Goldblatt’s pistol grip wire twister twists wire ties that hold rebar or steel mesh in place while you prepare to pour concrete.┬áJust hook the tie and give it two or three twists. Looking at the offset hook, I’m guessing that the hook rotates in the handle.

I’m not exactly sure how the pistol grip description fits with this tool, but Goldblatt does claim they designed the tool for “rough treatment.”┬áThere’s not much more to say about this simple tool other than pricing starts around $4 before shipping.

Wire Twister [Goldblatt]
Street Pricing [Google Products]
Via Amazon [What’s This?]

Tagged with:

8 Responses to Simple Wire Twister

1. fred says:

The hook does indeed rotate. Grab the loops of pre-made ties and give a twist. There is also a spring loaded version:

2. IronHerder says:

Maybe it counts as a pistol grip if you point your index finger out and away from the grip while you use it. Or they used the wrong photo. Or their marketing department is made up of world-class, sorry, I can’t think of an appropriate word that wouldn’t insult somebody.
    IronHerder

3. jeff_williams says:

When you use it your hand is in the shape of a pistol. Three fingers and a thumb to grip the tool and the index for keeping the tie in place while looping it around the rod intersection. I wouldn’t have considered that pistol grip though.

4. Harley says:

I have used one for a day once, WOW forget the pliers i was wiring rebar together for a concrete so fast so awesome get one you will not think about the pocket change missing from your pocket.

5. Kent says:

We call these yo-yo’s, they are quicker than tying with pliers and a reel, but you gotta carry the loop ties in your other hand and it gets awkward, usually the new guys use these and experienced guys use pliers and wire.

6. dreamcatcher says:

Q1: When tying with pliers and a “reel” are you using some sort of wire dispensing “reel” or are you just referring to the roll of wire as a reel?

Q2: By the term “pliers” which sort do you mean?

I use the pliers method just because I don’t want to have to hunt down pre-made loops every time I want to wire together rebar….not to mention a roll of wire that can be cut to any length is a shop/jobsite NECESSITY with a million uses from fencing to muffler hanging to bundling twigs and wood scraps (just to name a few).

While I use lineman’s pliers to tie, it is awkward and slow. First I unroll a length of wire from the roll (a standard roll of oiled wire that is it’s self tied together). Then I loop, give a loose twist and cut. Then I go back through and twist them all tight. Man do my wrists get sore from all that opening, closing, and twisting of the pliers.

Fortunately, I’m a remodeler not a fencer or a flatworker so I don’t break out the wire too often…..although come to think of it, I got a rattly muffler shield that could use a wire fix today. DC

7. fred says:

@Dreamcatcher

There are several dispensing reels for tie wire – and a Channellock Ironworker’s pliers – with spring opening jaw and hook on the handle is the way to go:

8. Kent says: