We get press releases all the time here at the Toolmonger office about this tool or that. At first glance there’s nothing special at all about this sliding/compund miter saw. Then we got a look at what’s missing — a cord. Yep, this is Makita’s 18v Li-Ion, 7 1/4” entry into the world of miter saws. We’ll give them this — whoever’s driving over at Makita R&D isn’t asleep at the wheel.

So the whole rig is just shy of 28 lbs. and clocks in with a 2,200 rpm motor that will slice up a 2×12 @ 90 degrees, or a 2×8 @ 45 degrees. That puts it squarely in the trim saw department and has the makings to push around saws twice its weight and size. The detents are located at 0, 12, 22.5, 30 and 45 degrees and there are rail extensions for a bit of extra support for long stock.

It all looks pretty slick. After all, Makita boasts there are over 40 tools in the LXT line, and this presumably will run off any of the charged up Li-ions you’ve got in the truck should you be a Makita person.

Our only question is: Will this be any good at the end of the day when you’ve blown through all your batteries using the other tools on the site, need more cutting before you pack in for the evening, and the miter saw (which runs down batteries a little faster than a drill or worklight) is feeling hungry?

Then comes the surprise — just a whisker over $700 is what the LXSL01 will set you back. Go ahead and pick up your jaw, its cool, I’ll wait… and now you understand that all that lightweight and Li-Ion will cost you as much as a proper contractor saw – in some cases more. We suppose only time will tell if this gets traction in the market, but still — it looks like a great idea.

LXSL01 18v Cordless Li-Ion Miter Saw [Makita]
Street Pricing [Google Products]

17 Responses to Preview: Makita’s Sliding Compound Miter Surprise

1. Jerry says:

I certainly agree that this is a great idea. I’d sure like to have one in my arsenal but at $700 I really couldn’t justify it for a tool that is obviously designed for something other than all, or eben half-day use.
    It will be interesting to not only see how this does in the market but also how fast other brands will get their versions on the market. That, logically, will bring the cost down.

2. gillsans says:

Would be great if it had a corded option…

3. PutnamEco says:

Re:
    gillsans says:
    Would be great if it had a corded option…
    —-
    But, they do…

the LS0714, and it is a sweet little saw too….

————-
    I’m waiting for the 36 volt 10″ saw. I need to be able to work with 4 x 4s out in the field.

4. Phil says:

This little pup is less than a hundred bucks cheaper than the Bosch GCM12SD 12″ slider I bought a few months ago (with a stand and 96 tooth blade included). However, I can see the love for this little saw. A trim guy can set up out of the way, in a house not even hooked up for electricity and do the better part of the trim out on a few battery packs worth of power. The 3.0AH packs do a lot of work from a full charge. And a hobbyist with a limited amount of space that has to do most of their cutting outside to keep the dust down in the house and who mostly works with small stock would find this saw perfect. Heck, if I didn’t have three miter saws already I would have considered this.

5. Fong says:

Though a great idea for some very specific things like cutting stuff in the middle of the field, I’d be hard pressed to justify the premium unless you were doing that specialized task all the time (in which case you’d have to bring a 6-pack of charged batteries with you). Even then, I’m not sure the market is big enough to make this a hit. Only time will tell for sure.

6. fred says:

This is what helps make the world go around. I never remember a job where our trim work did not have an outlet handy. framing fits that description too – even if it was via temporary jobsite power. But others may work out in situatione where a cordless stationary tool makes sense

7. Frank says:

I just picked up the Ryobi cordless miter saw for those pick up items on jobs. The saw works great and surprisingly enough with the new batteries I get quite a bit of use out of one battery. The saw cost me 119.00 at Home Depot. A good investment for the quick jobs

8. Toolfreak says:

With the Li-ion transition years ago, and higher end tools going to 24-48 volts and whatnot, cordless miter saws are long overdue.

$700 might be fine for a fully-featured saw, but there needs to be a more reasonable starting point.

If Ryobi’s got a $119 one, we have a winner. Hopefully Skil, Bosch, DeWalt and others will be along shortly.

9. ttamnoswad says:

Bosch tried a while ago it too in a 10 inch version.

with carrying case.

