Wacky, yes. But ratcheting tools always improve repetitive cranking tasks, so this strikes me as a kick-ass idea. Besides the ratcheting mechanism, this Apri opener also foregoes the whole clamping routine; you just push down on it with your body weight to latch it onto the can.

You can see more detail in the pictures (link below). Slide the lever under the inside edge of the can, then push down on the whole unit and crank away to open. It’s larger than it appears in the photo above — about 5-3/4″ long. And the metal cutting lever is magnetized, making it easier to position.

Now for the bad news: This is another vaporware product, this time from Quirky, a Kickstarter knockoff, which means that to get one you’d have to ante up, wait to see if the “inventor” can make good on the project, then either get one or (hopefully) get your money back.

Of course, you could always just go with Progressive International’s ratcheting can opener [What’s This?], currently available for $14 on Amazon and Prime shippable. That’s $5 less than the “presale” price of the Apri and a hell of a lot less waiting. The Progressive also features a back-and-forth lever motion as opposed to the Apri’s twist action. So the real question is: How important is the lever-less design to you?

Apri Ratcheting Can Opener [Quirky]

13 Responses to Wacky: A Ratcheting Can Opener

1. Matt says:

I actually like the design of the other one better…

2. george says:

you would think by now that we would have automatic laser style openers.

3. I’m not seeing the advantages. Press down with body weight? How could that possibly go wrong? I love the OXO good grips smooth edge opener… but a ratcheting noise might make it better.

4. Gil says:

Non of the designers noticed it has an “awkward” shape when stood on end?

5. Eric says:

Quirky actually was around long before Kickstarter.

It’s got a lot of products off the ground, however, not as well suited for the masses as Kickstarter is.

6. Jon says:

The Progressive can opener is a top-down blade, but this design apparently cuts from the side. The difference is a cleaner, safer cut.

Quirky is actually a pretty legit site. Not so much about the inventor making good as it is hitting enough pre-orders.

7. Shy Guy says:

Wait a second, the only thing that I’ve ever seen open up canned food is a P-38 :-)

8. Brau says:

I use a StarFrit *safety* (side cutting) opener and I have my doubts about this one.
    1. Often the can lids are heavily sealed and require being pried off, after having been cut. For this reason, StarFrit includes a jaw on the side to grab the lid and pull up. A magnet or hook just won’t suffice on a tough can.
    2. It’s called leverage: A small knob with a ratchet won’t save my wrists at all. (I don’t need a ratchet to enable turning my wrist back.) Bigger turning levers do, conversely, greatly reduce wrist strain during the hard part … cutting.

Quirky? yes!

9. Nick says:

If anybody has ever used a restaurant style can opener they will know that all others are inferior.

10. Fong says:

Been using a P-38 Standard Issue can opener my whole life. $1. Never needs sharpening and I’ll lose it before it wears out. http://www.amazon.com/U-S-Military-P-38-Can-Opener/dp/B004IAPV52

11. Slow Joe Crow says:

Since Tuna now comes in pop top cans, and I buy almost everything fresh or frozen I haven’t a opened a can with a can opener in months. On those rare occasions I do open a can an Oxo knockoof or Ekco Miracle Roll do the job just fine with a Swiss Army knife as a backup.
    I will file this as answering a question nobody asked, right alongside the kickstarter for a bicycle seat clamp with a bottle opener (it worked sideways so you risked a lot of spillage and existing headset spacer, dropouy and multitool openers did it better.