Remember back when we told you about the Stanley Black & Decker merger, speculating that you’d see some of the underlying brands breaking out of their previous molds? It’s happening. Above you see a pretty straightforward folding retractable utility knife. But it’s part of DeWalt’s new hand tool line, which we understand will include all sorts of tools you probably never expected to see under the DeWalt brand. We’ll have more on those additions in coming weeks and months, but let’s start off with a look at this little utility knife.

First off, I know there are definitely two camps when it comes to folding utility knives: Some readers think they’re a great idea. Since they fold up, they’re easy to pocket, meaning you can actually carry one around with you. Others are scared to death of ‘em as it’s definitely easier to cut yourself with a folder. DeWalt hopes to cut the middle, giving you a ute knife that’s both folding and retractable.

We haven’t seen one of these in the Toolmonger offices yet, but from the pics we can see that when unfolded the DeWalt takes on a pretty good shape. The slight bend in the middle works wonders for making utility knives easier to control. And we can see the little notch on the bottom that allows access to the blade when retracted, allowing it to cut twine or string. The press release cites a quick-change blade mechanism (which we can’t see in the pics, but assume is pretty much like the Stanley and other utility knives) and mentions that the knife offers storage for three spare blades in the body.

We’ll definitely report back when we get the chance to try one out.

10 Responses to A DeWalt-Branded Folding Retractable Utility Knife

1. PutnamEco says:

The Stanley version of this knife has been out for a while, looks to me like they are trying to upsell the Stanley line by re-branding them, although this knife appears to be an upgraded version with over-molded rubber grips

2. Scott says:

I like folding utility knives, but I can no longer find them without the quick-change feature. Was it so difficult to flip open that top to switch the blade? The quick-change button has a nasty habit of positioning itself right under my finger and letting the blade slide out as I’m trying to use it.

3. Miss Frannie says:

I got one from Sears a few years ago on sale for 7.50… It has to be one of my favorite tools. I keep it in my pack and take it everywhere. All TM’s should own one!!!…

4. Dave says:

What Scott said, +1.

5. jeffo says:

I havent seen this one, I really like the milwaukee folding utility knife,
    it has alot of extra features, like the slit which you can cut stuff with when the knife is closed (recessed) and it has a wire cutter type opening at the base of the knife when open. And the belt clip on it is nice.

Lenox also has a nice folding utility knife that also has a bottle opener and screwdriver blade feature.

6. Adam says:

After trashing my latest el-cheapo pocketknife at work I decided to get one of these folding utility knives- we have the blades at work so I don’t have to pay for replacements, and it’s nice to have something I can really cut with without worrying about breaking myself, the knife, or what I’m cutting on.

While I was out at Lowes buying other things I picked up a Kobalt folding utility knife for about $8. I like it, but the two things that bother me are (as Scott says) the quick-change actuator being poorly placed, and the lack of a retracting mechanism for the blade. The only way I have to make this knife “safe” is to fold it- a motion absolutely requiring two hands. This doesn’t really bother me too much at work where the majority of knife-work is short-lived. But when I was doing electrical work it was a constant hassle as I intermittently used the knife over the course of an hour.

While I like the knife I have… I think I’ll be buying some regular utility knives also, for more “professional” applications.

7. Chuck Cage says:

Did you guys catch that this is both folding AND retracting? Seems like that addresses the “no way to safe it without folding it” concern. Thoughts?

8. Wade says:

Tried one of these a little while ago. It was branded Stanley. Didn’t think much of it though. Locking mechanism is tricky and grip has a big space where the knife folds in – makes it uncomfortable to hold. I’ve seen a good bit of the new DeWalt stuff and it looks to just be rebranded Stanley/Bostich. Not very exciting in my book.

9. 99octane says:

Any decent (and i stress: decent) folder shoul withstand years of abuse needing only an occasional cleanup and sharpening. I can’t see anything such a “cutter blade” knife can do that a real knife can do better and more reliably.
    When i was in the army I bought a simple folding knife, a lockback with 440C skinner blade and exotic wood grip panels. It cost me around 45$ equivalent. I used it for all sort of chores, among which felling a small tree for a flagpole (!!).
    It was used andabused to cut bailing wire, open cans, pry nails… Think of any kind of abuse a knife was NOT built for: it probably did it. And I used it for years as a civilian afterwards.
    As a writer for a local knife magazine, I did a piece about it, comparing the by then seven years old knife with a brand new one, same model, the manufacturer lent us. The knife was in so a good shape that, after the photo session, my editor-in-chief almost sent back by mistake my knife instead of the new one!
    So, if a knife let you down, you either bought a real el-cheapo POS, or you bought an undersized one. If you are thinking about getting a cutter-blade knife, I really recommend you think again and get a good REAL knife instead. You can buy very good stuff for little money, provided you don’t try to go really cheap. And, even then, a 5$ Opinel can do better than a cutter-knife…

10. 99octane says:

Sorry for typoes and not so good grammar. Writing on the fly from a smartphone. ;)