If you own a Craftsman, Delta Shopmaster, DeVilbiss, Husky, or Porter-Cable air compressor, heads up: DeVilbiss (the actual manufacturer of these particular models) announced the recall of about 460,000 compressors due to an overheating problem that can pose a fire hazard.

The picture above (courtesy of the CPSC) shows where to check model number information, but you’ll want to visit the CPSC website (link below) to check the extensive list of affected models, which we sold at “home centers nationwide from January 2003 through December 2004.” Affected Craftsman models were sold at Sears (of course) from September 2000 through December 2005.

If you own an affected model, the CPSC says you “should immediately stop using and unplug the recalled compressors and call DeVilbiss or Sears for a free inspection and repair.”

DeVilbiss Recalls Air Compressors Due To Fire Hazard [CPSC]

9 Responses to Air Compressors Recalled Due To Fire Hazard

1. zoomzoomjeff says:

I’ve got one of those horizontal Crapsman ones. I always thought it got smokin’ hot. Going outside to see which model number I have.

2. zoomzoomjeff says:

Mine’s not included. Still think it runs hot. Eh well.

3. Greg says:

So in addition to these things ruining your hearing and testing your sanity with their dB level, they will also burn your house down?

4. Cameron Watt says:

Heat and compressing air go hand-in-hand….

They have their uses and they’re little marvels in their own right but our mistake is expecting too much from them; I would never compare it to the 5hp two stage DeVilbiss behind the shop or my small engine driven model.

I have a little oil-less compressor that’s hot, noisy, and on a per-standard cubic foot basis the most expensive way I have to compress air but on the other hand the buy-in price is pretty low, needs no oil and therefor puts no oil into the air it compresses, and can be lugged into homes while my engine driven one roars away at the curb.

By the way: If you buy a small oil-less compressor read the manual; they often have run-in procedures that are very important to follow.

5. TL says:

This would have been nice to know three years ago when my Husky (the EXACT one in the picture) decided to burn up it’s motor after a couple years of minimal homeowner level usage. A short in the motor melted the windings, some plastic and produced a LOT of smoke. Had I gone in the house while it refilled (often the case because of how loud it was) it could have easily started a fire.

6. zoomzoomjeff says:

“Manufacturing defects aside, we sure love to badmouth those little oil-less compressors, don’t we?”

Yeah, basically I guess that’s what I’m doing. I’ve got a 80 gal DeVilbiss in the garage waiting until I get 240 power out there, and a two stage V-4 Emglo that’s engine driven, that realistically is only for giant jobs. The day in day out stuff is made for the oilless like filling up a lawn mower tire. It’s easy to rail on it because it takes forever to recharge, but truthfully its always there with the flip of a switch.

…..waiting for 240 service to the garage though.

7. Cameron says:

I have a recalled Husky.
    The main problem with the recall is that these things aren’t something you can just toss in a box and mail in. The nearest repair center is about an hour drive, and they’re not open late or on weekends. How the hell am I supposed to get it to them?

8. I have this model and all the numbers match the recall list. I have unplugged it. Need to repair as soon as possible. I’ve always thought I was too loud and seem to be much hotter than the compressors that I’ve had in the past. So help me to get the parts I need to make these repairs. Thanks John r Autry sr 10-14-12

9. Rajii says:

I have the stand up compressor but I can’t seem to get the repair kit as promised. What I have now is a large useless metal tank taking up space in my garage. Have become very unhappy with Sears!