, I finish welded using the axle in a vice as a makeshift rotary table.

7. Steve says:

Seriously, ShopNGarage is a great site. I am putting it in the rotation. Great tips, a cool practical projects.

8. CJ says:

$80 one looks way better than the $1095.

9. Karl says:

Looks great!

If I wanted to make one though, I suppose I could make the large wheels from wood…the plasma cutters I’m finding are anywhere from $800 to $1,000. Which after the ~$80 in parts, makes it worth my time to buy from the shop.

10. What a great cart. I purchased an old carpet cleaning plant that was built in the Depression era and it had several of these carts which were used for moving rugs around the old plant. This brings back some fond memories. Thanks for the post.

11. Aaron says:

@Karl-
    No way man! You are totally missing the point-
    you just got to buy a plasma cutter! Don’t add that on to the price of the table, that’s a killer tool to have around.

• zoomzoomjeff says:

Exactly! Anytime you can finish the job for the same cost as the pros….AND end up with a new tool, that’s a bonus. Or as I like to call it, Justified!