Made in the USA, the GyroJaw allows you to clamp angled pieces in straight vise jaws. Placed in the vise between the jaws and the work piece, it pivots on a rounded stud of solid steel while the 2″ by 3-1/4″ face lies flat against the angled stock.

The body of the GyroJaw is made from a combination of nylon and glass fiber, and a slot molded into the face allows you to hold round objects. You can purchase one GyroJaw from the corporate website for $20 shipped, or you can get two for $30 before shipping from Garrett Wade.

GyroJaw [Corporate Site]
GyroJaw [Garrett Wade]

Tagged with:

9 Responses to GyroJaw Axillary Vise Jaw

1. ambush says:

Cool, I should make me some of these.

2. Brau says:

$30 for plastic?!! But what if I want to use it to solder or weld something odd shaped?

3. fred says:

Clever Gimmick. Woouls probably work in a woodworking bench vise too but might not work in a machinist’s vise with jaws that have less bearing surface – unless you add some wood auxialliary jaws. Patternmaker’s and carving vises with swivelling jaws would be the other alternative – albeit more costly

4. Brock says:

Looks like a quick bandsaw project with some ash and some countersunk carriage bolts. $30 tool from $5 worth of scrap and hardware.

5. zoomzoomjeff says:

Seems like a genius idea. I don’t know how many times I’ve been using the vise with something not quite square and wished it would somehow work.

Also seems like this would help compensate for the slight play in a not-so-high-end vise like I have.

6. Joey Roberts says:

I’d guess that the combination of nylon and glass fiber would outlast a hunk of ash by quite a bit. Especially if you need to put any torque on the thing you are clamping.

7. bennyboyk9 says:

First, a pattern makers vise will only hold in the horizontal position, it can’t do vertical. Second, it can’t hold a compound angle, as a matter of fact, I don’t believe there’s a vise on the market that can hold a compound angled workpiece. Third, if you try to make your own gyrojaw, out of a piece of hardwood, you would have to leave the face rough, so it wouldn’t slip. This will leave a read on your workpiece. The gyrojaw will not leave a mark on even a completely finished workpiece. You only need one gyrojaw, but keep in mind, it makes a relatively inexpensive and unique gift. By the way, when gluing angled pieces together, with bar clamps, you can use a gyrojaw on one of jaws of each clamp.

8. Garrett Wade now offers the GyroJaw Vise Jaw Accessory as a single for $14.95 as well as a pair (now on sale for $27.95).

Invented by two woodworker brothers from Michigan, this amazing little tool really works. Be sure to check out the demonstration video.

All the best, Petra

9. davidinsarasota says:

I’m a woodcarver and invariably by the time I am two hours or so into a project it is nothing but weird compound angles and no longer clamps securely into a vice.

I got a Jawhorse earlier this year and it solved a lot of problems by allowing me to position the workpiece in the rubber jaws just so and clamp tight with my foot.

Carving is unique in that one is always trying to get a better angle on grain and pushing or malleting a gouge through hard wood creates tremendous torque, so I still find myself occasionally attempting to get a better grip or distribute the clamping force better with rags or wedges.

I am definitely going to pick one or two of these up when I make the long pilgrimage to Woodcraft next week to get a special order gouge. Who knows, it be as good a problem solver as the Jawhorse turned out to be.