With a new truck parked outside the shop, I took the opportunity to reorganize my vehicle’s toolkit. As I shuffled things about, I found I needed different types of storage for the truck, so I began repacking with newfound efficiency. What you are looking at here (above) is the most useful thing the Craftsman Li-Ion bag has done since we destroyed all the tools that went in it a while back.

Another repurposed item was this sweet DeWalt magnetic storage box, which I found will hold an entire 40-piece socket set and still clip shut with no issue.

Both items, along with a DeWalt softside toolbag, packed all the tools and cables I needed to stow behind the seats — and they kept the back area, which had limited space to begin with, looking sharp and organized. A large bonus comes with the knowledge that I don’t have to hear crap rattle and clink every time the truck rolls over a bump — complete win.

DeWalt Tools [Website]
Magnetic Storage Box
[Google Products]

10 Responses to Repacking The Truck Toolkit

1. Eric R says:

Don’t get too organized. You’ll be gin to worry us! :)

2. Dave says:

Check Big Lots for tool bags. I found a bunch of medium (16″) sized Stanley tool bags in there for $5 each! I bought five without a thought. They are quite tough and hold just about anything. Total win.

Here is a pic of them.

I find a ton if stuff at Big Lots for ridiculous prices. Another hint, buy your home theater cables there. I just told Best Buy to fuck off and bought 3 15′ Belkin cat 5e ethernet cables for $3 each. Also HDMI cables and coax can be had there in brand names for WAY cheap.

3. DoItRite says:

Don’t you think that the rattle of the sockets within the case will start to drive you crazy? I start to get paranoid whenever I hear a new rattle in one of my vehicles and can’t rest until it is found!

4. cheerIO says:

I’m with DoItRite on stopping the sockets from rattling around. I carry them on a clippable holder like this one:

And don’t forget some kind of tire repair option. I carry a manual T-handled plug set in the car and a NAPA plug gun in the old land Rover. If for some reason you can’t change to a spare, it will save you a lot of head ache without a lot of added weight.

5. george says:

i like bags, bags are yer friend !

6. Brau says:

“an entire 40-piece socket set”

Think about what you are likely to need roadside, just to get you to a service station or home.

I once carried an entire 40 piece set but no more. Most automotive bolts are common sizes 8, 10, 12, 15, 17, 19, 21mm. There’s rarely cause for anything else roadside. Even a spark plug socket seems pointless today unless your car is in really bad shape and you keep extras on hand.

Today I carry jumper cables, a long bit multi-driver (Pic-Quik), normal pliers, needlenose, drop-jaw pliers, assorted hose clamps, and an old ratchet with extension and a swivel, plus some loose Craftsman (good but inexpensive) sockets and a bit of bailing wire (can make a hose clamp or temporary exhaust hanger with it). Also extra oil, washer fluid, antifreeze, hand cleaner and a roll of rags. These are the things I have found I’ve actually needed over the years.

Oh yeah, I’m with the other guys, I wrap my sockets in a rag and stuff it all in a bag. Can’t stand rattling.

7. rg says:

If you want more useable space in the back of your Ranger, get rid of one or both jump seats, and the seatbelt buckle attached to the back door. They’re completly useless, other than for midgets. I can’t see it as being a particularly safe place for kids to ride, either. It gives a lot more useful space.

I took the driver side one out on my Mazda and bolted in a little shelf for a powered subwoofer and a fire extinguisher. There’s space to slide in a socket set underneath. Some people have made nice cargo shelves from plywood, covered in carpet, that go across the entire “backseat” area.

8. Frank says:

The best thing I’ve found is a flashlight, some Power Flares (with old fashion flares as back up) AAA card and a mobile phone. Now for the off road Baja that’s a different story…

9. Miss Frannie says:

I do carry some tools. But in the twenty years i’ve owned my truck I was lucky to have only one emergency and the three A’s and my cell had me covered.

10. Mac says:

I have found I use the tools to help others more often than anything else.

Ditto on the flashlight. And a bottle opener. :-)