About a week and change after posting our first article on the beginnings of our compressor test, we found two things. We’d missed a few brands that needed to go along with that test, and we’d have to wait a little to get them and put them through the same ringer the rest of the field endured. In that spirit, a Bostitch, a DeWalt, and a Porter Cable compressor joined the cast of competitors.

The Bostitch CAP2060P Pancake, DeWalt D55151 Twin and Poster Cable c2004 Pancake became the fashionably late newcomers to compressor hell. Yet again we broke out the testing gear and started with our basics chart.

Interestingly, the very models that readers pushed in email and blog comments for us to pit against the rest of the field fell squarely into the middle of the basic charts measurements range. It would prove to be an even more interesting outcome later on in the testing.

Next time in the compressor testing, finally, we can get on with the nitty gritty: features and performance of the now eight shop compressors.

d55151 4 Gallon Twin [DeWalt]
d55151 Street Pricing [Google Products]
CAP2060P 6g Pancake Compressor [Bostitch]
CAP2060P Street Pricing [Google Products]
c2004 Pancake Compressor [Porter Cable]
c2004 Street Pricing [Google Products]

17 Responses to TM Portable Shop Compressor Test: Part IA

1. KenB says:

Great info! Can you also include how much they weigh in your comparison?

2. assen says:

… and please don’t overlook the noise level…
    Thanks

3. rick says:

LOVE the comparison, this is some great toolmongering!

I would always add a $ value to them, that plays into most of our choices.

Any way to get a HF compressor into the mix since they are the bottom level that many of us use (myself included). Would like ot know how they stack up in your opinion.

4. fred says:

If you think to add another brand – you might think about my favorite Emglo

5. Sean O'Hara says:

Yes, in the next section weight, price and noise level will all be included.

6. Ben Granucci says:

“If you think to add another brand – you might think about my favorite Emglo

Well the DeWalt is an Emglo. I don’t know if they dumb down the rebranded stuff, though I would guess not seeing that they have put the Emglo name prominently on it.

7. fred says:

@Ben Granucci

Thanks for pointing that out. I knew that Stanley had acquired Emglo – and still see the brand being applied, independent of Dewalt, to compressors being sold at my local distributor – but did not know that they were merging it into the Dewalt brand. Now I wonder – who’s making what – and what the connection is with the other Stanley-B&D brand (Porter Cable) – although I see some connection thiere with DeVilibiss

8. Jon M says:

*wringer

9. cheerIO says:

I’m with rick on including the Harbor Freight. That would be interesting.

10. GLR says:

Tossing in my request for a Harbor Freight model, too. For the tightwads out there!

11. Noise, price, and weight are very important to me as well.

12. Ben says:

ya a harbor freight and a craftsman would be a nice add on.
    im willing to wait if you throw in some more.
    but seriously though, i have been needing my own air compressor, borrowing my dads rolair is annoying and freaking loud.
    i want this review to come out so bad.

13. Gough says:

@Ben, I think a problem with including Craftsman in the comparison is that they jump from manufacturer to manufacturer in search of the best price. I haven’t followed their power tools for a few years, but it used to be that their sidewinder saw would be made by Skil one year and B&D the next, for instance.

14. Pat says:

Harbor Freight has two shop compressor models – the 6 gal pancake oilless compressor model 67696 and a 4 gal twin tank oil-lubricated model 68064.

If you’re comparing oilless units to oil lube units you should note that.

15. Corey says:

Is the test only for models that you can get in the big-box stores, or Harbor Freight? Because my Thomas Ultra Air-Pac is the best portable compressor I’ve ever used. Quiet, oilless, 5 cfm, 4 gallon or so, runs easily on a 15A circuit and will start against a pressurized tank while on a 50-foot extension cord, 100% duty cycle. It’s probably twice as much as the next most expensive model here, and at 70 or 80 pounds stretches the limits of “portability”, but it’s a very nice machine.

It was also the only small unit that I did not see a single negative review of online (well, except regarding the price). If you use one of these day in and day out, it’s probably worth the money. I don’t — I’m just a sucker for good tools — but I do hook it to a bigger tank or disconnect for moving around, which saved me the cost of a second “big” compressor. Works great either way.

16. Ben says:

ya i really need this review to come out.
    im trying to finish up this door im working on and i need a compressor like now.

17. Sean O'Hara says:

@Ben actually it should be out early next week. :)