Where do you put your glue-ups? On the floor where you might trip over them? On your bench so you have to wait for it to dry before you can be productive again? Pony Mounted Clamp Collars let you mount glue-ups on the wall and out of the way, freeing up space to get more done.

Used for 3/4″ pipe clamps, the collars slide into a bracket that you mount on the wall. The free ends of the pipe clamps slide into the collar and are secured with thumbscrews. Since the pipe clamps are hanging from the wall, you need to be careful about how much weight you put on the clamps. They recommend no more that 200 lbs. on 3-foot long pipe clamps, though I’m not sure if that’s for a single pipe clamp or two.

Pricing for the collars starts at $35 and it includes two clamping collars and the 3′ long mounting plate with the required mounting hardware. A cheaper alternative might be to grab some 3/4″ pipe flanges and mount them to your wall, except then you couldn’t slide the clamps in; you’d have to screw them in.

Mounted Clamp Collars [Adjustable Clamp Company]
Street Pricing [Google Products]

Tagged with:

6 Responses to Free Up Space When Clamping

1. Jim says:

Maybe if you left the flanges on the end of the pipe and had bolt threads projecting from the board to line up with the flange hole you could use wing nuts to fasten the flanges to the bolt threads. Of course alignment could be tricky unless you either mated the clamp by position or slotted the holes in the flanges. Not as simple as what is being sold though and would probably take another person. Or a simpler design would be if the setup was designed to hang from the ceiling (i.e. vertically) then you could use the flanges and make a large t-track out of wood. If you made it like an overhead wine glass rack you wouldn’t need to necessarily feed it all the way from the end.

2. dreamcatcher says:

What if instead I just drill some 3/4″ pipe sized holes in a 4×4 and lag that to the wall?

3. Shopmonger says:

I think it would be even more helpful to have them be quick connect, so that there would be little or no need to s third hand. and i think you would only need one per piece on most clamp up jobs, like doors and frame and panels …
    ]
    ShopMonger

4. fred says:

This might be OK for a home shop – but most homemade panel clamps that I’ve seen are tilted to use both the wall and shop floor for support. As Benjamin notes in his write-up – these are cantileverd out from the wall – so weight might be an issue

In a commercial setting – large panel clamps – like the ones we use from JLT are a better – albeit more costly solution

5. IronHerder says:

Well, I don’t know whether to thank or curse Jim & dreamcatcher. I am in the design phase for my workshop remodel, and now I need to incorporate their awesome suggestions. Better now than when I’m half way done, I guess.

Their suggestions for having fixed mounts on the wall need not incur alignment problems if a matching removable template (better using two, I’d bet) is slipped over the pipes while clamping is being done on the workbench. Remove the template, & then simply slide the assembly into the fixed mounts on the wall. Templates for pipes with flanges would have to be matching pieces with U shaped cut outs that are mounted from opposite sides.

But hanging from the ceiling can solve most the weight & space (as in “damn, that’s the third time I’ve run into those [expletive deleted] clamps”) issues, if executed well. Thank you, Jim.

IronHerder

6. DoItRite says:

Back when I rode my bicycle more (and repaired it more), I made a bike support a threaded pipe flange which was fastened on to the ceiling, then screwing in the threaded end of a ¾” pipe with a pipe clamp on the lower end. I had a rubber grip in the jaws of the clamp which held the top bar of the bike and allowed me to work on it and spin the wheels, crank the pedals, etc, all at a comfortable level.

I quickly found that a second setup a couple of feet away worked well a stationary set of clamps which support my woodworking project. I could walk all around and see every aspect during a glue-up. Also worked well for all sort of other purposes. @IronHerder is right though, pick your location carefully to avoid walking into it.

I don’t see what is much different about this product than a couple of threaded flanges. If fastened to a wall though, weight would be severely limited. Maybe some sort of hanging support from the ceiling down to the clamp handle end would solve that. Even a length of wire that could be easily adjusted.