I’m not sure how old the Surform Shaver is, but I can’t remember seeing one until recently. Maybe I’ve walked past it hundreds of times in the tool aisles but just noticed it now because I recently used a Surform file.

The Surform Shaver takes the screen-like Surform blade, cuts it down to 2-1/2″, and curves it. The resulting blade fits into a 7-1/4″ long polypropylene body that can fit into tight spaces. To shave right up to corners, Stanley exposes the teeth on one side of the blade.

Pricing for the Surform Shaver starts at $3 online. Replacement blades can cost as much as a new Surform Shaver or as little as $14 for 6.

Surform Shaver [Stanley]
Street Pricing [Google Products]
Via Amazon [What’s This?]

Tagged with:

15 Responses to Surform Shaver

1. fred says:

Mine is orange plastic and dates from at least the 1990′s if not earlier.

An interesting shop made tool can be made from a surform “bade” affixed to a hunk of 2 x 4 or 2 x 6 that has been cut on a bandsaw to form a fair curve.
    With a handle along the flat side and the surform balade along the curve – you can use as a ‘rough-cut” radius plane

2. Rob says:

I’ve had one since the early 80s, and I’m pretty sure they’ve been around even longer than that. It’s definitely one of those tools that I can’t think of any good uses for, but nevertheless wind up being indispensable.

3. Patrick says:

I hear two yeahs – sounds worth the cheap investment, but does anyone use them for a specific purpose? Look like they might rough out a good chair seat. I’ve got a few projects in the inbox that could use a scoop-like tool.

4. Phil says:

My grandpa used the long version for rough-shaping bondo before going to the in-line sander. In theater scenery construction we use them for distressing wood, carving and shaping foam, turning cellulose board into brichs, etc. Very useful, always have a few in the drawer.

5. DaveMath says:

I used to use them for shaping form, but since the microplanes came out mine is just collecting dust in the back of a box somewhere

6. Dave notMath says:

I’ve got one around here somewhere I’ve had for about 30 years.

7. kdp says:

I use the long version to level goats’ hooves after they’ve been trimmed. Will probably pick this one up to see how well it does the same task.

8. Eric Hart says:

I use one of these almost every time I sculpt Styrofoam. I also like them for rough cutting of Bondo (before it’s fully-cured) – I thought I was the only one!

9. PutnamEco says:

Patrick Says:
    but does anyone use them for a specific purpose?
    —–
    I bought mine for carving out high density foam hip pads for a kayak.

>>>
    Re:
    I’ve got a few projects in the inbox that could use a scoop-like tool
    —-
    You may want to check out a scorp or inshave, although I prefer a powered option like Arbortech’s carving wheels for a 4 1/2″ disc grinder.

10. Mike says:

I work at a product design firm and we use them all the time to shape polyurethane foam for making mockups / prototypes. It’s one of the fastest ways to shave the foam down by hand.

11. mlocer says:

I use my 6 inch surform to shape drywall in tight corners or odd/unsquare shaped rooms, I’ve also got a half inch cylinder surform ( like a file ) that has helped enlarge a fair few holes in aerated blocks and chipboard flooring for plumbing runs

12. Ross says:

I only use mine as a drywall rasp. I have also had some success using them to knock down texture and mud when patching drywall repairs into existing walls.

13. Coach James says:

I use one to shave down the calluses on my heels about once a month.

14. John says:

What a great tool. I have been using a forming tool for Styrofoam for the last 10 years, perhaps it is finally time to upgrade!

15. Keith says:

I’ve had at least one Surform tool around since I dabbled with Bondo on
    my first car while living in the Rust Belt as a teenager in late
    seventies.

While I find that they work okay for soft woods, curing fillers, plastics
    and foams, I find the blades don’t hold up well for harder materials such
    as hard woods, gypsum, etc.

So I was wondering if anyone had any experience with any of the Microplane
    tools (http://us.microplane.com/microplanewoodworking.aspx ). From
    what I have read of them, they’re sharper than Surform tools, and stay
    that way longer.

I’ve often wondered how they compare, so if anyone has any experience
    with the Microplane variety of these tools, please post your impressions.