I had the pleasure of stomping around the neighborhood yesterday in ten-degree weather, -4 with wind chill. To put it rather mildly it’s not fun. However, flannel-lined jeans I got for x-mas a few years ago lessened the shock quite a bit.

I donned no less than two pairs of socks, my trusty boots, a long-sleeved shirt, a sweatshirt jacket, shop coat, wooly hat, fur-lined gloves and of course, these flannel jeans. Surprisingly enough my legs were fine. Eventually the wife’s car was chipped out, the neighbor’s vehicle jumped out of its winter slumber, and “Ebay,” the dog from down the street, was found rooting about in the field across the way.

After spending a little over an hour and a half outside taking care of icy business, the return to heated atmosphere was a welcome one. I attribute walking in with actual legs instead of ice stalks to the pants. For around $30, if you need some cold weather pants, I highly recommend them.

Though this does make me curious — what do you folks up north normally wear on your lower half for cold-weather excursions?

Street Pricing Flannel Lined Jeans [Google Products]

21 Responses to Cold Weather Jeans

1. Joe says:

I have lived in NY/MA my whole life I have a pair of fleece lined jeans that I use for such occasions and when I was walking a half mile to class my last year of college I would either wear flannel pajama pants under my jeans, or some proper thermals… the fleece lined jeans are 10x better. Though I am sure they pale in comparison to lined Carhartt coveralls.

Being an office minion I don’t do much outside other than shovel my driveway and clean off cars during the winter, but when I am doing that my gear consists of an LLBean jacket, fleece headband, and some insulated work gloves (easier to work in than snow gloves). Since most of my time is spent shoveling, I usually end up sweating, and only wearing the line of my jacket (lighter, easier to move).
    When on mountains (read: snowboarding) I upgrade to a hat, the full jacket, and some good winter gloves (but I really should get some mittens!).

2. jeff_williams says:

Usually just my firehose work pants. If it’s really cold or if I go out snowmobiling I’ll put my long johns on, a fleece pant, and then snowmobiling pants or the coveralls. I usually have either my snowboots or hockey skates on for footwear. I’m from MN though so I spend in inordinate amount of time out on the rink. I think lined pants would just make me sweat.

3. Woodrow5000 says:

Growing up in Nova Scotia, Canada I know winter!
    I’ve always had what we call ski pants. Rugged nylon/water repellent material on the outside and nice fleece lining on the inside. Most of the pairs I’ve owned were meant for snowboarding, and cut off at the waist, but there are also overall type ones. Coupled with “long johns” – thermal long underwear, I’ve never been cold.

4. hmbemis says:

I live in MA… I wear the same pants, socks, boots, etc that I wear any other day… even when it’s single digits or lower. Doubling up, etc, seems to not be worth it for me. Though I do layer on the upper body and having the last layer (and gloves) be water proof is absolutely key when there’s any snow or water involved.

It might seem the opposite of what would be true, but I find that wearing my loosest fitting pants (esp. loose around the legs) tends to help keep me feeling warmer.

…and of course, there’s always the inevitable coming in from the cold and realizing you’ve frozen your junk to about 1/4th or less normal size :-D

5. A.Crush says:

The flannel lined stuff seems nice, but WHY do they HAVE to make it in stupid, stupid plaid patterns? On top of that, most of the cheap lining in anything but quality brand name workwear is just useless filler.

I much prefer Polartec thermal leggings/underwear with regular jeans, since it’s a removable layer…good for being able to remove the undies in the afternoon if it warms up, and just wear the jeans.

When it’s REALLY cold, I go with the black “arctic” lining, in both the pants and the jacket.

6. DeadGuy says:

My wife’s left over knee-high panty-hose. Three pair of those under wool socks and your feet will be very toasty. For my legs, I wear layers, depending on what I’m doing – long johns or spandex, fleece lined jeans and then possibly snow pants or sweat pants. One my torso, lots for layers that can be taken off if I warm up and added back on later. For my head, a lumber-jack hat if I’m out and about, fleece ear band if I’m working up a sweat.

The real trick, no matter what you are wearing, is having plenty of layers that you can take off and put back on to keep your temperature comfortable. The last thing you want to do in weather like that is get sweaty.

7. Ron says:

Under my pants I wear polypropylene long underwear and wool socks. Luckily I was issued three sets of polypropylene right before I got out of the Army so I always have a set ready.

8. mickeyrat says:

Oct 1st the longjohns go on and maybe May 1st they come off,always layers and good CSA snow boots with removable felts,now if only the heater in my truck would work Id be a happy clam

9. Tony says:

I live in the UP of Michigan and almost always wear normal jeans. I work outside most of the day and unless the wind chill gets below -20F I won’t wear anything extra, but I usually keep moving and don’t stand still for long. If I’m not going to be moving around or we’re dealing with a water main break I put the Carhartt Arctic Extreme overalls on and I’m warm and dry.

10. Brau says:

No use for lined jeans here. I wear a good quality set of long johns under normal jeans in most cold weather. That way I can change my jeans, or dry one pair while wearing another. In really FREAKIN’ cold weather, the jeans get replaced by a full set of snow (pants) overalls with LJ’s underneath.

11. 99octane says:

Well, you should try riding a bike at 60 MPh with 19 °F and thin cotton summer pants.
    Luckily, I don’t suffer from cold to the legs, as long as the rest of my body is warm, and had to make just 3 miles.

12. Joe C. says:

Loose jeans and flannel pajama pants underneath work well for me when long johns are too much. That way it’s easy to lose the extra layer if it warms up.

