This cast-iron chisel holder from Veritas converts a 1″ beveled edge chisel into a rabbet or shoulder plane. The 1-3/8″ wide by 5-1/2″ long by 2-1/2″ high chisel holder grips the chisel at a 45ยบ angle with a solid brass thumbscrew. Once the chisel is properly seated, you can use it to clean up rabbets, tenons, and hinge recesses or cut 1″ wide grooves and dadoes up to 3/8″ deep.

Made in Canada, the Veritas chisel plane will run you $50 before shipping.

Chisel Plane [Lee Valley]

Tagged with:

8 Responses to Turn Your Chisel Into A Plane

1. Roscoe says:

For the same price of an average quality shoulder plane, you can have a (below?) average quality shoulder plane that is hard to adjust? My toolbox is small, but not that small.

2. Ben says:

This could be useful. Maybe not precise but I bet it would be nice to have in a pinch.

3. Angelbane says:

I have to sya it is a great Idea but not at a 50 price tag… more like a 15$ tag

I mean it is just cast iron.

4. Mike says:

Their rabbet planes are normally $69. Seem like you get alot more for $19. For $15 maybe, but for $50 I’ll just buy the real thing for a few bucks more.

5. Veritas has some ingenious little tools in their arsenal but this is a solution to a problem that doesn’t exist.
    I wonder if the surface this plane is able to produce,even with a freshly honed chisel that is perfectly bedded down,is any good?
    For the same price it is possible to pick up a vintage Record 073,that properly tuned will perform almost,if not as well as the Veritas Large Shoulder.

6. NickC says:

That really seems like a shadow of a good idea. It would have been interesting if you could just attach a small mount semi permanently to the chisel then just quickly slip it into/out of the plane as needed with a quick release. They could even design the plane part of it to double as a small hammer or rap to use with the chisel. But then again I’m not sure of the application/situation that would require switching between a plane and chisel but without a hammer…

7. Bob says:

I do more speculation than actual woodwork. Somewhere I’ve got a Fine Woodworking collection that shows some exquisite shop built planes. At one point I got it into my head to make something like this Veritas tool. In my mind there would be wood blocks, the width of the chisel, ahead of and behind the chisel setting the blade angle and the mouth opening. Two metal plates on either side would hold the blocks together. Brass fasteners countersunk in to brass plates if you’re angling for some old world class, steel if you aren’t. T-nut or threaded inserts in the forward block would take a screw/bolt that would fix the position of the chisel.

So… go on… somebody go make one

8. Shannon Love says:

This might seem like a superfluous tool but its utility comes from the relative ease of sharpening the chisel versus sharpening a plane blade. Plane sharpening can be an arcane art, especially for novice woodworkers.

This tool lets you have several sharp chisels that you can swap out as you go.