The old furnace-filter-in-front-of-a-box-fan trick is well known, but it has its downsides. If you don’t attach the filter to the box, it’ll fall off when you shut off the fan. Also, air leaks around the filter, making it less effective. You can build your own shroud to fix these problems, but if you don’t have the time you can buy the Filter-A-Fan.

The Filter-A-Fan fits LASKO model #3733 and GALAXY model #4733 fans. Just remove the screws that hold on the guard and use those screws to hold the Filter-A-Fan in place. The Filter-A-Fan shroud runs $35 by itself, or you can buy it with a fan for $60 before shipping. You’ll have to supply your own 16″ x 16″ filter.

To be honest, I’m not really sure who the market of this product is. A business or professional woodworker will just drop the money on a proper air cleaner, and a DIYer who might not want to spend a lot of money is more likely to make his own. Maybe if they lowered the price to $10 or $15 it would be more attractive.

Filter-A-Fan [Corporate Website]
Filter-A-Fan [Eagle America]

Tagged with:

19 Responses to Filter-A-Fan: Box Fan Dust Filter

1. Toolhearty says:

Maybe if they lowered the price to $10 or $15 it would be more attractive.

Seconded. …and “available at your local ‘big box’ store” wouldn’t hurt, either.

2. Bajajoaquin says:

Two words:

Duct tape

3. Roscoe says:

Is that guys using a Festool cordless drill with a wired brush on that board???

I’d say they nailed their target market! Whatever that guy is doing, he’d be the one to buy the filter holder gizmo.

4. Joe "the Pro" Sainz says:

@Roscoe: I couldn’t have said it better myself. Although to my eyes it looks like thats a small hook and loop pad with paper on it.

5. Mike says:

@Roscoe ha, thanks for voicing what was going on in my head. “What the heck is he doing to that board?”

6. Dave says:

Why, he’s making dust! Duh.

7. rg says:

Um, I think I’m not going to pay $60 for a piece of vacuum-formed sheet of plastic.

I don’t know about everyone else, but if I’ve got the spare time to grind random divots into pieces of lumber with an expensive looking cordless tool, I’ve got the spare time to use some tape and scrap cardboard to stick a furnace filter onto a box fan.

8. ted says:

i side with the duct tape guys. and yes, maybe i’d spring for it if it had a realistic price tag. 15 bucks is do-able. cut the price in half and they’d probably sell twice as many units. it shouldn’t cost more than the fan – seriously…

9. Keith says:

Hmmm, I think that I could buy some aluminum ‘C’ channel, make a three
    sided filter frame (open at the top), and attach it to the fan, still
    for less than $35, and I think that aluminum would hold up longer than
    blow-molded plastic (although a bit pricier than duct tape).

10. Bill says:

I should design a chainsaw with flesh-sensing technology and an integrated Quik-Clot dispenser.

11. Mike says:

20×20 filter and a cord bungee….DONE!

12. zoomzoomjeff says:

“Yet another ingenious product designed for the do-it-yourselfer who finds himself unencumbered with do-it-yourself skills.”

LOL!!!

13. browndog77 says:

You guys are cruel!! Funny, but cruel, LOL! I’m w/ you Mike. I have a package of light duty bungees that are perfect for this kind of thing. I save my Duck tape for the ducks. You never know when a wing injury is gonna’ happen!

14. Sharon says:

I use a bungie cord to hold the filter to my fan.

15. Liz V says:

@zoomzoomjeff. I found Bills comment pretty funny myself. But the flesh-sensing Quik-clot chainsaw I’d like to see!

16. Brau says:

3-speed Box fan √
    Window √
    wood template to seal between fan & window√

Works great for sanding, painting, cleaning solvent use while indoors.

Filter ?? Not needed.

17. Moogbass says:

No one has mentioned that today’s Chinese (crap!) box fans are really poor at moving any air. Mostly they just vibrate, make noise, and consume electricity. Get a vintage box fan from Ebay or a yard sale, the ones with metal blades and real motors, then use the furnace filter trick.

18. robert s says:

actually dont even need tape or bungee cords, so long as the fan is running a filter will stay put.

19. Gabb says:

Contrary to the article, a 20 x 20 filter does indeed cover the entire fan-shroud, and needs no additional “plastic-Turbo-Corners”