Bosch was smart and offered it as a tool only item. I hope Makita’s $700 price includes the requisite charger and Lith batteries or it will fail and then DeWalt will never make one and then I won’t be able get one in yellow.

10. junyo says:

Ryobi has one as well, and at a price that makes it reasonable for a second saw:

Almost picked up one at HD the other day, but I’m good with my 10″ and I don’t do enough to justify a dedicated trim only saw.

11. db11 says:

This isn’t Makita’s first cordless SCMS — I’ve had the previous generation 18v NiMh Makita 7 1/2″ for about 8-10 years. (they also made a 24v MakStar version for a while). I still use the saw regularly for trimming out projects, flooring, siding (it’s great on a scaffold platform) and punch list jobs.

I absolutely love my saw: with the compact size and at 25 lbs, you can carry it room to room — saving a ton of time to the saw — plus I find my finish work is more precise: For critical cuts I’m less likely to overcut trim to avoid another trip to the saw. ( time to cut/test-fit/recut is minimal with the saw right there)

The one downside of my version is the runtime with MiMh or NiCad batteries — which is significantly remedied with the LXT 3 amp hr li-ion. (Also, the slide capacity is only 7 1/2″ vs 12″ for the LXSL01)

Having recently picked up a 6 tool 18V LXT Li-Ion kit, I’m tempted to spring for it: in Canada it’s available tool-only (LXSL01Z) for $549. However, with my old one still in service, I think I’ll wait to see if they eventually bring it out in a 36V version.

Everyone who has ever used/borrowed my saw has raved about it — for anyone who has already bought into the 18v LXT, (esp. trim carpenters/flooring guys) this is a tough purchase to resist… believe me!

Doug

12. browndog77 says:

The Ryobi sounds like a great deal if you only want to cut molding or other small stock, but the sliding feature is what keeps a 7 1/2″ tool in the running for me. I used to have a Craftsman 7 1/2″ sliding miter saw that only cut by sliding, there was no verticle pivot at all. It would, however, miter a 1X8! It was handy, but the need for occasional compound cuts made it too scecific in use.

13. Jamie says:

I think this would be a good tool to have. Ya the price is a little steep but changing batteries versus dragging cords out and a generator has its benenfits.

14. Fabian says:

Yippee, another undersized and overpriced 18v ripoff item which doesn’t even make sense as a cordless! I can get a dozen better plug in versions from any other brand for a 10th of the price. The markup on this thing is outrageous.

The only Makita 18v product worse than this is Makita’s insanely overpriced pocket blower.

15. jmudler says:

Adding a cord wouldnt be that hard with a 120v – 18v 6amp power supply PS ($30) but carrying a box to house the PS would suck. I doubt the PS would fit into a dead battery case.

A better option would be a battery bank. Parallel 2/4 of the batteries for more capacity. Kinda like this,

And when unplugged it is a battery bank with a cord coming off of it to a battery case/plug. When plugged in via a switch go from (a) charging to (B) corded power using the same battery case/plug.

This way you can use a 18v battery or the “bank”

16. perry gower says:

I know this is an old post, but I was looking up reviews on the li-ion SCMS. I’m on my 2nd Ni-Mh SCMS and looking at finally doing the changeover to Lithium. If the new version is anywhere near as accurate as the old, I’ll be more than happy with it, especially with the increased capacity. I have a cart built on 8″ wheels to roll onto any sight with all my cordless tools set up, and extension wings pull out for the Miter saw, with a power strip on the front. when I’m on a job I only use 1 outlet, and being all cordless, the other trades are happy to make room for me(most of the time).

I do wish it ran at a higher RPM though, it would make for a cleaner cut with the limited blades available.

17. rob says:

you know makita makes a corded version of this as well
    I have used both and when I had to do the base board on my new house I almost bought the tool only cordless but
    for one use its hard to justify if I used a miter saw once a week even I would have bought it with out thinking twice
    it slides almost as smooth as the beloved bosch 12″ with out rails

but the corded 7.5 inch saw on a light weight dewalt stand and you have a machine you can frame with it uses the same blades as your skillsaw and well it will even cut floor joists seriously the corded one is about $400
    and worth every penny