From people who brought you the Tri-Vise comes the Lumber Lok, which securely supports most conventional lumber sizes above the ground so you can cut, notch, drill, or perform other operations.

Made in the USA by Tri-Vise Industries, the steel Lumber Lok weighs 4.3 lbs. They powder coat it to keep it from corroding and print a 12″ ruler on one edge for convenience. The tool has openings for 1x4s, 1x6s, 2×2, 2x4s, 2x6s, 2x8s, 2x10s, 2x12s, and 4x8s. You can pick up the Lumber Lok for $30 shipped.

Although I have no experience with their products, I do suggest Tri-Vise Industries fire the person in charge of building an all-flash site that automatically plays sound effects when you open it. It was an annoying practice eight years ago, and is no less so today. Also, it’s just dense not to realize you’re thumbing your nose at mobile users.

Lumber Lok [Tri-Vise Industries]
Street Pricing [Google Products]
Via Amazon [What’s This?]

Tagged with:

17 Responses to Provide Lumber Support

1. Jerry says:

Rick’s got it. Same deal here in Salem OR at Lowes. Maybe with this I could stop cutting and drilling rocks and dirt…

2. JeffD says:

I used one building a picket fence at Mom’s. Works as advertised and keeps the saw out of the dirt.

3. fred says:

We bought its sister product at Lowes – a triangular plate for supporting pipe – not as sturdy or useful as out tripod vises – but doesn’t take up much room in the truck.

4. Mrten says:

Won’t that nick the wood?

5. Artie says:

Looks good to me, I’d pick one up. Too bad that it doesn’t have a slot for a 4 X4.

6. I think one wouldn’t need all the different sizes of slots. One or two different sizes of slots would probably be sufficient for most common materials. That being said, I think it would be pretty easy to weld together some 1/2″ square steel tubing in a shape that would perform similarly.

Also, if it’s something you might need to use a lot, you might as well make it taller, so you don’t have to kneel to use it.

Or, if you don’t mind spending the money, and you don’t have the time, you could just be happy to buy one, which is what I’ll probably do.

7. A.Crush says:

These, and the triangle pipe version, were a lot pricier than $20-30 when I first saw them. Genius marketing if you can get people to pay through the nose for a piece of metal with holes cut out in it I guess.

Seems fairly useful for cutting non-cosmetic structural pieces and the like, and even though it’s just a hunk of thick metal, unless you have a plasma cutter or a really good jigsaw and a lot of metal cutting blades and time on your hands. Could be welded up from some flat plate pieces too.

I’ll probably wait it out and snag them when they go on clearance.

8. Cameron Watt says:

I have a virtually free, limitless supply of tools to keep my saw blade out of the dirt: Offcuts.

I had some Japanese saw horses but they disappeared in a fire.

9. Brau says:

There’s just so many other ways to achieve this with stuff already around:
    - a toolbox makes a nifty lift in a pinch
    - another piece of wood (I usually have more than one on any given site)
    - a wire roll, brick, flat rock, box of nails, etc
    Getting really desperate …
    - a spare tire, a curb, stuff it through the truck and out the other side ….

Personally I feel if someone is getting to the job site without figuring out how they’re going to cut the wood safely, they haven’t planned it out well enough before they left home.

10. DeadGuy says:

Things like this always strike me as the Big Box version of As-Seen-On-TV. In 1983, I built one of these in High School metal shop. It is an H-frame piece of metal with a 16-inch metal ruler spot welded to the upper cross-beam. Mine isn’t as thin as these, but the cross-beams lay flat so as not to pinch the wood.

11. Gil says:

I just got the pun in the tittle…

12. kyle says:

I really like the idea of these, but i think $20 is way too much for a plate with holes in it.
    $10 each and I would but both

13. Chris says:

Isn’t that what the top of your boot is for? Seems like a gimmicky waste of money.

14. craig says:

i’ve used the tri-vise and it really has worked out great when i’m away from the truck.

artie…i cut a square hole in some scrap plywood and used it for cutting posts. if use two it turns a 4×4 into a fair bench.

15. Andy says:

+1 on firing the web designer for an all-flash site. boo.