This light has almost made the favorites list for the last two years but has been knocked out somehow or other. This year, however, it stands as proof that Milwaukee has been kicking ass of late with products that make sense. Our M12 lights have been through all manner of hell and still perform beyond expectation.

It’s a simple formula: Construct an actual flashlight (not a lighting device) and load it up with excellent features — like a very bright LED bulb and a light reflector that looks like it belongs on a Cadillac — to focus and throw the beam into a uniform pattern with no dark spot. Then, pop a 12v Li-Ion battery into place, chuck in a adjustable pitched head and surround the entire thing with tough materials. What you get after all that is a torch fit for the job site or shop.

If you already have the M12 system and haven’t added the LED flashlight to the toolbag, we recommend a quick stop at the local Milwaukee retailer on the way home. If you’re considering investing in a cordless 12v line and a work light is important to you, almost any other light is a step down, including the vaunted Mag series.

While you probably couldn’t wrestle a grizzly to a standstill with the M12 like a you could with a Mag, it does have the distinction of using its 160 Lumens to greater effect and lasting much longer on a single charge.

M12 Cordless Worklight [Milwaukee]
Street Pricing [Google Products]
Via Amazon [What’s This?]

6 Responses to TM’s Favs ’10: Milwaukee’s M12 LED Flashlight

1. fred says:

We got a number of these as a bonus (also got some M12 laser levels which are not as popular) with some past purchases of M12 tools- and I would never have guessed that they would become an asked-for tool by the crews who didn’t get one. Most everyone loves them and we now have as many or more of these than anything else in the M12 lineup.

BTW – I think that some of the M12 flashlights sold at Home Depot – may not be the LED variety – so pay attention when buying.

2. Tom says:

There is a non LED version that is $20, but the LED is $50. Way too much for a flashlight. For 50 I could get a Sure-Fire light (ok, just a cheap Sure-Fire), but still 20 or 50 for a flashlight is a ton of money, especially since it doesn’t have a battery. Add $30 for a battery and I could get that Sure-Fire light.

BTW the amazon link is to the non LED version.

3. bc says:

I have a panasonic 14.4 v flashlight. It is not the brightest but it has one feature that I think is awesome. There is a red led that flashes letting you know the battery is low…

4. Robbie_B says:

I wanted to get this flashlight ever since I heard chuck and sean raving about it on the podcast, especially since I already have the M12 screwdriver. I use flashlights a TON at my lake house, but $50 is too much for me. Although, it would be nice to have a great light with batteries that charge in 30 min… here I go talking myself into getting it..

5. Bruce says:

Those of you remarking on the price- I can only say that it’s pretty worth it. Teeny size, pretty massive light dump….Add in that a 3D Mag LED is $33, and you’re only about $10 away from getting this awesome little light. Runs for hours on a battery, and you can charge in 15 mins!

If you’re on the fence, buy this little guy. You won’t regret it.

6. ReginaPhalange says:

My current favorite flashlight (and I use it constantly throughout the day and night) is a 4Sevens Quark AA*2. Cost me about $60 (and I used to think that was an outrageous amount of money for a flashlight), gives me 205 lumens OTF, according to 4Sevens, anyway, has a low setting of .2 lumens (yes, it’s VERY useful) and a high of, obviously, 205 lumens, with several settings in between as well as a strobe, beacon and SOS (which I haven’t needed, but it’s not why I bought the light anyway).

I feed it NiMH hybrids and it loves ‘em–goes for two to three days on the same set being used at various settings throughout the day, as I said. Alkalines are also fine. It’s fine with having dirt washed off every day, it’s survived multiple drops onto asphalt (I am clumsy sometimes). It’s small, it’s light for an aluminum-bodied light, it throws its 205 lumens a good distance and there’s a turbo version I’m hoping to get eventually with even more throw.

Oh, and 4Sevens responds to customers’ emails (can’t comment on phone calls ’cause I didn’t need to take it that far). Can’t say that for a certain weapons light manufacturer that charges way more for lights that turn out to be defective…