13. John says:

It’s a big problem buying anything Carhartt in the U.K so it’s difficult for me to judge on comparrison is Carhartt very much like Skillers or Snickers as we call them here? Lots of Dickies stuf about over here but I read reviews from the U.S and many seem to prefer Carhartt over Dickies work gear. I recently bought some new Snickers work trousers these are cotton lined but they are very warm in the bad months. Would love to try the Carhartt stuff though, any sugesstions on buying in the U.K ?

14. Bennicus says:

I often wear flannel pajama bottoms under my jeans all day. For the really nasty I’ll put on tight thermals, mid-weight fleece pants, then Carhartts for dry weather or snow pants for the wet. Lined jeans are great too especially with a thermal underneath.

15. Michael says:

Why lined jeans? Can’t wear them in the summer. Why longjohns? Can’t wear them around the house (by themselves).

When it is really cold, like when I go skiing outside all day in the wind, I wear a pair of sweatpants under my regular jeans. If i get the jeans wet, I can take them off if I go inside somewhere, the sweatpants are elastic and close at the bottom so they keep the heat in, and I can wear them both separately, ie the jeans in the summer and the sweatpants whenever lounging around the house–NOT at Wal-mart.

16. Scott R says:

(Forgive me for the length here, but this is a subject that I have extensive personal interest)

Here in Ohio it doesn’t usually get arctic-style cold for long. However, it does get cold enough that a couple of years ago I made the decision to close down my garage shop sometime between Halloween and Thanksgiving and not open it back up until the temperatures stabilized in the 50′s again, which happens sometime around Easter. Although for special occasions and projects I do have a 120,000 BTU propane portable heater that does a great job of warming up the garage.

When I do find myself out in the cold, I do like to keep warm. Various activities include shoveling the driveway, going to my son’s hockey games, or even ice fishing at our family lake home in Wisconsin. A few years ago my wife bought me a pair of flannel-lined jeans. They are AWESOME!. Most of the time I can get away with wearing them by themselves. Sometimes I wear them with thermal long underwear.

I’ve learned not to overdo it with socks. Instead, I have three different temperatures of insulated hiking and work boots to wear, including some of the best cold-weather boots known to man, Sorels.

I have ear muffs and several pairs of work and insulated gloves. I have cold weather jackets and tuks. I have sweaters and snow pants and scarfs. But for when it gets really cold out there (like a -50 degree morning ice fishing) I have my military issued cold weather gear. That is some of the best stuff I’ve ever seen.

My best advice would be to limit your exposure to the cold, dress as best as you can if you do have to venture out in it and keep dry.

17. Bill says:

There is no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing.

Cotton pants, lined or otherwise, are not really ideal or even advisable for cold/wet conditions. There’s a very good reason that most serious outdoorspeople don’t wear cotton in cold weather, and that reason is that cotton can kill you. A set of wool pants from the surplus store, worn over a wool or synthetic base layer is an excellent choice.

That said, most of us can make it from the car to the house without seriously endangering ourselves.

There are actually certain cold/dry or arctic conditions where cotton makes a very effective outer layer, but it’s still never used for insulation or base layers.

18. Bill says:

I see that Scott mentioned Sorel boots. Sorel is now a brand owned by Columbia, not the company that we remember. About 25% of the Sorel reviews I’ve read, of various models, indicate that not all the boots are waterproof, as claimed, nor are they particularly durable. Do your homework on winter boots, the brands we grew up with are not what they used to be.

19. Dr Bob says:

I use a set of heavy winter coveralls and when it’s really cold, I throw on a winter coat with hood over the top. Mittens, not gloves. Boots with felt inner booties. Tried a bellaclava for snow blowing, but that was more trouble that it was worth.

20. Josh says:

Up here in MN I LOVE being outdoors. This is what I wear for everything…I was just snowmobiling at -2F for the high of the day at 2PM , and -18F according to the pickup that night going home. The only variation is I may add extra layers up top, but the pants are the same. Doesn’t matter if I’m working on clearing the driveway, fixing a car, ice fishing, hunting, snowmobiling, sledding, or just playing with the kids.

The cold doesn’t scare me at all. -16F when I left the house this morning. When I’m going to be outdoors the following applies:

1. I wear a pair of snowpants. They’re not bib’s, but pants. They’re actually snowboarding pants. Snow just brushes off. Water resistant. Also they’re wind resistant, so the wind doesn’t cut through me. They’re really not that thick, have pockets. I usually wear a pair of moisture wicking work out pants underneath (they’re comfy). I feel the bib’s restrict my movement more.

2. I don’t wear cotton, holds moisture and becomes cold. Fleece and other synthetics will be warm still even when wet. not cotton. I prefer moisture wicking pants (AKA gym/workout stuff). Repeated theme from other comments, stay dry. All of this gear helps in that goal. Jeans as a base: no way.

3. Best boots I’ve ever owned: Baffin. Made in canada. Not Chinese sorels. The baffins replaced my 30+ year old sorels I got from my grandpa (when they made them good). I wear them doing the driveway, pheasant hunting, deer hunting, snowmobiling, basically anytime I’m outside. I’ve forded creeks that were up to the tops with them. Walked hundreds of muddy corn fields with them. Durable, warm.

21. Steve says:

Living in Maine I have had my share of cold weather, in fact here I sit at my computer wearing a pair of flannel lined jeans! I have several pairs as well as some other “normal” chinos that are lined. In fact you can find any regular pants out there as lined pants if you live in a cold weather location. I have several pairs and wear them to work and usually wear the jeans on the weekends. for working around the garage, yard and in and out just to stay comfortable. Now if your wanting to discuss wearing long johns or some other extra layer underneath a regular pair of pants Let me suggest the ultimate product, SILK. &Yes good old fashion SILK is the absolute hands down winner! Fleece is nice but Silk is better! Trust me I’ve work them all and you want to over heat and sweat and be uncomfortable wear what you want but for my money and to keep my @$$ warm, SILK is the only way to go.