Looking for a killer “big present” for your favorite DIYer? Sure, lithium ion is the hot ticket, but step back to Ni-Cd and you find deals like this: a four-piece DeWalt cordless kit — hammer-drill, impact driver, recip saw, and flashlight — for under $400, complete with a battery and charger.

The kit includes the the DCD951 hammer-drill, delivering 420 unit-watts of power, and featuring a 3-speed all-metal transmission and 1/2″ ratcheting keyless chuck, the DC825 impact driver, outputting 1,335 in-lbs of torque via 0-2,400 RPM variable speed, and the DC385 recip saw. You also get the DW908 pivoting-head flashlight.

Again, there are a lot newer DeWalt options available, but we still think finding this under the tree would make a lot of people happy. And if they really want to upgrade to li-ion down the road, the DC9180C kit ($150) provides a li-ion battery and charger that works fine with this kit. So it’s an option.

DCK445X 4-Piece Kit Via Amazon [What’s This?]
DC9180C Li-Ion Battery/Charger Via Amazon [What’s This?]

13 Responses to Dealmonger: DeWalt XRP 18V 4-Piece Kit for $389

1. PutnamEco says:

BTBCOO..
    You’ll end up spending more in the long run, Those Ni-Cds will be pretty tired after a year of daily use, where as for a few bucks more, (about the cost of 1 replacement battery) you could get a few years of daily use out of a Li-Ion powered set like the Makita LXT407X1

2. Nick says:

I know the tool quality isn’t quite up there but I just got the ryobi 1+ nicad kit, with drill, circ saw, and recip. And they throw in another tool of your choice(impact driver in my case) all for under $200 at the depot. Upgrade to the lithium batteries whenever you want. New batteries work in old tools and vise versa. And so what if your drill quits in 2 years. With all the money you saved buy another one.

3. DaveD says:

Are Ni-Cds really that bad? I had to get new batteries for my 18v Dewalt Hammerdrill after 5 or so years of use and I read lots of bad reviews about lithium batteries (they don’t hold a charge as long between use, don’t last as long, etc). I ended up getting a 2 pack at Lowe’s for the price of one. The weight savings would’ve been nice…..

4. Bill says:

This isn’t a deal. That technology is so old. Get a lithium ion set and get something that will be good to use. A lithium 18v drill is nearly 1/2 the weight of a dewalt XRP. Go to HD or Lowes and pick up one of each and see what would be better to use. For lithium sets, go with makita or milwaukee, both really good sets.

5. PutnamEco says:

Re: DaveD Says:
    Are Ni-Cds really that bad?
    ———————-
    It’s not that they are that bad, it is just that Li-Ion are that much better. I’ve never really gotten much more than a years use out of any of the Ni-Cds I’ve used regularly, where as I regularly get three to five years life out of the Li-Ion. I believe that I get about twice the run time on most tools with the Li-ion batteries, especially when it come to either really demanding tools usage like in a sawzalls or in fairly undemanding tools like work lights. The only time I really ever left a battery unused for any amount of time, approximately 1 month, I could not notice any appreciable loss of charge.
    The only downsides that I’m aware of is that they don’t really have good cold weather performance, but since I live in Florida that is not much of an issue for me personally, and I haven’t found anyone rebuilding Li-Ion batteries yet.

6. jeff_williams says:

Hm, I’m on the opposite side of the spectrum. I love my Ni-Cds. Granted I use them in the cold (MN). My Li-ions (12v) I keep in my jacket to keep them warm. For me the additional cost of the Li-ion for my 18v tools doesn’t fit my needs.

7. Julian Tracy says:

If you only got a year out of your nicads, then you were either buying crappy sets and/or batteries or just plain treating them bad.

It’s common knowledge that name-brand nicads with good treatment can see daily use and last at least 2-3 years. Good treatment means giving them a deep charge when new, ONLY charging them when they need it, ie, not parking them on the charger nightly, not charging them while they are hot or out in the sun, etc.

I’ve heard Milwaukee’s batts (nicads) weren’t that good, but my Bosch 18volt blue-batts have given me a good 4-5 years each. And that Dewalt set is fullyu compatable with the new Dewalt Li-Ion tool batteries as well – EXACT same tools as what is included in the LiIon tool sets – notice the smaller bases that don’t fully cover the older Nicad battery yellow top.

I’m no old dog – I use as my main set the Makita LXT system and only still use the specialized tools from my Bosch setup. When the Bosch batts finally die, I’ll make an adapter to allow them to run with my LXT batts.

Julian

8. rg says:

One advantage of nicads is that instead of buying a brand new replacement pack from the manufacturer, you can have your old one rebuilt for a much lower price at a battery vendor — around $50/ea. for an 18V pack rebuild, from what I’ve seen.

Quite often you can even get higher-capacity nicad cells for your old battery pack, while you’re at it.

You can also buy individual tabbed nicad cells, if you want to do it yourself.

9. Kevin says:

That’s not a good deal at all. You can get a Makita LXT kit for not much more and its the best cordless kit made. dewalt have been trying to palm people off with these ni-cd sets for over 5 years whilst other companies that make real tools have been using li-ion. You would have to be out of your mind to even consider dewalt. They are tools for the diyer and nothing more.

10. PutnamEco says:

Re:
    Julian Tracy Says:
    If you only got a year out of your nicads…
    ——-
    I used mine moderately hard. I did run four batteries, enough to work a circular saw or sawzall. Sometime charging them up to five times a day. No I didn’t over charge them, I did on occasion charge them hot, hard to avoid at times, but did try not to. Since I upgraded to Li-Ion I have cut my number of charges in half, and can usually last until lunch instead of breaktime before I have to look for the charger.
    ————————————————————————————————–
    Re:
    EXACT same tools as what is included in the LiIon tool sets
    —-
    The drill offered in the above kit is the DCD951 drill the Lith-Ion kit has the DCD970 drill two different tools
    ———————————————————————————————————
    Re:
    DaveD Says:

Maybe you are confusing them with Nickel Metal Hydride (NiMH) batteries?

11. DaveD says:

Re:
    PutnamEco Says:
    Maybe you are confusing them with Nickel Metal Hydride (NiMH) batteries?
    ____________

Those were just some comments I saw on Dewalt’s site and I think perhaps Amazon when I was researching the cost of replacing my NiMH batteries and considering getting Li-On instead. Like I said, I found a 2 pack of NiMH batteries at Lowe’s on special for $100 so I got that instead of having to get a new charger as well as new batteries…. I think my next cordless device will probably be Li-On though….

12. Robbie_B says:

Spending close to $400 for NiCad tools is crazy. Totally crazy. Go get yourself some Li-Ion, you’ll be glad you did.

13. fred says:

I’ll put my oar in the water in favor of the Makita LXT line for 18V tools. We haven’t done any side by side comparison testing ala one of those consumer mags – but we have enough of the Makita line to buy the 1830 batteries in ten packs when we need them. Their 3 circular saws work as intended and their right angle drill is a favorite among the crews.

We have installers and plumbers – who have different applications that favor more compact tools – and we standardized on the Milwaukee M12 line – where their Red Lithium batteries (repotedly better cold weather performance) seem to be just hitting the market. We just received a couple of their cordless oscillating multi tools that were shipped with the Red Lithium batteries – so I haven’t heard any feedback yet – and may never – because the tool itself will probably be compared to our corded Feins