Most router tables allow you to capture dust and chips from the top of the table through a collection port on the fence, but this is only effective for some operations. Other operations require dust collection from the bottom of the table. There are a few different methods to do this with varying levels of effectiveness; usually they involve encasing the router in some sort of vacuum box.

Keen Products’ dust collection system collects dust right from the point of entry on the bottom of the table, leaving your router accessible and open so it won’t overheat. It also removes most of the dust before it has a chance to fall into the router motor, hopefully prolonging its life.

The dust collection system hooks up to a 2-1/2″ hose and splits the suction between a top-mounted port and the dust cup which surrounds the lower part of the bit and collet. I’d be careful purchasing this if you use a router lift though — one of the reviewers on Woodcraft’s site said this interfered with his router lift so he could not change bits from the top side of the router table.

The Dust Collection Kit comes with the rubber boot, hose, splitter, and several adapters to fit the dust collection port on your fence. The best price I could find for this dust collection kit was $35, plus $8 shipping from Infinity Tools.

Dust Collector Kit [Keep Products]
Dust Collector Kit [WoodCraft]
Dust Collector Kit [Infinity Tools]
Via Amazon [What’s This?]

7 Responses to Router Table Dust Collection Solution

1. John says:

I actually need one of these, but for $35 I’ll pass.

2. Old Coot says:

Clever, but kind of pricey for a bunch of plastic stuff. I’ll wait for the discounts to start.

3. Melvin says:

This is actually a problem. If you’ve got the hundreds of CFM necessary for dust collection flowing out of your enclosed box your router is getting access to plenty of room temperature air for cooling

4. Melvin says:

Ugh! This isn’t actually a problem.

5. Liz says:

I’m happy they are improving the problem of dust collection. I’ve got asthma, and anything that cuts down on dust opens up opportunity for me.

6. @Melvin:

You are right about the dust collection system moving enough CFM through the cabinet to keep the router cool, I wasn’t thinking when I wrote that.

I do think pulling dust through the router motor probably isn’t very good for it in the long run though. You have to think that the manufacturers do try to mitigate the problem by using sealed bearings and protecting the brushes and commutator, but dust is still pretty pervasive.

I think this is designed more for open router tables without a lift — ones where you have to remove the router to change the bit. I think it would work well in those cases, but I still have a few issues with it. First it is too expensive for what you get, second they use a T rather than a Y which decreases the efficiency. They would also be able to get by with a shorter upper hose and less of a bend, further increasing efficiency.

7. fred says:

@ Benjamin Johnson

In our cabinet shop – we have a pair of old Powermatic shapers – but in my home shop I mounted a Bosch 1617EVS router in a shop made table – that was cobbled together with a commercial table top from Woodhaven with a shop-made enclosed cabinet. I was concerned aout the router – since I had seen several posts on the Internet and on Amazon – that the 1617′s switch was prone to failure from dust. I took some pains to hose-up the router table to my shop dust collection system – but it is far from a 100% effective deal. Most times – after use I blow out dust from my tools with shop air – and the router table blow-outs are a dusty affair. After several years of moderate use, however, the router shows no ill effects – but I’m keeping my fingers crossed just the same.