I make it a habit not to hate readers. They’re our friends and often give us good tips when we get stuck with an issue. It’s a trend I have kept unchallenged — until now. Reader james_brauer designed and built this amazing nightstand from scratch and I am now required, almost by law, to hate him.

Nightstand I made for my four year old daughter. I winched the 1+ ton logs wood for this project off my mountain homesite in NC, to the sawmill, home to CO to dry for use in this project. Red oak, maple, maple plywood with a lacquer and poly finish.

Mr. Brauer not only built this exquisite piece of furniture with his bare hands. He did it for his small daughter who most likely asked for “Dr. Seuss” furniture, then daddy went out and carved it from the land. The drawers are original and the side pieces look like they were bent, not cut into that shape. To add insult to injury we bet the kid is adorable too.

So to you reader james_brauer, in all seriousness, we tip our hat and raise our beer to your beautiful work. The wood is shiny and grain is perfect, and I don’t want to think about how long it took to figure out those drawers. Well done sir: May your young’n enjoy it for many years to come.

Now if you’ll excuse me, I have to go out to the shop and finish a boring-ass table I’m making. (grumble) Dr. Seuss (grumble) funky drawers (grumble) beautiful (grumble).

Toolmonger Photo Pool [Flickr]

16 Responses to From The Flickr Pool: Now That’s A Nightstand

1. Toolhearty says:

Let’s get him!

(and that Txinkman guy with the restored hardwood toolboxes… He’s next.)

Just kidding, beautiful work, and clever.

2. Steve says:

Wow, my hat is off to you!

3. Big Dave says:

Wow! I bet he could do even better if he’d sober up :)

4. Harry says:

Excellant job ! I haven’t read Dr. Seuss for a while, but it a wee bit, sort of reminded me of a Salvador Dali painting. Can anyone recall it ?

5. Gary says:

Reminds me of that article in FWW awhile back about the guy who makes whimsical furniture.

Excellent work, James. Plain ol’ furniture can be challenging enough.

Now, if he dovetailed those drawers, I am gonna have to hate him.

6. Kurt says:

Harry, I think you are thinking about the Persistence of Memory by Dali:

7. rg says:

Don’t hate the player, baby — hate the game.

If it’s any consolation, now he’s going to have to make all the other furniture in the same style.

As a side-note, it reminds me of some my attempts at “fine woodworking”. Except mine end up like that not on purpose. Now I can claim this is what I’m shooting for when the fence on my table saw slips.

But seriously, that is a exquisite workmanship and very imaginative!

8. dar says:

what bugs me is that the Time/no. of brewskis
    that these slendid projects entail is never stated…it would give some of us a yardstick of hope/despair…

9. Sean OHara says:

@dar

You know, I should start putting that in the breakdowns of all my projects. # of beers and time factor. That’s a pretty sweet idea.

10. Kurt says:

The side railings, at least, were cut and not bent. The grain is straight all the way down; it doesn’t follow the curves.

It’s harder to tell with the side walls, but bending a wide, thin piece would be easier than cutting it that way, so they probably were bent.

11. Paul says:

very nice work, and looking at the pic, a good deal about photography (or is smart enough to find someone who does) to show off his work.

Now I know what I can make with all the warped wood they sell at the big box renovation centres!

12. Michael Belanger says:

Well, Frank Lloyd Wright designed furniture for his homes, now Frank Gehry can get furniture for his!

13. Shalin says:

Looks really cool! Kinda reminds me of another furniture maker in the DFW area (http://www.lewebb.com/)…

14. Miss Frannie says:

That guy is a real craftsman. I reckon he used a bandsaw for them thar cuts. I bought me a bandsaw from grizzly but it still in the box. After seeing this, I may take it out of the box and set it up. Thanks for the photo!

15. james brauer says:

Thanks for the complements fellas, and no I wasn’t all likkered up when I made it. I’ve done steam bending, and bent wood laminations, but these were just cut from a wide blank. I actually bought some bending plywood for this project, but just wound up sliding a thin piece of maple plywood into curved slots for the sides. And yeah, preventing interference in the drawers was really tricky. I made full sized templates with a piece of poster board in the opening, and drew curves for drawer fronts that would fit.

16. jacob says:

I love it and I would like to have the measurements….